Osprey vs. Harrier

Old August 12th 03, 03:37 AM
Fred J. McCall

Iain Rae wrote:

:As much operational low flying training as possible is carried
ut overseas, mainly in Canada and the USA.

Well, that would seem to indicate that the US is doing at least as
much low-level flying as the RAF. Otherwise, why would they come here
to do their training at it whenever possible?

--
"Rule Number One for Slayers - Don't die."
-- Buffy, the Vampire Slayer
Old August 12th 03, 07:58 AM
Iain Rae

Fred J. McCall wrote:
Iain Rae wrote:

:As much operational low flying training as possible is carried
ut overseas, mainly in Canada and the USA.

Well, that would seem to indicate that the US is doing at least as
much low-level flying as the RAF. Otherwise, why would they come here
to do their training at it whenever possible?

Mainly because you and Canada have more wide open spaces than we have.
The major limit on low flying is complaints from the civilian population.

Old August 12th 03, 10:39 AM
Andy Spark

In article , ANDREW ROBERT BREEN
wrote:

Remember very vividly going over a mountain pass in IIRC the Lake District
in the early 80s - Hardknott or Wrynose, I think - and being confronted
with a Vulcan climbing over the pass from the other side. The sight of
that /deleted/ monster rising over the brow of the hill was rather
impressive, to say nothing of terrifying.

I well remember the sight (not to mention the noise and the smoke) they
used to make at the end of an airshow display, low pass along the
runway then sitting on it's tail and taking off like a Lightning..
Old August 12th 03, 12:41 PM
Andrew Chaplin

Iain Rae wrote:

I believe in the UK local RAF bases get phoned up and get requests along
the lines of "Could your lads please time their practice so that they're
not flying over the farm when we're bringing the cows in for
milking/shearing sheep etc.

This is of course nothing new if the chicken farmer scene in "The Dam
Busters" is anywhere near accurate .

In Canada, the main problems -- other than the Innu's concerns for the
caribou, which seem to care not a whit -- are fur and poultry farms.
Foxes, when stressed by low-flying a/c, will kill their kits. Turkeys
will get into great big pile-ups (if you time your helicopter's
reversal in course just right).

I just got back from Labrador where they actually put warnings of
low-flying a/c on the Trans-Labrador Highway (I didn't see any, damn
it). I doubt there are few places outside of Siberia where pilots can
get as low and still ****-off no one.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old August 12th 03, 12:56 PM
John Halliwell

In article , Iain Rae
writes
This is of course nothing new if the chicken farmer scene in "The Dam
Busters" is anywhere near accurate .

Probably happened a lot given they were basically told to go away and
become experts at low flying. According to the book The Dam Busters,
during training they were 'cruising' at 100ft, later 50ft:

"Across several counties outraged service police reached for their
notebooks and took the big AJ aircraft letters as they roared over their
heads; the complaints came flooding into Gibson's office, and with smug
rectitude he tore them up."

--
John
Old August 12th 03, 03:40 PM
John Halliwell

In article , Andy Spark
writes
I well remember the sight (not to mention the noise and the smoke) they
used to make at the end of an airshow display, low pass along the
runway then sitting on it's tail and taking off like a Lightning..

Apparently they sometimes started the display quite impressively,
there's footage somewhere of a Vulcan being barrel rolled on climbout at
Farnborough sometime in the '50s.

--
John
Old August 12th 03, 07:39 PM
Ian Birchenough

In message , Fred J. McCall
writes
Iain Rae wrote:

:Fred J. McCall wrote:
: Iain Rae wrote:
:
: :As much operational low flying training as possible is carried
: ut overseas, mainly in Canada and the USA.
:
: Well, that would seem to indicate that the US is doing at least as
: much low-level flying as the RAF. Otherwise, why would they come here
: to do their training at it whenever possible?
:
:Mainly because you and Canada have more wide open spaces than we have.
:The major limit on low flying is complaints from the civilian population.

Yeah, but if we weren't doing it, we wouldn't have ranges where it's
allowed so there would be no place here for you to come and do it,
either.

Its allowed in the UK. LFA13 down to 50 feet. (You'll need the
appropriate aviators maps.)
--
Ian Birchenough
Old August 13th 03, 04:05 AM
Fred J. McCall

Iain Rae wrote:

:Fred J. McCall wrote:
: Iain Rae wrote:
:
: :Fred J. McCall wrote:
: : Iain Rae wrote:
: :
: : :As much operational low flying training as possible is carried
: : ut overseas, mainly in Canada and the USA.
: :
: : Well, that would seem to indicate that the US is doing at least as
: : much low-level flying as the RAF. Otherwise, why would they come here
: : to do their training at it whenever possible?
: :
: :Mainly because you and Canada have more wide open spaces than we have.
: :The major limit on low flying is complaints from the civilian population.
:
: Yeah, but if we weren't doing it, we wouldn't have ranges where it's
: allowed so there would be no place here for you to come and do it,
: either.
:
:But it doesn't necessarily follow that you therefore do it as much if
:not more than we do, a number of Universities I've worked at have
:facilities which although they're used for research are used more by
utside agencies since that's the only way they can be funded.

And how much do you think you're paying us for the use of our
low-level ranges? If we weren't using them, we certainly wouldn't
keep them open for you. :-)

--
"Millions for defense, but not one cent for tribute."
-- Charles Pinckney