L 33 Solo Gliders

Old March 15th 20, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Default L 33 Solo Gliders

I flew one twice; landed out on second flight and spent more time than I liked figuring out how the wheel brake worked.

Rig and derig better than many other gliders of similar vintage.

Comparable performance and handling to the PW-5 for less money. Neither has penetration. The accident record is well populated with L-33s trying to stretch glides back to the home field.

I saw one written off because the canopy was not properly closed and the pilot held the canopy down with one hand and sideslipped because he did not have a hand free to use the spoilers. The pin can sit on top of the tube leaving a really narrow gap that is hard to catch. The cockpit now is used in a simulator where I've spent more L-33 time than in the air.

HINT: Left rudder might help keep a loose canopy from departing (reluctant to flight test).

Parts can be a problem.
Old March 15th 20, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The 1-26 is fine for 1 season but the L-33 is something your son can grow with. Like others have said make sure he's got some good spin training and have the glider inspected before buying it.

-DT
Old March 15th 20, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have been “growing” with the 1-26 for 45 years and still have much to learn regarding achieving all that these little ships can do. After doing silver, gold and one diamond in 1-26’s, there is still more left to learn.
Old March 15th 20, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Thanks guys for taking the time to write back with your experiences!
The all metal thing is a big + no gelcoat issues!
So at this point the L33, Libelle, Astir and Jantar are on our short list.
Thanks again for the honest opinion's, they help a lot!
Fly safe in 2020
Old March 15th 20, 10:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I’m looking to sell my PW-5. Contact me off list if interested.
Old March 15th 20, 12:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

The all metal thing is a big + no gelcoat issues!
So at this point the L33, Libelle, Astir and Jantar are on our short list.

Nick:
You might want to open that list up to include the Pilatus B-4. There are 3 for sale on W&W right now. There is a guy in France who supports it with parts and information, they are Swiss made and hold value well, similar in performance to the L-33 but with retractable gear, and handle and feel much like the std. Grob/Astir. Our club has a 1-26, a 1-34, an L-33 and a B-4. The B-4 is the most popular of the 4 ships for early XC.
There is an AD on cracking at the front bulkhead but most have complied with that by now.
ROY

Old March 15th 20, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Nick I can second the approval of a Pilatus. I flew one for about 5 years. Its the first higher performance ship I flew after/along side the 1-26. They are robust, we left ours outside every season, climb good but not spectacular against a headwind. The elevators are pretty powerfull hence watch for pio’s the first few flights. After flying one for a few years my transition into a ventus was absolutely anticlimatic.
Dan
Old March 15th 20, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Behm

On Saturday, March 14, 2020 at 8:33:59 AM UTC-7, Nick Kennedy wrote:
In the W&W Claasifieds there is a L33 Solo listed for 13K Canadian, that about 9400 USD.
I read Dick Johnsons flight report and he liked it, he was concerned that it had very little aerodynamic stall warning and would readily drop into a spin. He thought it best if low timers had real spin training before taking it out.
He also measured the performance at 31/1
For those who have owned these...
Are they easy or difficult to rig?
How have they held up?
Can you leave them tied out for the season? [ There all metal except for the rudder which is fabric]
Is the 31/ 1 LD sufficient for day in day out XC?
Are they nice to thermal?
Are they suitable for beginners with proper spin training?
Do you guys give them the overall thumbs up or thumbs down?
Thanks in advance!
Looking for a 1st ship for my 14 yr old son.

I thought that there was issues buying a Canadian ship and bringing it to the USA?
If so, that one in NC for 11K might be worth the few extra bucks and it has very low hours?
Just a thought.
R,
Chris
Old March 15th 20, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Behm

[...]

I thought that there were often "issues" with buying a glider from Canada?
I will say that the price/age ratio of the L33 is pretty great.

R,
Chris
Old March 15th 20, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

There’s good deals on L-33’s to be had. I’ve been maintaining the two that Craig spoke of for the last 4 years and have some experience flying them. They’re very rugged but parts can be an issue. Drag an aileron on pavement? $6,000 for a new one from Vitek. (They’re not repairable.) Great flying, comfortable ship that can be left outside. I think a L-23 is more prone to spin than a L-33. Not much of cross country machine but better than an 1-26.

American soldiers examine one of the gliders, now damaged, that dropped them behind German lines in Holland. - American soldiers examine one of the gliders.jpg Miloch Aviation Photos 0 August 7th 18 03:05 AM
First Solo! God Loves Jeff Piloting 3 April 6th 09 08:45 PM
L33 Solo Jeff Runciman Soaring 11 November 15th 05 05:56 PM
How NOT to solo... Greg Burkhart Piloting 3 December 16th 03 05:09 AM
Solo in a 2-32 M B Soaring 3 September 30th 03 03:11 AM