A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

ELY 2020

Old March 2nd 20, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt
external usenet poster

Default ELY 2020

And good luck to anyone landing on a dirt road in the West. Most have high side berms and are probably narrower than a 15M ship.
Old March 2nd 20, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

Default ELY 2020

On Monday, March 2, 2020 at 8:56:16 AM UTC-8, Craig Reinholt wrote:
And good luck to anyone landing on a dirt road in the West. Most have high side berms and are probably narrower than a 15M ship.

There was a shot of a DG-300 that was very lucky, one wing on the wire. I believe that was an outlining near Minden. For those that attended the webinar on Dave's outlining on a road in the Great Basin there was a less lucky example. I have about 1,700 hours of XC time, not nearly as experienced as Ramy. However, I would think long and hard and be at the end of a long line of poor decisions to be lining up on a road in the western states.
Old March 2nd 20, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default ELY 2020

While I have not flown out of Ely in a while,
"What Ramy said".
Ely is not the place to learn XC. You need to be comfortable in the middle of nowhere, but keeping landing places in glide isn't difficult with a working band of 6 to 11,000' above valley floors.
Density altitude is 10,000' at 10am. Stay hydrated and on O2.
If you land out, InReach may be your best bet for communication.
Jim
Old March 2nd 20, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default ELY 2020

On Monday, March 2, 2020 at 9:31:59 AM UTC-8, JS wrote:
While I have not flown out of Ely in a while,
"What Ramy said".
Ely is not the place to learn XC. You need to be comfortable in the middle of nowhere, but keeping landing places in glide isn't difficult with a working band of 6 to 11,000' above valley floors.
Density altitude is 10,000' at 10am. Stay hydrated and on O2.
If you land out, InReach may be your best bet for communication.
Jim

Hi, I am planning my spring weekend trips and i may do the drive bay near Ely area. Can any one share with me the TP files for that area?. I may visit some places to check them out during my off road trip..
THX
Richard
Old March 3rd 20, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default ELY 2020

On Monday, March 2, 2020 at 8:35:38 AM UTC-8, Craig Reinholt wrote:
On Monday, March 2, 2020 at 7:52:27 AM UTC-8, Ramy wrote:
True about the silver sage but there are plenty of dirt strips and dirt roads to land in Ely area. The databases we use have landable places every 20-30 miles. Landouts are actually rare as the conditions are strong enough that you fly near 18K under strong cloud streets the whole day. We rest on the weaker days. Also thunderstorms are more common later in July when the monsoon hits. All that said, Ely (and most of the Great Basin) is a great place to fly for those who are comfortable flying in the middle of nowhere...

Ramy

Ramy, The turnpoint databases are quite out of date. I reviewed on Google Earth the strips you are mentioning trying to update the Ely turnpoint file. Almost all were overgrown and would probably have torn up a glider if they landed there. After reviewing every airport and outlanding options on Truckee, Minden, Air Sailing, Montague, Bend, The Great Basin, and Ely files, to create a Lakeview TP file and potentially revamp a couple of other TP files, no one should use any turnpoint database for landing. Some are semi OK (Lakeview & Montague are best). Some were downright dangerous (Minden, TGB). In addition, major airport changes were not listed such as width reductions, lengths, airport frequencies, etc. For Ely, I use a personally created TP file, but with caution because it is a now 1.5 years old.
For private airstrips, sectionals are woefully out of date as well. There are private strips on sectionals that haven't been there for decades. I'd only rely on public use airports and a few of those with skepticism on Sectionals.
Craig Reinholt

Many databases on the turnpoint exchange are outdated. The ones we are using are not the Ely database, nor the Minden database. Those are indeed outdated. Most of us use a combination of more current databases, including the Tehachapi/DDD database which covers the whole great basin and is getting updated continuously.
That said, you can never fully rely on any database. Even a known airport may be closed for repaving. It would be great if we always had an up to date database of every possible landout. That said, it is by far better than the old days with out databases, only sectionals. A local knowledge and experience goes long way.
Damaging the glider on landout is always a possibility.

Ramy

Ramy
Old March 4th 20, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default ELY 2020

For a few years we had dry lake options but last year most of those were wet so it cut down the number of landout options considerably... so flying there best suited for those experienced with the place. Not sure what it is looking like this year.
Darren
Old March 28th 20, 04:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Better news, cost tow will be 7 $/min

On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 10:07:26 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Good news for Ely soaring fans.
First, great thanks to Keith for providing his Cessna and arranging tow pilot.
Towing service in Ely will be available from June 29 until July 18 for 10 pilots.
Reservation fee is 150 $ per week. Weekly increments only.
Towing cost will be based per tach time, hook-up to hook-up, expected 8 $/min.
Interested pilots please e-mail me and I will send back "pilot info form",
to get basic personal and glider information.
Marek Malolepszy