L 33 Solo Gliders

Old March 27th 20, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ProfJ

Default L 33 Solo Gliders

On Saturday, 14 March 2020 09:33:59 UTC-6, Nick Kennedy wrote:
In the W&W Claasifieds there is a L33 Solo listed for 13K Canadian, that about 9400 USD.
I read Dick Johnsons flight report and he liked it, he was concerned that it had very little aerodynamic stall warning and would readily drop into a spin. He thought it best if low timers had real spin training before taking it out.
He also measured the performance at 31/1
For those who have owned these...
Are they easy or difficult to rig?
How have they held up?
Can you leave them tied out for the season? [ There all metal except for the rudder which is fabric]
Is the 31/ 1 LD sufficient for day in day out XC?
Are they nice to thermal?
Are they suitable for beginners with proper spin training?
Do you guys give them the overall thumbs up or thumbs down?
Thanks in advance!
Looking for a 1st ship for my 14 yr old son.

Nick, you planning on basing it in Telluride? If so and interested in partnering, call me at (+ you know what) 880 0390.
Old March 27th 20, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Consider whether your pilot is prepared to aerotow on a C.G. hook. Some L-33 do not have a nose hook. It is possible to add a nose hook to an L-33.
Old March 28th 20, 05:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

Both L-33’s Ive flown have both hooks. The CG hook is good for training into CG hooked glass ships. The nose hook is certainly an option if it’s not installed.
Old May 19th 20, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hawkcrom

On Friday, March 27, 2020 at 10:54:38 PM UTC-6, Charles Longley wrote:
Both L-33’s Ive flown have both hooks. The CG hook is good for training into CG hooked glass ships. The nose hook is certainly an option if it’s not installed.

This is not true ,let me be clear, the CG hook on a L-33 is exclusively for winch only and the nose hook is exclusively for aerotow, the CG is NOT for training or transitioning for a CG hook equipped ship
Old May 19th 20, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hawkcrom

On Tuesday, May 19, 2020 at 10:07:52 AM UTC-6, Hawkcrom wrote:
On Friday, March 27, 2020 at 10:54:38 PM UTC-6, Charles Longley wrote:
Both L-33’s Ive flown have both hooks. The CG hook is good for training into CG hooked glass ships. The nose hook is certainly an option if it’s not installed.

This is not true ,let me be clear, the CG hook on a L-33 is exclusively for winch only and the nose hook is exclusively for aerotow, the CG is NOT for training or transitioning for a CG hook equipped ship

All L-33s have a nose CG ,I would need to see a picture of one without one to be a believer
Old May 19th 20, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Szikora

From the L33 Solo group FAQ:

Question: What type of tow hook is used?

Answer: A TOST G 88/1-83 for the CG/lower hook and a TOST E 85/1-85 for the nose/forward if installed.
Old May 19th 20, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Szikora

Hightime ... read the manual. Section 2.11 is very clear, The CG hook IS used for aerotow and a nose hook MAY be installed.
Old May 19th 20, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

Well that’s how my club rolls. Looking at the L-33 Flight Manual there’s a WARNING in big bold letters, “NOSE HOOK MUST NOT BE USED FOR WINCH OPERATIONS.” There is no warning against using the CG hook for Aerotow operations.

But hey you be you!
Old May 19th 20, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

Guess he’s not very high time.......
Old May 20th 20, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hightime[_2_]

On Tuesday, May 19, 2020 at 2:11:55 PM UTC-6, Charles Longley wrote:
Guess he’s not very high time.......

Okay I believe ! Its clear now

American soldiers examine one of the gliders, now damaged, that dropped them behind German lines in Holland. - American soldiers examine one of the gliders.jpg Miloch Aviation Photos 0 August 7th 18 03:05 AM
First Solo! God Loves Jeff Piloting 3 April 6th 09 08:45 PM
L33 Solo Jeff Runciman Soaring 11 November 15th 05 05:56 PM
How NOT to solo... Greg Burkhart Piloting 3 December 16th 03 05:09 AM
Solo in a 2-32 M B Soaring 3 September 30th 03 03:11 AM