When is too many at a glider meet

Old June 24th 15, 05:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default When is too many at a glider meet

I recently learned that Bruno has increased the number of gliders for the Nephi, UT event to 80. That's right, eight zero. IMHO, that is too many, even if FLARM is mandated. There will be pilots there from virtually zero cross country time to seasoned racers. They may be lulled into a false sense of complacency until a storm forces the entire field back to the airport at once, creating chaos. I get the bad feeling that this number will keep increasing - or stay the same - until there is a fatality.
Old June 24th 15, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 10:02:06 PM UTC-6, 2G wrote:
I recently learned that Bruno has increased the number of gliders for the Nephi, UT event to 80. That's right, eight zero. IMHO, that is too many, even if FLARM is mandated. There will be pilots there from virtually zero cross country time to seasoned racers. They may be lulled into a false sense of complacency until a storm forces the entire field back to the airport at once, creating chaos. I get the bad feeling that this number will keep increasing - or stay the same - until there is a fatality.

Actually what you heard is not correct. There will be 96 gliders at our event. I was hoping for 100 but we couldn't quite make it. Darn!

All kidding aside, sorry but you heard wrong. We are not sure of the final numbers due to many last minute drop outs, but it will be somewhere in the 60's with 6 tow planes. Last year we had 68 gliders attend and it worked out well, both at the airport and in the air. The largest gaggle seen last year only had around a half dozen gliders in it. Utah air and thermals offer lots of room.

Bruno - B4
Old June 24th 15, 12:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glen

On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 12:02:06 AM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
I recently learned that Bruno has increased the number of gliders for the Nephi, UT event to 80. That's right, eight zero. IMHO, that is too many, even if FLARM is mandated. There will be pilots there from virtually zero cross country time to seasoned racers. They may be lulled into a false sense of complacency until a storm forces the entire field back to the airport at once, creating chaos. I get the bad feeling that this number will keep increasing - or stay the same - until there is a fatality.

Last year about 10% went home with damaged gliders, from what I heard not much organization, too busy going to the bank.
Old June 24th 15, 12:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

He would probably fly a Quintus... Assuming you could still buy one... The Nimbus 4 is no longer considered competitive.
Old June 24th 15, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wheaton

I like the positive attitude displayed in many rec soaring comments including yours. (that's a joke son). I attended twice last year. One of the best organized events glider or otherwise. I also landed out with some damage. My choice of what looked like a good field not the number of gliders in the event. The other land outs were not a issue, fields and airports.. If you are not prepared to break you glider then don't do cross country or by a motor glider or like my wife says take up ping pong.
Old June 24th 15, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

You're kidding me right?
Old June 24th 15, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

I realize your comments are satire, however, the Nimbus 4 is a wonderful glider and fully competitive in National contests. I think the Nimbus always gave away a bit to the ASW-22. The problem the Nimbus had was too much wing, which makes it a great fun glider. It can stay in the air when nothing else can. If you are not a world level competitor the Nimbus4 is an amazing glider, fun and easy to fly and it goes forever. I would have loved to buy a Quintus, but with the problems at Lange, no more Quintus

I do hope both Schempp and Schleicher get back into the single place open market with top designs!

Old June 24th 15, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

He would probably fly a Quintus... Assuming you could still buy one... The Nimbus 4 is no longer considered competitive.

Looks like the streams crossed. Most of these comments should be under a different parent post.

Old June 24th 15, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
howard banks

The opening post really illustrates the bipolar nature of RAS. At one end it is a super place to ask serious questions and get quick and accurate responses and counsel from people who know. At the other, it is a place where it is: Make it up (too many pills? smoking stuff?) -- fire (as in post) --- then wait and see.
Bruno's post was spot on.
HL
PS: I heard his aim was really 200 gliders with two tow planes and that he already has an EB-29 in place at Bitterwasser. The mizerable sod won't let me go fly it, which is why I am snitching and telling you all.

Old June 24th 15, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Bruno,

You've got a ways to go to keep up with the Joneses (or more appropriately the Juhaszes)... there are over 110 registered for the European Gliding Championships in Hungary next month. That's right - one one zero. Slacker.

Erik Mann (P3)

p.s. Not to respond to troll bait, but there are places where 40 gliders is plenty and places where 100 wouldn't be out of the question. And I certainly can't think of any technical sites (mountains, ridges, forests, etc.) where there isn't some level of risk. Anyone that isn't aware of that is probably not ready to go to this sort of encampment or to leave the house unsupervised for that matter.

swap meet ??? Tri-Pacer[_2_] Owning 0 November 10th 08 11:27 PM
swap meet ??? Tri-Pacer[_2_] Home Built 0 November 10th 08 11:27 PM
swap meet ??? Tri-Pacer[_2_] Aviation Marketplace 0 November 10th 08 11:27 PM
Pedophiles to meet at TIW C J Campbell Piloting 5 April 3rd 04 08:06 AM
WWII glider pilots meet in Sicily Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 July 15th 03 03:11 AM