AOPA Credit Card scam

Old March 24th 05, 07:44 AM
Roger

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 16:49:31 -0600, "Jim Fisher"
wrote:

"Roger" wrote in message
But, what the hey... with the money I've come into this last week from
three international lotteries, The widow who wants me to help her move
her late husband's money to the US, three oil investments, and 3 or 4
lawyers, trusts, estates, (you name 'em) I should have close to $200
million USD coming in.

Hey! Butt outta my territory! I'm handling the widow thing.

I also have an ex-prince wanting my help. Top that!

Maybe we can work out some kind of equitable trade. I'll take care of
the cash on this end and you fly over to take care of the deal in
person?

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old March 24th 05, 07:49 AM
Roger

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 15:00:35 -0500, Peter Clark
wrote:

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 12:09:52 -0500, Jay Somerset
wrote:

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 07:51:37 -0500, Peter Clark
wrote:

They're also pretty easy to pick out because the link has an IP
address rather than a name. Sending you to http://1.2.3.4/whatever
and sucking the information from inattentive people is much easier
than having the link point to http://www.mbna.com and attempt to
redirect the real sitename to their data-gathering box.

Unfortuantely, not true! There are ways to fool your browser (any browser)
into displaying what looks like the legitimate URL in the status/message
bar, but which really is not. Uses special characters that have a defined
meaning in URL syntax, but are not displayed, and not widely knowm.

Perhaps I'm spoiled by Eudora, but I don't even click on an emailed
link unless the preview of what it's going to launch to
Explorer/whatever shows up with proper English characters, and a real,
known, sitename.

What would you do in my case? I go to a number of Asian and Indonesian
sites and receive legitimate e-mail from those areas.? :-))

Last year my Daughter spend over a month in mainland China and nearly
three weeks in Indonesia. (She left for home just one week before the
Tsunami)

The food caught up with Kevin on a long flight from Tibet to the
coast. They travel enough it usually doesn't stay with them for long.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Boils down to if it doesn't seem/look right, it's not. Any question,
just launch the browser yourself and go to the site directly.

Old March 24th 05, 07:54 AM
Roger

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 13:18:45 -0500, "John T" wrote:

Jay Somerset wrote:

The only way to be absolutely sure
would be to copy the URL to an ascii text editor that doesn't
understand what a URL is supposed to be, and cxheck that way.

Or save yourself a step and just set your email client to "text only" mode.

People just don't realize, or won't believe just how many headaches
that eliminates. As far as I'm concerned they shouldn't even allow
HTML e-mail.

Old March 25th 05, 02:12 PM
David Lesher

Roger writes:

Perhaps I'm spoiled by Eudora, but I don't even click on an emailed
link unless the preview of what it's going to launch to
Explorer/whatever shows up with proper English characters, and a real,
known, sitename.

What would you do in my case? I go to a number of Asian and Indonesian
sites and receive legitimate e-mail from those areas.? :-))

I read mail with elm and news with nn. Both text. I laugh
at all phishing and 419's.... as well as the virus attacks.

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old March 26th 05, 01:58 AM
George Patterson

Roger wrote:

This is one of the hazards of using HTML e-mail. I use text only.
Clicking on the link can take you to the bogus site while typing in
will not.

I've never been able to find the setting for this in Netscape. There's a setting
to specify text/HTML in outgoing mail, but not for incoming.

George Patterson
Drink up, Socrates -- it's all-natural.
Old March 26th 05, 02:25 AM
Roy Smith

George Patterson wrote:
I've never been able to find the setting for this in Netscape.

The best way to configure Netscape mail is to drag it into the trash and
download Thunderbird instead :-)
Old March 26th 05, 02:44 AM
Montblack

("Roy Smith" wrote)
I've never been able to find the setting for this in Netscape.

The best way to configure Netscape mail is to drag it into the trash and
download Thunderbird instead :-)

I'm running T-bird. Couldn't find the HTML setting in question there either?

Montblack

Old March 26th 05, 02:17 PM
Aaron Coolidge

In rec.aviation.owning David Lesher wrote:
: I read mail with elm and news with nn. Both text. I laugh
: at all phishing and 419's.... as well as the virus attacks.

Hear, hear! Not to mention that IRIX is pretty immune to PC trojans..
--
Aaron Coolidge (elm for mail, tin for news!)
Old March 27th 05, 12:43 AM
George Patterson

Montblack wrote:

("Roy Smith" wrote)
I've never been able to find the setting for this in Netscape.

The best way to configure Netscape mail is to drag it into the trash and
download Thunderbird instead :-)

I'm running T-bird. Couldn't find the HTML setting in question there either?

Not surprising. Netscape is just Mozilla repackaged.

It doesn't matter what the software package is -- you'll always find some clown
who will badmouth it.

Old March 28th 05, 08:08 PM

A comment about "preview windows" in email clients (Eudora, Outlook,
etc)..... if you have the preview window enabled, the client has to
render (executing anything allowed, in the process) whatever HTML might
be in the message to populate the preview. By the time you decide the
message is Something Bad, its too late.

Bottom line is that a preview window is a security risk. Be aware of
what is allowed to execute (Active X, Java, whatever,) and take
appropriate precautions if you use this feature.
Randy