Krosno?

Old April 23rd 05, 06:45 PM
Stewart Kissel

Default Krosno?

As mentioned in the two place thread...on paper this
aircraft appears to have a lot going for it. So why
not more around? Production issues? It has been certificated
when PZL built it, has it not?

Old April 23rd 05, 08:32 PM
Vaughn

"Stewart Kissel" wrote in message
As mentioned in the two place thread...on paper this
aircraft appears to have a lot going for it. So why
not more around? Production issues? It has been certificated
when PZL built it, has it not?

The Poles are great engineers, and great craftsmen, but seem to have little
business background. Resultantly, the Krosno failed on a business level.
Things finally got so bad that the Barrys were making trips to the factory in
Poland to personally arrange for parts to keep their own fleet going. When it
was obvious that things were getting even worse, they simply (it was not simple)
bought the project and brought it to the USA. According to the FAA this is the
first time a certified aircraft production facility has been moved from Europe
to the US, so they have been feeling their way through the paperwork jungle. I
have visited the Barry's factory, and the production fixtures are something to
behold.

I have flown the Krosno at all levels of ability, Student, Private,
Commercial and CFIG, and find it to be an altogether safe and honest machine.
It is a great commercial rides, instruction, and rental glider. It is made to
be tied out on the end of the flight line and used 7 day a week (as the say in
the horse world "be ridden hard and put away wet"). It is not a glider that
comes apart and slips into a trailer in ten minutes, so that will limit its use
as a personal glider.

Vaughn

Old April 25th 05, 12:53 PM
Charles Petersen

I ordered one for Freedom's Wings Canada (www.freedomswings.ca), modified
with a rudder stick and lockable spoilers for use by paraplegic pilots. The
Barrys are actually modifying the type certificate to incorporate these
changes, and while waiting for the FAA's approval, they modified a Polish
built Krosno, and delivered it to Toronto. There was no rent on the
aircraft. They are great people. And the glider was terrific. It became
amazingly popular at our club, and was the members' first choice for giving
their own friends rides.

We are eagerly awaiting delivery of our own Peregrine (the Krosno with a
number of improvements, e.g. canopy, brakes) this spring. A great trainer
with incomparable visibility, metal to tie out, and an oleo suspension will
now have readily available parts in US spec materials. Bravo Tim & Patti
and all the Barry family (and it is a family company)!

"Vaughn" wrote in message

"Stewart Kissel" wrote in
message ...

Old April 23rd 05, 09:43 PM
Stewart Kissel

So how much are they asking for one?

Old April 23rd 05, 10:21 PM
Marc Ramsey

Stewart Kissel wrote:
So how much are they asking for one?

I got the price list at the last convention, but I seem to have tossed
it. As I remember, base price for the glider only was roughly $50KUS.

Marc
Old April 24th 05, 02:52 AM
Charles Yeates

Same as a PW-6U with basic instruments.

--
Charles Yeates

Old April 24th 05, 02:54 AM
GM

Marc Ramsey wrote:
Stewart Kissel wrote:
So how much are they asking for one?

I got the price list at the last convention, but I seem to have

tossed
it. As I remember, base price for the glider only was roughly

$50KUS.

Marc

More info at http://www.peregrinesailplane.com/
The base price was around $49k but I can't remember if that included
any basic instruments or not.
I flew the Krosno in SC some time ago and found it to be very similar
to the Ka-13 - good visibility from both seats and light on the
controls.

Uli Neumann