Oshkosh 2005 pictures up

Old August 11th 05, 05:01 AM
Dave Stadt

wrote in message
Dave Stadt said
Two people in charge of evening activities at the EAA were there for

the
show and I asked them what the deal was. Apparently these guys from

South
Africa make the trek every year and throw this huge party. The food

looked
good (I was a bit late to try it out), the music was absolutely great,

and
the atmosphere was...well, it was uniquely Camp Scholler I guess. The

guy
playing guitar and singing covered quite a few tunes in the short

while
was there. I'll even admit to being moved by his rendition of John

Denver
songs (okay, so Denver isn't that bad, just cliche!).

All in all, it looked like a really great time. I wish I had

discovered
it
earlier in the evening/week. I'll surely catch it next year.

The South African contingent has been camping in the same spot for

several
years that I know of. They have their own small building with
communications capability back home and other very civilized amenities.
Next year you should try to make it to Swine Fest or however they spell

it.
It involves a slow cooked dead animal and other culinary delights. It

is
held pretty close to where the South Africans camp.

I was wondering what the building was. I just assumed it was something the
airport had put up. How do they get all the stuff over here? Do they ship

it
on ahead of them and then fly over commercially? I'll hit up Swine Fest

next
year. I'll be doing a lot more exploring in Scholler to seek out the night
life. This year I was a newbie and would be out on the flightline from
morning till 11pm, by which time I just wanted to rest.

-Tony Goetz

Don't know any logistical details but it would appear they buy matching
tents by the dozen. They do know how to have a good time.

Old August 11th 05, 05:09 AM
Jim Burns

I seem to have a few foggy memories of Tilly's Bar.
Jim

wrote in message
Jim Burns pointed out,
Tony,
Your "unidentified small town" in Wisconsin on the way to OSH, is

Wautoma,
where Mike Crowell crashed. Also known as the town with the Ercoupe on

the
gas station roof.
Jim

Ah yes. Thanks Jim! I couldn't remember where I took the shot, I just knew

liked it.

-Tony Goetz

Old August 11th 05, 05:11 AM

"Dave Stadt" wrote...
I was wondering what the building was. I just assumed it was something

the
airport had put up. How do they get all the stuff over here? Do they

ship it
on ahead of them and then fly over commercially?

Don't know any logistical details but it would appear they buy matching
tents by the dozen. They do know how to have a good time.

Well, no argument there....

-Tony Goetz

Old August 11th 05, 08:31 AM

The South African contingent has been camping in the same spot for
several
years that I know of. They have their own small building with
communications capability back home and other very civilized

amenities.
Next year you should try to make it to Swine Fest or however they

spell
it. It involves a slow cooked dead animal and other culinary delights.

It
is held pretty close to where the South Africans camp.

Out of curiosity, did anyone here in rec.aviation land happen to record
audio and/or video of the guy playing guitar at the South Africa camp,
whether this year or a previous year? I especially liked his rendition of
"Country Roads" this year ("...you can have virginia, we've got Oshkosh,
take me home country roads...."). I'd be more than happy to reimburse for
A/V tape and shipping if someone can help me out. I'd like to show friends
and family - it has more impact than just explaining it.

Worth a shot....
thanks!

-Tony Goetz

Old August 12th 05, 02:21 AM

Of course, now I'm hooked on the experience. I have an annual trip I'll
have
to take every summer.

hehe...I'll bet you started planning next year about the third day of
the show this year. Um...don't ask me how I know that...pure
speculation...um, sort of :-)

--
Jack Allison

What makes you think I waited that long? The minute I got out of the LA area
by car, I knew I had the perfect excuse for a summer road trip every year.
That is, until I get my flying contraption built and in the air.

Oh how I love this flying nonsense!

-Tony

Old August 12th 05, 04:22 AM
Jay Honeck

Oh how I love this flying nonsense!

Oh, Tony -- I'm so sorry.

Does your family know you've got the aviation, uh, you know?

;-)

(It's incurable, you know -- thank goodness!)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 12th 05, 04:38 AM

Oh how I love this flying nonsense!

Oh, Tony -- I'm so sorry.

Does your family know you've got the aviation, uh, you know?

;-)

(It's incurable, you know -- thank goodness!)
--
Jay Honeck

Know?! It's genetic! I've had it since birth, and my dad before me, and his
dad too!

-Tony Goetz

Old August 12th 05, 05:14 AM
Jay Honeck

You know, if a gang regularly went to OSH camping, they could get all of
the
stuff they need every year, and rent one of those small climate controlled
storage units, and just go and get their stuff when they get there, and
put
if back when they leave. It would be a good way to have a lot of luxury
stuff, without having to deal with shipping, or packing every year.

Wow, that's almost creepy, Jim. Mary and I were just talking about how
great it would be if someone would build a gazillion of those stupid storage
units (basically glorified miniature garages) on Wittman Field.

I'm sure hundreds (thousands?) of us would rent them for the whole year,
just so we'd have a place to store all the stuff we bring to (and from) OSH
each year.

I'm surprised EAA hasn't jumped on this as a money-making proposition.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Oshkosh 2005 pictures up Home Built 4 August 11th 05 08:24 AM
Oshkosh Pictures Marv Home Built 2 August 2nd 05 01:14 AM
Oshkosh Pictures are up.. Dennis Home Built 0 August 8th 04 03:52 PM
Oshkosh Pictures are up.. Dennis Instrument Flight Rules 0 August 8th 04 03:52 PM
Oshkosh Pictures are up.. Dennis Owning 0 August 8th 04 03:52 PM