Devin kicked out of junior worlds.

Old August 25th 11, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mitch Hudson

Default Devin kicked out of junior worlds.

Rec.aviation.soaring favorite, Devin was kicked out of the Junior
Worlds for being up until 4:00 AM drinking on flying days, and general
disrespect for the coaching staff. It is unfortunate that such a
potentially talented young pilot was unable to meet his duties to the
U.S. team due to his drinking problem. For those of you who wondered
why he got a "Zero" on the last day, this is why.

Good on the U.S. team for making a tough decision to pull him from the
contest before he became a safety factor for any of the other pilots
there.

EX
Old August 25th 11, 07:54 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Hudson View Post
Rec.aviation.soaring favorite, Devin was kicked out of the Junior
Worlds for being up until 4:00 AM drinking on flying days, and general
disrespect for the coaching staff. It is unfortunate that such a
potentially talented young pilot was unable to meet his duties to the
U.S. team due to his drinking problem. For those of you who wondered
why he got a "Zero" on the last day, this is why.

Good on the U.S. team for making a tough decision to pull him from the
contest before he became a safety factor for any of the other pilots
there.

EX
This is very sad to hear. I would be curious as to the ages of the pilots in the junior worlds. Drinking until 4:00 AM on flying days indicates a real lack of discipline at the very least, at the most a budding alcoholic if not one already. Fortunately in my misspent youth, I got very drunk, very sick and very much over alcohol in about a 72 hour period. One of the best things that ever happened to me.

Walt
Old August 25th 11, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Aug 24, 6:45*pm, Mitch Hudson wrote:
Rec.aviation.soaring favorite, Devin was kicked out of the Junior
Worlds for being up until 4:00 AM drinking on flying days, and general
disrespect for the coaching staff. *It is unfortunate that such a
potentially talented young pilot was unable to meet his duties to the
U.S. team due to his drinking problem. *For those of you who wondered
why he got a "Zero" on the last day, this is why.

Good on the U.S. team for making a tough decision to pull him from the
contest before he became a safety factor for any of the other pilots
there.

EX

Good on the U.S. Team management.

GKemp
Old August 26th 11, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GB[_5_]

On Aug 25, 7:16*am, "
wrote:
On Aug 24, 6:45*pm, Mitch Hudson wrote:

Rec.aviation.soaring favorite, Devin was kicked out of the Junior
Worlds for being up until 4:00 AM drinking on flying days, and general
disrespect for the coaching staff. *It is unfortunate that such a
potentially talented young pilot was unable to meet his duties to the
U.S. team due to his drinking problem. *For those of you who wondered
why he got a "Zero" on the last day, this is why.

Good on the U.S. team for making a tough decision to pull him from the
contest before he became a safety factor for any of the other pilots
there.

EX

Good on the U.S. Team management.

GKemp

Shame on you Mitch Hudson,

I was not aware that this discussion group could be used to embarrass,
slander, and humiliate another member. First of all Mitch you were not
there. I can only assume that you got your information from your
friend who had a major disagreement with Devin at the Junior Worlds.
The facts are unimportant for this discussion.
I am not one of Devin's drinking buddies, I am his 71 year old friend
and co-worker.
Mitch, the only thing you have accomplished with your post is hurting
Devin, his family and his friends.

Gabe Bourbeau
Minden NV
Old August 26th 11, 02:29 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB[_5_] View Post
On Aug 25, 7:16*am, "
wrote:
[...]

Gabe,

Respectfully, while this post may well embarrass and humiliate Devin, it would only be slander if it was untrue. We are all assuming a lot, it would be good if there was some sort of official word from the US team as to the reason for his dismissal. If it is true, I would hope that he would be embarrassed and humiliated, that might go a long way towards improving his decision making abilities. Drinking 'till 4 AM the day of an event is not a smart thing to do.

As a 71 year old friend and co worker I hope you will try to give him the benefit of your lifetime of experience. Unfortunately it has been my experience that youth fails to listen to the older, more experienced crowd until it's too late. We have had a number of fatalities in the last few weeks in the soaring community from various causes, most of which are to some degree associated with poor decision making.

What Mitch has done might be the best thing that could happen to Devin. It appears to me that someone needs to get his attention. Don't be an enabler by dismissing his actions. An old Air Force Colonel gave me a good kick in the ass once, I learned a lot from his guidance.

Walt
Old August 26th 11, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GB[_5_]

On Aug 26, 6:29*am, Walt Connelly Walt.Connelly.
wrote:
'GB[_5_ Wrote:

;781455']On Aug 25, 7:16*am, "

-

--
Walt Connelly

Walt,

There is a big difference between being an enabler and standing by
your friends.
The purpose of Mictch's post was not to help Devin.
This is not the proper venue to deal with this.
Gabe
Old August 26th 11, 09:18 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB[_5_] View Post
On Aug 26, 6:29*am, Walt Connelly Walt.Connelly.
wrote:
'GB[_5_ Wrote:

;781455']On Aug 25, 7:16*am, "

wrote:-
[...]

You may be right regarding the purpose for Mitch's post, I do not know the personalities or relationships involved here. While I agree that there is a difference between being an enabler and standing by your friend, if I was his friend I sure as hell would be pulling him aside and telling him to get his act together if this story is true. Anyone who drinks until 4AM has a problem. That was immature, irresponsible and potentially dangerous. JMHO.

Walt
Old August 27th 11, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
chris[_3_]

On Aug 26, 9:29*am, Walt Connelly Walt.Connelly.
wrote:
'GB[_5_ Wrote:

;781455']On Aug 25, 7:16*am, "

wrote:-
[...]

As someone who was at the competition and one of the people who was up
at 4 in the morning I would like to chime in on the issue. There were
many pilots who stayed up late during the competition from many
different nations. When I saw Devin at the bar during the competition
he was acting responsibly and relatively low key. I also spotted the
US team captain up late and partying on most nights. I do not recall
seeing Devin up any later than 1am. In my opinion and a number of
team captains I spoke to was that the punishment was unnecessary and
we feel not embarrassed for Devin but the US soaring scene. I think
the original post is slanderous and full of hear say. Anyone who has
met Devin will know that he is a responsible young man who does like
to have some fun but can take care of himself.

Chris Gough, Canada Team Capatain 2011 JWGC
Old August 27th 11, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GB[_5_]

On Aug 27, 7:13*am, chris wrote:
On Aug 26, 9:29*am, Walt Connelly Walt.Connelly.

wrote:
'GB[_5_ Wrote:

;781455']On Aug 25, 7:16*am, "

wrote:-
[...]

Why as everyone took the word of Mitch Hudson post as factual when he
was not there?? This is a major problem with our society of social
networking sites.
I am not a big fan of this site because of his kind of crap.

I am quite aware of Devin's shortcomings and will not discuss them
here.
We complain that our sport is too top heavy with old cranky guys like
me; then we are ready to throw one our most talented young members
under the bus. Anyone who as flown with Devin will tell you that he is
the very best X country instructor in the USA.
We all can learn something from each other regardless of our age. It
would be nice to see abit more support from this group towards our
young members and putting aside our personality differences.
Hang in there Devin, my friend, we will get through this.

Gabe Bourbeau
Minden NV

Old August 27th 11, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_2_]

Walt Connelly

As someone who was at the competition and one of the people who was up
at 4 in the morning I would like to chime in on the issue. *...

Chris Gough, Canada Team Capatain 2011 JWGC

Good perspective.

The inevitable diffusion of rumors is all the more reason there should
be a post somewhere directly from the team captain, blogger, reporter
or whatever, explaining to the US team's many supporters what was
going on. Still nothing on the US team website.

John Cochrane