Hello From Port Aransas, on Mustang Island, TX

Old October 26th 10, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_13_]

Default Hello From Port Aransas, on Mustang Island, TX

Yep. The one in Iowa City is for sale, if you'd like to run a cool,
aviation themed inn! See it he www.AlexisParkInn.com.

That one took 8 years to build. Now, we have bought another motel on
Mustang Island, in Port Aransas, TX. We're converting it to the
aviation theme, too. See www.HarborInnPortA.com
--
Jay Honeck
Port Aransas, TX

On Oct 26, 9:36*am, "Chuck" wrote:
Hi, I very rarely posted here, just got back on the newsgroups. * Been off
of them for quite a while. *Do you still have your hotel?

Chuck

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Just checking in to rec.aviation for the first time in...I don't
remember when.

Anyone still here? * How's everyone been?
--
Jay Honeck
Port Aransas, TX

Old October 26th 10, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
sambodidley

Yep, I could buy the 'coupe right now, but I'd still need the CFI on
board to fly it without a medical. If it was a LSA I could fly it by myself
on my drivers license and my PPL.
Sam in Milam

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
At $150/hour, you only need to fly 120 hours and you could have bought
the Ercoupe!

Which, BTW, costs about $15/hour to operate -- plus a few gallons of
gar gas...

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Port Aransas, TX

On Oct 25, 9:12 pm, "sambodidley" wrote:
Yep, I guess the LSA Ercoupes are pretty rare. Probably higher priced,
too. Oh well, I can still fly left seat in a C172 with a CFI on board,
though---at 150 bucks an hour.g

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Well, doggonit, Too bad. I might have been interested if it had been.

You, and about a hundred other guys.

The FAA has made our Ercoupe almost unsellable, with an illogical
stroke of their pen.
--
Jay Honeck
Port Aransas, TX

On Oct 25, 5:31 pm, "sambodidley" wrote:

Well, doggonit, Too bad. I might have been interested if it had been.
If I ever fly again it will have to be under Sport Pilot limits. There's
no
way I could still pass another medical if I ever took one. I guess I'll
have to stick with my sim planes for now.g
Sam in Milam"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Nope, ours is a 415E model. Identical in every way as the LSA-
certified models, but with a (paperwork) higher useful load.

In the FAA's eternal wisdom, this disqualifies the plane -- forever --
from LSA certification.
--
Jay Honeck
Port Aransas, TX

On Oct 25, 1:27 pm, "sambodidley" wrote:

Is that model Ercoupe one of those that are certified as LSA? I know
that some are and others not.

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

We're asking just $18K.
--
Jay Honeck
Port Aransas, TX

On Oct 24, 10:54 pm, "sambodidley" wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote(Hey, I know of an Ercoupe for sale....cheap! :-)
--
Jay Honeck

What's a "cheap" 'coupe going for these days?
Sam

Old October 27th 10, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

Sam,

IIRC, you would not really need an instructor.

Basically, AFAIK the Instructor's rating allows both of you to
simultaneously log time in what would ordinarily be a single pilot
aircraft--the Instructor as instruction time and the Student as dual. In
your case, you probably don't care about the "hours" logged, so any pilot
willing to be your right hand man and assume the title of PIC (and also
who's skill and judgement you trust) could be sitting in the right seat.
You could not log the time, but he could and he would also assume physical
control of the aircraft in the event of need--which is the whole idea of the
medical certification. (Yeah, I also think a lot of that is silly.)

Perhaps some of the instructors here will shed a little more light...

Peter

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

[...]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

We're asking just $18K.

Old October 27th 10, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
sambodidley

Thanks Peter,
Yes, I knew that a CFI would not be required if I just wanted to fly the
plane without a medical. My dream would be to have a LSA certified plane
that I could fly anytime I pleased, by myself, around the local airport,in
the daytime only, of course. I could afford a plane like Jay's if it were
an LSA but I can't hack one of those new +100K birds. That's out of this
senior citizen's range.g

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

[...]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

We're asking just $18K.

Old October 27th 10, 07:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_13_]

I know quite a few "senior" pilots who are in your shoes. Hell,
probably over half of my old QB hangar.

I also have known of several senior pilots whose attitude was that
they fly solo in the planes they have owned for decades, and now only
fly local flights. They completely avoid towered airports, or any
high-traffic areas. If they have a valid medical, great. If not, who
cares? Who is going to know? They don't take passengers, by choice,
so the only person they are risking is themselves.

I have to say, I can't find too much wrong with their logic.
Especially when combined with the fact that the FAA has applied the
LSA rules completely arbitrarily (Examples: Why is an Ercoupe 415-C
LSA, while a 415-E is not? Why is a C-150 not LSA, but a Champ is?
Etc., etc.), it's hard to argue with an old guy who just wants to fly,
and isn't risking anyone else's life or property.

