Uncontrolled fun

Old July 18th 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roy Smith

Default Uncontrolled fun

Had some fun this evening at IJD (Willimantic, CT). It's an uncontrolled
field. Big runway 9-27, smaller runway 18-36. AWOS is saying the wind is
something like 170 at 6 kts.

We're flying the GPS-9. Several calls on the CTAF come up empty, so we
decide to land straight in, taking the slight crosswind and the longer
runway. A Cessna inbound from the East says he'll follow our lead and make
a downwind entry to land on 9 as well.

The two of us stay in closed traffic, when another Cessna pulls out of the
ramp and taxis down to depart on 27. No problem, the three of us negotiate
on the radio and leave her enough of a gap to take off and depart the area.
While all that is going on, somebody else pulls out of ramp and announces
that he's departing from 18.

No muss, no fuss, but it's the first time I've ever seen three different
runways in use at the same time at an uncontrolled airport.
Old July 18th 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

No muss, no fuss, but it's the first time I've ever seen three different
runways in use at the same time at an uncontrolled airport.

Isn't it great when it works right? I'm always amazed at how well a
busy, uncontrolled airport can function when everyone is on the ball.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 18th 06, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Flyingmonk[_1_]

Jay Honeck wrote:
No muss, no fuss, but it's the first time I've ever seen three different
runways in use at the same time at an uncontrolled airport.

Isn't it great when it works right? I'm always amazed at how well a
busy, uncontrolled airport can function when everyone is on the ball.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Reminds me of a commercial, I don't remember when or where, or even
what the product was (maybe a tourism ad for some friendly state). It
was of an intersection where two "nice" people happen to come to a stop
at the same time. Each one waving on the other one, "after you..."
"no, after you..." "no, after you..." "no, after you..." "no, after
you..." "no, after you..." and so on, and so on, and so on, and so on,
and so on, and so on, and so on, and so on, and so on, and so on, and
so on, and so on, and so on... Which also reminds me of another
commercial. g

sigh... I'm getting old...

Monk

Old July 18th 06, 12:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stubby

Flyingmonk wrote:
Jay Honeck wrote:
[...]

Well, I've forgotten the source, but it was Alphonse and Gaston saying,
"You first."

Old July 18th 06, 12:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
FlipSide

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 22:23:15 -0400, Roy Smith wrote:

No muss, no fuss, but it's the first time I've ever seen three different
runways in use at the same time at an uncontrolled airport.

I did all of my training at an uncontrolled field and never had any
problems in 3 years of flying before and after the certificate. Things
always went smoothly.

After a hiatus for a few years it wasn't until I returned to flying at
a controlled field that I had my first close encounter with another
aircraft.

Perhaps some newbie pilots get too complacent and less observant when
they're thinking someone in the tower is looking out for them.

I really value those 3 years of uncontrolled experience as I fly the
patterns at tower controlled airports.

Kirk
Old July 19th 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dana M. Hague

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 22:23:15 -0400, Roy Smith wrote:

No muss, no fuss, but it's the first time I've ever seen three different
runways in use at the same time at an uncontrolled airport.

Last night at my local field, almost no wind, GA planes using the
paved runway, ultralights using the grass runway (in both
directions!), powered parachutes and paragliders straight across the
field directly into what little wind there was. Only locals that
night, everybody's used to each other and what they're likely to do,
no problem. Pretty typical there, except for the large number of
people out enjoying a weekday evening.

-Dana
If replying by email, please make the obvious changes.
Old July 19th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dana M. Hague

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 22:23:15 -0400, Roy Smith wrote:

No muss, no fuss, but it's the first time I've ever seen three different
runways in use at the same time at an uncontrolled airport.

P.S., say your location after clicking "send"... c'mon down to
Griswold Airport (N04) on the shoreline and you'll see that kind of
fun on any given weekend.

Old July 19th 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dana M. Hague

"Gunfire"??? I have no idea about anything like that, the last thing
that might have been NOTAM worthy was the paraglider fly-in in May
(the next one's the weekend after Labor Day). We did have a BONfire,
though... Yes, it's still open, quite busy on weekends, every hangar
full, about 1/3 GA and 2/3 ultralights of all sorts, and lots of
people fly in on Saturday mornings just to hang out, it's that kind of
place.

It IS slated to close, if and when the development deal goes
through... but the developer's option expires next month and they
still don't have the DEP permits, so anything could happen. At this
rate it looks like even if it goes through, it'll be open at least
until November.

-Dana

On 19 Jul 2006 08:25:03 -0500, T o d d P a t t i s t
wrote:
Is N04 still open, and can I land my Champ there? The wife
wants to go back. We've landed there a few times before and
gotten a very friendly reception. I know it was scheduled
to close and a couple of months ago I asked FSS for any
notams. They mentioned something about "gunfire" at the
airport the previous weekend and suggested I stay well away.
Was this bad info or something else?

If replying by email, please make the obvious changes.
Do YOU trust a government that won't obey it's OWN LAWS?