Bible-beater pilots

Old December 1st 03, 01:56 AM
Matthew P. Cummings

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 14:26:49 +0000, Jay Honeck wrote:

This is GREAT, John! I'm still crying!

I think I've found my new religion...

Well, before we leap we best make sure he walks the walk. You think you
know somebody and then whammo, they drop the bigun on you...

Old December 1st 03, 02:19 AM
Jay Honeck

Makes me wonder what would happen if I (or anyone) stayed at his little
hotel and he found something about us odd. What would be posted on this
newsgroup the following week?

I promise not to use real names! :-)

Incredibly, we were eating brunch in Janesville, WI today when that very
same beautiful blood-red Mooney came taxiing in!

Staring at each other in disbelief, Mary and I were grabbing the kids and
heading toward the door when, much to our relief, they taxied on by...

The last time I felt that good was when I evaded the truant officer in 10th
grade!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 1st 03, 02:29 AM
Jay Honeck

The last time I felt that good was when I evaded the truant officer in
10th
grade!

By the way -- the truant officer was a Catholic nun! (Nothing ever really
changes, does it? :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 1st 03, 04:11 AM
Chris W

Teacherjh wrote:

Noone seems to have a good definition of "religious".

Basing one's life (the little decisions as well as the big one) on fundamental
precepts which are by nature unprovable and undisprovable, and holding forth
that these precepts represent TRUTH (and any competing precepts represent evil,
or at least folly)

Seems you are doing a good job of proving Rob's point.

--
Chris W

"They that can give up essential liberty
to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
Old December 1st 03, 03:12 PM
Teacherjh

Seems you are doing a good job of proving Rob's point.

....which is what?

You say that as if it were an error. I reread Rob's )
posts, I tend to agree with them. I don't know that he was trying to =make= a
point, just refuting other people's claims and correcting misconceptions
(especially about math).

Jose

Old December 1st 03, 06:48 PM
Chris W

Teacherjh wrote:

Seems you are doing a good job of proving Rob's point.

...which is what?

Rob said; "Noone seems to have a good definition of "religious"."

You offered a definition of religious, and I am saying that your attempt
at a definition goes to prove Rob's statement that no one has a good
definition of religious, since your definition is very far from a good
one.

--
Chris W
Old December 1st 03, 07:00 PM
Andrew Gideon

Rob Perkins wrote:

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 11:51:46 -0500, Andrew Gideon
wrote:

Really. It's tough to have a discussion with someone that makes up
definitions for words.

What?! Point to the spot where *I* made up a definition for a word.

In message , you cite scripture
instead of dictionary as a source of a definition. It was to this I
referred with the text (which you didn't include in your citation):

When I realized that he'd countered my dictionary citation
with some referenced scripture...well, there's little point
to this.

You'd do as well to cite a Spanish dictionary for the definition of an
English word. It's about as meaninful.

- Andrew

Old December 1st 03, 08:55 PM
Andrew Gideon

G.R. Patterson III wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

It certainly was!

Bah!

100' VV at my destination airport.

- Andrew

Old December 1st 03, 09:00 PM
mike regish

It can be uncomfortable to leave in that situation. Especially after one has
already started eating. Some might feel they are being rude to leave. (I
wouldn't in this situation) And you've already got your food started, you
silverware being used, your drink on the table. You napkin unfolded or
whatever. It's just plain a pain in the ass to have to move. However, after
asking once to change the subject, if it didn't change I'd make as many
trips as necessary to get as far away from them as possible. And I'd
probably (now this is me talking) make as big a production as I could of it.
Might just embarass them enough to knock it off next time. Probably not,
though.

mike regish

"Richard Hertz" wrote in message
t...
Um, no - he was free to leave any time. He joined them for a meal, they
chatted about stuff, then the topic came to religion. What is rude?

Just
say "Sorry, bye." and go on your way. No need to make fun of people or

name
call.

I think the terrorism thing is a bit overstated, don't you? Not at all

the
same thing. What was aggressive? Jay could have walked away any time, or
asked to drop the subject.

I think the religion thing is a waste of time, however I am at least
respectful of people's religions - especially the ones that are

consistent.

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
"Richard Hertz" wrote:
And that is precisely why you should respect these folks you had
a hard time with - they were at least acting consistently with their
religion.

What is that, an excuse? We should respect rude, aggressive
proselytizers because they are able to convince themselves God wants
them to behave that way? Islamic terrorists use that exact
rationalization.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old December 1st 03, 11:05 PM
Jay Honeck

whatever. It's just plain a pain in the ass to have to move. However,
after
asking once to change the subject, if it didn't change I'd make as many
trips as necessary to get as far away from them as possible. And I'd
probably (now this is me talking) make as big a production as I could of

it.
Might just embarass them enough to knock it off next time. Probably not,
though.

In my younger days (and if Mary was not with me), I most certainly would
have done exactly THAT.

Nowadays, I'm so danged mellow, I'll put up with just about anything --
especially if there's an all-you-can-eat buffet nearby.... ;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA