Asg29 very slow water dumping issue (20+ minutes and wings still halffull or more)

Old December 15th 16, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

Default Asg29 very slow water dumping issue (20+ minutes and wings stillhalf full or more)

On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 9:09:57 AM UTC-5, Tiffany Fidler wrote:
Aren't you the classy one, Kevin?

If anyone has any constructive or helpful comments, I would also be interested in hearing them.

Thanks in advance,
Tiffany

On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 8:39:26 AM UTC-5, Kevin Christner wrote:
Maybe I was perceiving actual dump time wrong (need a stopwatch)? Maybe I thought only 3 minutes was 10-15? Maybe I was my using the fuselage tank valve handle accidentally and not the wing/tail?

Based upon your known history of RAS multiple personality disorder its highly likely that you opened your dump valve then experienced what appeared to be a 15 minute time lapse during your Wilbur phase. When Sean regained control of your mind it had really only been 3 minutes. Be careful over there Sean (Wilbur). Such mental lapses could get someone killed during ATs with 40+ gliders playing chicken that you have so often demanded.

I'm glad I could help clear things up for Sean (Wilbur) and issue this friendly safety warning to the rest of the WGC field.

I'm glad to see Sean didn't take the bait on this one. The last thing he needs right now is someone distracting him with stupid **** like this. i hope he gets the water dumping issue sorted out and can compete with a clear relaxed focused mind. GO TEAM USA!
Old December 15th 16, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 5:16:38 PM UTC-6, Sean wrote:
Thanks all. I adjusted the range and the valve was only opening 3 to half of max. It's now max. Photos attached.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0VGdFryYGOiuZv

Very happy to have learned this.

Best,

Sean
7T

Hope you got it fixed, Sean. May not mean anything, but in the photo on the right (the left hand valve control), the lower nut is not up against the drive tube. Might make it hard to close because you are now counting on a spring somewhere to close the valve? Or, were you still in process of adjusting at that time? I got to fly half or so of a task with about 150 lbs of water in one wing, the other empty because a valve didn't close. Turned great one way, but not so good the other!

Steve Leonard

Old December 15th 16, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Christner

Kevin, what is wrong with you and this personal attack? Do you have a bad day?

Nope not at all. Its just fun to see what buttons I need to press before he threatens to put me in a straight jacket again.

Old December 15th 16, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 6:48:05 AM UTC-5, Sean wrote:
This has been a problem since late this summer. Asymmetric and or slow dumping.

After having the valves open today for (guessing) 20+ minutes (to be sure it was dry) I landed to find the wings with significant water (10-15 gallons a side) still on-board. Water flows thru the outboard panels so they are clear. The valves seem to be opening fine on the ground. We checked the outer panel for flow carefully this am before flying. Water flowed thru easily when the full wing was lowered slightly.

This is quite a mystery. It cost me significantly today. I thought I was empty but was still well over 10 lb/ft I'm guessing by the amount of water still in the wings when I had landed. It took 5-7 minutes for the water to dump AFTER I had landed.

Any ideas on what could be cuasing an excessively slow dump cycle? Anyone else having this problem? What else should I check for? What is the expected dump time for a 29? I use 6 minutes to be safe usually.

Maybe I was perceiving actual dump time wrong (need a stopwatch)? Maybe I thought only 3 minutes was 10-15? Maybe I was my using the fuselage tank valve handle accidentally and not the wing/tail? Even if this was the case it was 7-10 minutes from my last "thermal" to the ground and the water was flowing fine out of each wing valve when I landed. So the right valve handle was opened at this point. This should have emptied the wings alone easily, to say nothing if the 10-20 minutes the valves were open in occasional dumps before that point.

Thanks in advance for ideas...

Sincerely,

Sean

Looks like you got it fixed, Good job in race 2