They're only doing what they love, in the face of absurd, arbitrary
regulation.
--
Jay Honeck
Port Aransas, TX

Old October 27th 10, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Wanttaja[_2_]

On 10/26/2010 11:58 PM, Jay Honeck wrote:

I have to say, I can't find too much wrong with their logic.
Especially when combined with the fact that the FAA has applied the
LSA rules completely arbitrarily (Examples: Why is an Ercoupe 415-C
LSA, while a 415-E is not? Why is a C-150 not LSA, but a Champ is?
Etc., etc.), it's hard to argue with an old guy who just wants to fly,
and isn't risking anyone else's life or property.

*Any* selection of limits would be arbitrary. Their original limit was
1200 lbs, and they got talked into raising it. If they'd picked 1600
(allowing Cessna 150s), SOMEbody would point out a plane with a 1650
gross weight and complain that the rules were stupid and arbitrary. It
was a no-win situation for the FAA.

I thought the explanatory document the FAA put out at the time Sport
Pilot was announced was pretty clear. The LSA limits and Sport Pilot
were *not* instituted so that older pilots and planes could have a few
more years in the sun. It was intended to make it easier for new people
to learn to fly, and to encourage the production and sale of new,
ready-to-fly aircraft.

I agree it is tough on the guys who had failed their medicals prior to
Sport Pilot, and can't qualify under the new regs. But if you take the
long view (and rare it is that any government person DOES take the long
view) this is a problem that will correct itself over time. Anyone
flying now knows that flunking a medical will keep them from going Sport
Pilot. I haven't taken an FAA medical since the rules were instituted.

Keep in mind, though, that Sport Pilot DOES have medical requirements.
If you have a medical condition that would cause you to fail a Class III
medical, you cannot legally fly as a Sport Pilot.

However, I do agree with Jay on one point: Single-seat aircraft...up to
a limit...shouldn't require any sort of medical.

The question is, what *is* the limit? Should a pilot be able to fly an
unlimited racer without a medical? How about an F-104?

And it you put a limit in...sure as heck, someone will complain that it
was arbitrary and stupid....

Ron Wanttaja

Old October 27th 10, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_3_]

Am 26.10.2010 17:44, schrieb Jay Honeck:
That one took 8 years to build. Now, we have bought another motel on
Mustang Island, in Port Aransas, TX. We're converting it to the
aviation theme, too. Seewww.HarborInnPortA.com

Hi Jay,

well, the design is the same awful design as it is on the other
hotel-site; sorry. :-)

but: "bonne chance!" for your business. It must be tough in the tourism
industry these days.

Are there any effects at your place in TX from the oil leak?

#m
--
"What would I do with 72 virgins? That's not a reward,
that's a punishment. Give me two seasoned whores any day."
Old October 27th 10, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
sambodidley

Recreational flying, as I knew it, no longer exists. I flew in an era
when I could go to almost any small local airport and rent a little
two-place tandem stick-and-rudder tail-dragger for a few buck an hour.
Now, most of those little airports are gone or un-attended with just a
self-service gas pump. Even as some of the county airports in this rural
Northeast Texas area. The nearest place from Milam with any kind of flight
service is Angelina Co. (KLFK) which is over 150 mile round trip for me.
Then all I can get there are those 150 bucks an hour C172 rides with a CFI.
There are several small airports nearby I could use if I owned my own LSA.
I fly my simplanes out of them every day.g
Sam in Milam

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

[...]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

We're asking just $18K.

Old October 27th 10, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_3_]

Am 27.10.2010 20:41, schrieb sambodidley:
Then all I can get there are those 150 bucks an hour C172 rides with a CFI.
There are several small airports nearby I could use if I owned my own LSA.

Maybe a Skyranger is within your budget:
http://www.volksflugzeug.eu/Preisliste.html (sorry, most of the content
there is in German)

but there are for sure some other options within similar price range,
maybe there are used ones available, too.

#m
Old October 28th 10, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Martin Hotze wrote:
Am 27.10.2010 20:41, schrieb sambodidley:
Then all I can get there are those 150 bucks an hour C172 rides with
a CFI. There are several small airports nearby I could use if I owned
my own LSA.

Maybe a Skyranger is within your budget:
http://www.volksflugzeug.eu/Preisliste.html (sorry, most of the
content there is in German)

but there are for sure some other options within similar price range,
maybe there are used ones available, too.

Or perhaps do a web search for "ultralight helicopter". Check out:
http://www.experimentalhelo.com/
One of the publishers, Stu Fields, hangs out in rec.avaition.rotorcraft, so
you could post a question there asking whether an ultralight helicopter is
viable for someone only having airplane experience.