Glider schools - opinions (US)

Old June 14th 04, 06:58 PM
Chris K

Default Glider schools - opinions (US)

I am fortunate to have a lot of time-off piled up.
Lately I have been thinking about a soaring vacation.
I have narrowed down my choices to 'Soar Minden' in
Nevada and 'Estrella Soaring' in Arizona (a little
concerned about July heat in phx). Has anybody had
any experience with the above schools? Can you recommend
others (preferably South West)? I am a commercial
power pilot looking for a transition type of training.
Would one week be enough (including the checkride)?

Thanks in advance.

Old June 14th 04, 09:08 PM
Bill Daniels

"Chris K" wrote in message
I am fortunate to have a lot of time-off piled up.
Lately I have been thinking about a soaring vacation.
I have narrowed down my choices to 'Soar Minden' in
Nevada and 'Estrella Soaring' in Arizona (a little
concerned about July heat in phx). Has anybody had
any experience with the above schools? Can you recommend
others (preferably South West)? I am a commercial
power pilot looking for a transition type of training.
Would one week be enough (including the checkride)?

Thanks in advance.

I can't think of a better way to use a bunch of time off.

Both Estrella and Minden are excellent choices. To them I would add Warner
Springs in Southern California, Marfa Gliders in Marfa, Texas, Mile High in
Boulder, CO and Sundance in Moriarty, NM.

Sundance offers wide open skies, great soaring, wonderful people to fly with
and laid back New Mexico ambiance. Warner is a big, private airfield far
from heavy air traffic with great soaring weather. Marfa is a legendary
West Texas soaring site run by SSA Master Cross Country Instructor Burt
Compton. You can't learn from a better master. Mile High in Boulder offers
great soaring and probably the most beautiful scenery anywhere.

Enjoy!

Bill Daniels

Old June 14th 04, 09:36 PM
JJ Sinclair

I can highly recommend Soar Minden. They have 12 sailplanes for rent and offer
several package deals. He will even pick you up at Reno International. You
can't beat the soaring, we just finished a week that offered wave, thermal and
some kickass *push the nose over, we're going through 17, soaring*.
Night life ain't bad eather,
JJ Sinclair
Old June 14th 04, 11:03 PM
S.J. Scialfa

Chris K wrote in message ...
I am fortunate to have a lot of time-off piled up.
Lately I have been thinking about a soaring vacation.
I have narrowed down my choices to 'Soar Minden' in
Nevada and 'Estrella Soaring' in Arizona (a little
concerned about July heat in phx). Has anybody had
any experience with the above schools? Can you recommend
others (preferably South West)? I am a commercial
power pilot looking for a transition type of training.
Would one week be enough (including the checkride)?

Thanks in advance.

Soar Minden would be a great place. There are may other activities
there with it's close proximity to Lake Tahoe. Not to mention the
soaring is pretty darn good!!
Old June 14th 04, 11:27 PM
Roy Epperson

I can second or is it third or.... Soar Minden. Here's my story and I'm
sticking to it
http://roye.home.netcom.com/soaring/index.html

Old June 14th 04, 11:34 PM
Robert de León

Sundance offers wide open skies, great soaring, wonderful people to fly with
and laid back New Mexico ambiance. Warner is a big, private airfield far
from heavy air traffic with great soaring weather. Marfa is a legendary
West Texas soaring site run by SSA Master Cross Country Instructor Burt
Compton. You can't learn from a better master.

I agree: Burt's and excellent instructor.

He has a cabin that you can rent for your stay. Marfa's elevation is almost
5,000ft. and the summer temps aren't terrible. Big Bend National Park is
nearby as is Fort Davis State Park and the McDonald Observatory. Great
scenery. Boomin' thermals.

Depending on where you're coming from, it can be a bit of a drive. Minden
has the advantage of being close to a major airport. Marfa is 3.5-4 hours
drive from Midland/Odessa International (served by Southwest and
Continental).

Yes: you should be able to knock out your rating in a week if the WX
cooperates.

Old June 15th 04, 02:12 AM
Bill Zaleski

I had a fantastic time getting my CFIG at Driggs, Idaho. Don't know
if they are now operating, but soaring the Tetons was a trip. The
people were great with an examiner on staff.

Old June 15th 04, 03:11 AM
Ted Wagner

I did my instruction at Estrella last September - November and I can't say
enough positive things about my experience there. (I'm a former power pilot
student and a long-time skydiver and skydiving instructor, so I've had my
brushes with bad instruction, and I know the good when I see it.)

But with those two choices, you can't lose.

-ted

Old June 15th 04, 11:34 PM
OscarCVox

If you are not worried about a bit of paper for a type conversion to gliders
why not try europe? Because they are mainly clubs rather than commercial
flying schools the flying costs tend to be cheaper.
For example a 5 day course at Lasham in the UK is 550 uk pounds (peak season)
and accomodation is 10 pounds a night.
With 12 training gliders, 5 tugs and 2 winches you will always have something
to fly

Sport Pilot - School Won't Offer Gary G Piloting 38 February 16th 05 11:41 AM
Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 04:57 PM
"I Want To FLY!"-(Youth) My store to raise funds for flying lessons Curtl33 General Aviation 7 January 10th 04 12:35 AM
I wish I'd never got into this... Kevin Neave Soaring 32 September 19th 03 12:18 PM
Restricting Glider Ops at Public Arpt. rjciii Soaring 36 August 25th 03 04:50 PM