Flying without FAA medical or insurance

Old January 3rd 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Flying without FAA medical or insurance

I don't think the FAA has the authority to send anyone to jail - has
anybody
ever heard of being arrested by the FAA?

("David Lesher" wrote)
There are FAA Special Agents. Find the story of Gregory Travis's
hijacking...

http://www.prime-mover.org/Personal/travis.txt
Fantastic read! ...and funny.

His 1991 rec.aviation story starts below the news piece:

"Ok, so you get the general idea. Here's an eyewitness account:"

[Random snips]

"My plane was in its hangar. The closest source of water was a few hangar
rows away. I took my tools (bucket, mops, etc) over to rinse them out. In a
few minutes a young man appeared (out of nowhere) with a shotgun and
announced that I was his hostage."

"Turns out he was looking for authority figures to blow away. He told me he
had tried to kill his boss that night, but couldn't find him."

"During my preflight of the airplane I reach in and set a certain box. I am
almost nailed but lie and say I was reaching for a chart (which was next to
the box, thank god.)"

"I actually remember thinking how nice it was to fly at night without
worrying about the engine because I am so scared of getting my head blown
off. My passenger is getting very nervous due to the rain."

Montblack

Old January 3rd 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Doodybutch wrote:

It's my post, Matt, not yours.

You may have authored it, but the minute you posted it to Usenet you lost
control of it.

I can ask for anything I want.

True, and you can **** directly into the wind, too.

--
Peter
Old January 3rd 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I've heard rumor that some states have penal codes that prohibit flying
w/o a license (i.e. you can go to jail). (or more likely taxiing an
airplane for the purpose of flight since states have almost no power
regarding airbourne aircraft). Certainly the feds don't have the
ability to send you to jail.

-Robert

Old January 4th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 1 Jan 2006 14:28:01 -0800, "darthpup"
wrote:

First, you are required by FAA regulations to have a physical.
Second, in some states it is mandatory to have insurance.

It's a given that the first was going to be ignored.
Make the assumption that we are not in one of the second states.

If you violate both the above you would probably have your license
revoked and charged by the state for violation of the law.

How do they revoke what you didn't have?

Of course if you do the above and have an accident then the judical
vermin would ravage your carcass in court.

Get blood out of a turnip? I think one of the lawyers in the
following case may have used the turnip phrase when speaking to the
insurance company lawyers.

Not long ago there was a CFI checking out a pilot in their new twin.
I'm not sure what went wrong, but they did a gear up in a *NEW* twin.
As can be expected the owner's insurance company went after the CFI
who has almost nothing. They might be able to garnishee the CFI's
wages if the CFI ever gets a steady job and makes enough to get above
the poverty level. So far it's been nada! The FAA did require some
remedial training for the CFI, but that was it. (as I understand it)

IF you have little financially and your kids are grown and gone you'd
have little to lose, at least up until recently. It's highly unlikely
someone is going to be flying an expensive airplane without insurance
or a valid medical.

Admittedly, if an individual has enough income to pay the rent for the
house or apartment, and gas for the plane this rapidly becomes a risky
proposition. The feds *might* not take everything you have, but the
insurance companies will if they can.

This is not really a difficult problem to consider.

Is there a pilot here who thinks he will not be caught???

There have been many who weren't.

Many a year ago (both pilots have long since been planted before I
moved here and that was 21 years ago)... Let's call them Joe and Sam.

Sam had passed and a bunch of the guys were back at the hangar telling
tall tales with Joe looking a tad more down than the rest. One of the
guys asked Joe why he was so down. Joe remarked that he just wasn't
going to be able to fly any more with Sam gone. When told he'd get
over it, he explained, "No I can fly without Sam as I always filed
IFR using his Name." (Joe didn't have the instrument rating). At this
there was a whole lot of laughter with another explaining, "Joe, you
got nothing to worry about as Sam never had an instrument rating
either!". Joe had been doing this for years.

It may be told in my own way, but I'm just repeating what I was told
about two of the past old timers who used to fly out of the area.

Things have changed much since then. For one, in Michigan the planes
need a state registration with a sticker that goes on the tail Other
than that there are no flags hanging out to say, "Hey! this one needs
to be ramp checked!"

