Do they know something we don't

Old August 1st 03, 05:09 PM
Rick Pellicciotti

Default Do they know something we don't

regarding the new Sport Pilot and Sport Plane rule? Here's why I ask:

The news from Airventure is that the rule has left the FAA and is on the way
to DOT. Quoting from the Airventure website:
"Major Step Forward for Sport Pilot Rule Announced at EAA AirVenture
July 31, 2003 - The new sport pilot and light-sport aircraft (SP/LSA)
categories passed a major milestone today when FAA Administrator Marion
Blakey announced at the Experimental Aircraft Association's (EAA) annual EAA
AirVenture fly-in that the FAA had completed work on the final rule. The
rulemaking package has now been forwarded to the Department of
Transportation (DOT) for review."

Also in the news from Airventure, two well-known manufacturers have
announced they will enter into the Sport Plane market, namely, Mooney and
Maule.

Mooney will be importing the TOXO from Spain and assembling it here.

Maule showed a new airplane targeted for the Light Sport Aircraft market.

Here's the deal though. Neither one of these airplanes meets the rule as we
know it. The TOXO has too high a landing speed and too high of a cruise
speed. The Maule, weighs 1000 pounds empty which means the useful load will
only be 232 pounds. Not very useful.

I'm just wondering if these manufacturers know something we don't about the
final rule or on the other hand, are they building airplanes to a rule that
they don't understand?

Rick Pellicciotti
http://www.belleairetours.com

Old August 1st 03, 09:34 PM
BD5ER

I'm just wondering if these manufacturers know something we don't about the
final rule or on the other hand, are they building airplanes to a rule that
they don't understand?

Maybe after watching all the "fat" ultralights fly around vertually unmolested
they think they can bend the new rules as well?

I'd almost bet that Rotax will introduce a derated 912, somewhere around 75-80
Hp, and call it something like a 912LS just for the new LSA's. And one wonders
how long before the owners discover that it's probably pretty easy and
inexpensive to convert them back to "normal" 912's.

"course that wouldn't be legal, at least not any more than 350lb 103's.........

Old August 1st 03, 10:03 PM
Kevin McCue

The 912 is 80 hp. The 912S is 100 hp.

--
Kevin McCue
KRYN

Old August 1st 03, 11:34 PM
Morgans

"BD5ER" wrote in message
I'm just wondering if these manufacturers know something we don't about

the
final rule or on the other hand, are they building airplanes to a rule

that
they don't understand?

Maybe after watching all the "fat" ultralights fly around vertually

unmolested
they think they can bend the new rules as well?

I'd almost bet that Rotax will introduce a derated 912, somewhere around

75-80
Hp, and call it something like a 912LS just for the new LSA's. And one

wonders
how long before the owners discover that it's probably pretty easy and
inexpensive to convert them back to "normal" 912's.

"course that wouldn't be legal, at least not any more than 350lb

103's.........

It doesn't matter what the HP is rated at. In the last version we saw, the
new rule only cared how fast it would go, level at WOT.
--

---Jim in NC---

Old August 1st 03, 11:58 PM
Rich S.

"Morgans" post/the/group.here.net wrote in message

It doesn't matter what the HP is rated at. In the last version we saw,

the
new rule only cared how fast it would go, level at WOT.

How would the rule apply to Zeppelins?

Rich "Gross weight or mass?" S.

Old August 2nd 03, 01:30 AM
BD5ER

It doesn't matter what the HP is rated at. In the last version we saw, the
new rule only cared how fast it would go, level at WOT.

Last one I saw said continuos rated power not maximum? Maximum power is the
determining factor for a Part 103 UL.

From my copy of the NPRM:
============
A light-sport aircraft would have a maximum speed in level flight with maximum
continuous power (VH) of 115 knots. This limits the commanded kinetic energy of
an aircraft
============
Has this been revised?
I also mis quoted the Rotax Hp, but the idea is the same.
Old August 2nd 03, 02:32 AM
Morgans

"BD5ER" wrote in message
It doesn't matter what the HP is rated at. In the last version we saw,

the
new rule only cared how fast it would go, level at WOT.

Last one I saw said continuos rated power not maximum? Maximum power is

the
determining factor for a Part 103 UL.

From my copy of the NPRM:
============
A light-sport aircraft would have a maximum speed in level flight with

maximum
continuous power (VH) of 115 knots. This limits the commanded kinetic

energy of
an aircraft
============
Has this been revised?
I also mis quoted the Rotax Hp, but the idea is the same.

I saw something that said you could not place something likie a RPM
restriction, or anything else that could be easily overcome by a pilot.
Therefore, it sounds to me like WOT = Max Cont Power.
--
---Jim in NC---

Old August 2nd 03, 03:19 AM
BD5ER

I saw something that said you could not place something likie a RPM
restriction, or anything else that could be easily overcome by a pilot.
Therefore, it sounds to me like WOT = Max Cont Power.

I would have expected the FAA to follow the precedent established with 103 and
do it this way, but I hope they don't. A little extra power available for
takeoff and other "emergencies" would be nice.

We'll just all have to wait until the rule is final to see what it says, and
then a few months to see how the words are going to be interoperated in various
parts of the country.......
Old August 2nd 03, 02:53 PM
Morgans

that is an interesting number they picked.
my W8 Tailwind cruises at 114knots at 2500rpm on the O-200.
sounds like useful little aeroplanes will come out of the LSA.
Stealth Pilot

How about the empty weight, and useful load at 1232 lbs. gross? Does it
work in all of the other figures like stall dirty and clean?
--
---Jim in NC---