However I don't think I'd want to do it and run the risk of being ramp
checked 1000 miles from home. Besides, most of my stuff is paid for
and I'd have too much to lose.

Until recently you would probably have risked little more than a fine
(if that) in most states. If you were caught and the plane was sold
by the time the case came up, probably not much would be done. Now
days it's a different world and with them getting picky about aircraft
registration, I'd assume they are going to be as picky about pilots.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Roger
Old January 4th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 23:27:11 GMT, "Dave Stadt"
wrote:

"darthpup" wrote in message
oups.com...
First, you are required by FAA regulations to have a physical.
Second, in some states it is mandatory to have insurance.

If you violate both the above you would probably have your license
revoked and charged by the state for violation of the law.

Of course if you do the above and have an accident then the judical
vermin would ravage your carcass in court.

This is not really a difficult problem to consider.

Is there a pilot here who thinks he will not be caught???

He could probably fly for decades and never get caught. Fly in and out of
small Podunk strips. Doing so is much more common than many think. Same as
driving a car without a license or insurance.

According to our local police department that is almost a third of the
drivers in our county.

Old January 4th 06, 06:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

hours. She kept a log-they just weren't valid. Viktor Belenko had the
same problem, I believe- they would have honored his Soviet military
pilot card and logs, but they were back in Mother Russia, and the Sovs
weren't about to forward them! When the Wall came down they did, and he
was able to get advanced ratings-I don't know if he ever got a MiG LOA!

What's Victor up nowdays?

Kent

Old January 5th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"
What's Victor up nowdays?

What I meant to ask was what is Belenko up nowadays? I remember the
headlines ofhis trip to Japan, then heard stories of him flying with U.S
military training groups during the late '80's but nothing since then.

Kent

Old January 5th 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Well, let me tell you some stories.

My girlfriend bought her first airplane in North Dakota (or somewhere
near) from a guy who just got his private license a few years prior. He
had been flying for decades. He had many friends who still had no
licenses. He owned an experimental biplane, which he barnstormed in -
and yes, I do mean he charged money for aerobatic rides. No
commercial, no parachutes, experimental airplane.

I know at least one airline captain who had several hours actual IMC,
on an IFR flight plan, with approaches and all, before he ever STARTED
working on his instrument rating.

There was, until recently, a student pilot based at my home field. In
fact, I soloed him at one point. He was just about ready for his
checkride - and then stopped taking lessons. Didn't stop flying, mind
you. He still flies, and carries passengers. No license. I sweated
this for the first 90 days, but now the endorsement I gave him is long
expired.

My girlfriend bought her third airplane from a guy who owned a Cessna
150 and later a TriPacer. He couldn't get a medical, but it didn't
stop him from accumulating hundreds of hours in the plane. It was not
until he bought an ultralight (which he COULD fly legally) that he
crashed.

This sort of thing is WAY more common than you think it is. I hear
there's an FAA initiative to have 50% of Alaska's pilots licensed by
2010. Based on my estimate of how many there are doing this, I am
surprised there are not more accidents in the NTSB database by
unlicensed pilots. I can only assume they are, as a whole, safer than
the general pilot population. But you asked about consequences. Here
goes.

A friend of mine (in fact, the same airline captain who had more IMC
experience than most CFII's before he got started on his rating) got
his glider license and tow pilot checkout at a little operation not far
from DC. Most of his training was done by an old geezer who instructed
and towed for the operation, but the final signoffs were done by
someone else for reasons that were never explained to him. One day,
the old geezer showed up, pulled out a glider, and asked my friend to
give him a tow. He dropped off about 1500 ft in good lift, and was
soon over the horizon.

Several hours later, they got a call. The old geezer had flown the
glider cross country and had landed - at Dulles International! In his
own words, he "had never been there and wanted to check it out."
Operations were shut down for 30 minutes while they figured out what to
do and got the sailplane off the runway.

The story unraveled. The geezer had lost his medical - and kept
flying, power as well as glider. He got caught (he wasn't exactly
keeping a low profile) and his license was pulled. He kept flying.
And now he was caught again. And what do you suppose the FAA did?
Told him not to do it again. He kept flying after that too.

So it goes.

Michael