Mystery plane ..... was it ever ID'd ?

Old March 12th 08, 12:19 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dingo[_4_]

Default Mystery plane ..... was it ever ID'd ?

This image was posted here on a.b.p.a. about February, 2000 and generated
some long threads as to its ID. But IIRC it was never positively ID'd. Any
ideas, folks ?
~~
Dingo

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	strange plane.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	23362
Old March 12th 08, 06:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

"Dingo" ? wrote in
:

This image was posted here on a.b.p.a. about February, 2000 and
generated some long threads as to its ID. But IIRC it was never
positively ID'd. Any ideas, folks ?
~~
Dingo

Attachment decoded: untitled-2.txt
------=_NextPart_000_0175_01C883CE.52F6D970

Attachment decoded: strange plane.jpg
------=_NextPart_000_0175_01C883CE.52F6D970--

Had to dig deep in the archives for that one...

SNCASE 580 / Sud Est SE 580

Christophe Meunier from France responded with the following:

The SNCA Sud Est SE 580 comes from the SNCA du Midi M 580 project of
1940. It would have 2 coupled engines. Then SNCASE overtook the SNCAM,
and wind-tunnel trials occured in 1943. After France being freed, in
1944, the SE 580 prototype was officially ordered, by the Air Minister
then by the French Navy. The 580 code was linked to the 520 (Dewoitine)
family, and the wing structure was typically Dewoitine (private
companies disappeared in the French aviation world in 1936, replaced by
government-owned SNCAs : Sociétés Nationales de Construction
Aéronautique / Aeronautic Manufacturing National Societies). The rear
fuselage included an internal radiator, feeded in air by a dorsal
intake. With this position, the radiator was almost protected. The
dorsal air-intake principle was kept alive on projects SE 2410/2415. On
the SE 580, the engine would have been a 24-cylinders one, instead of 2x
12 cylinders ones. The power was 2500 hp for a start, but 3600 hp was
expected. Armament would have been a 30mm gun in the airscrew and four
20mm guns in the wing, and a vertical camera would have been installed
in the central fuselage. In 1946, the Hispano-Suiza 24Z engine (with
contra-rotating airscrews) was discarded and changed for a 24H engine
(German Jumo 213 manufactured in France), with one big 5-blade propeller
and a lower axis, and so a longer landing gear. Then wind-tunnel test
required to move the engine forward and make important changes in the
wing. That was a lot of work, and the piston-engined aircraft were not
up-to-date anymore. And the SNCASE had enough work with other projects.
So SNCASE stopped work on this SE 580, without achieving the prototype
manufacturing. The SNCA du Centre (SNCAC) could have taken on this
project to finish it, but this project was discarded, too. So, no "first
fly" for the SE 580. Span 15.862m - Length 13.000m - Weight 5093kg empty
and 8128kg maximum - Maximum speed 749km/h (much !). All that comes from
the Docavia book No.28 (wonderful book, with many French unbuilt
projects of 1944-1960, but it is rather expensive).
Tophe.

http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/archi...php?t-734.html

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...02/ai_n8931139
Old March 12th 08, 11:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dingo[_4_]

"John Szalay" wrote in message
42...

"Dingo" ? wrote in
:

[...]

Thanks, John, I guess I must have missed the answer back then.
~~
Dingo ;~)

Old March 13th 08, 01:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

"Dingo" ? wrote in This image was posted
here on a.b.p.a. about February, 2000 and
generated some long threads as to its ID. But IIRC it was never
positively ID'd. Any ideas, folks ?
~~
Dingo

SNCASE 580 / Sud Est SE 580

Thanks, John, I guess I must have missed the answer back then.
~~
Dingo ;~)

My pleasure, I remember the picture and had it on an old disk drive
along with the answer. then googled to find any follow-ups.
there was another picture as well, but I could not find that one.
the two engine thing was what really got my attention..

I remembered that it was a French prototype, but had to refresh the
details... Enjoy.....

Old March 13th 08, 06:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dingo[_4_]

"John Szalay" wrote in message
42...

"Dingo" ? wrote in This image was posted
here on a.b.p.a. about February, 2000 and
generated some long threads as to its ID. But IIRC it was never
positively ID'd. Any ideas, folks ?
~~
Dingo

SNCASE 580 / Sud Est SE 580

Thanks, John, I guess I must have missed the answer back then.
~~
Dingo ;~)

My pleasure, I remember the picture and had it on an old disk drive
along with the answer. then googled to find any follow-ups.
there was another picture as well, but I could not find that one.
the two engine thing was what really got my attention..

I remembered that it was a French prototype, but had to refresh the
details... Enjoy.....

Yes, there were two images. Here's the second one as posted, strangely
cropped.
Thanks again,
~~
Dingo

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	strange plane Detail of engine.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	23387
Old March 13th 08, 09:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

Default Mystery plane ..... was it ever ID'd ? - 1 attachment

"Dingo" ? wrote in news:EvudnfZzQIEd-
Yes, there were two images. Here's the second one as posted, strangely
cropped.
Thanks again,
~~
Dingo

Heres the other picture I remember, found it here with the drawings

http://www.airwarfareforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=41774

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	se-580.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	23389

Old March 13th 08, 07:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
bob

Here's a photo of the Hispano-Suiza 24 Z engine. Looks very heavy!

Bob

"Dingo" ? wrote in message

This image was posted here on a.b.p.a. about February, 2000 and generated
some long threads as to its ID. But IIRC it was never positively ID'd. Any
ideas, folks ?
~~
Dingo

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HS 24Z.jpg
Views:	3563
Size:	352.2 KB
ID:	23388

IO-540 mystery Paul Tomblin Owning 27 August 31st 07 08:59 PM
Mystery Plane [email protected] Piloting 8 November 9th 06 02:30 PM
Mystery plane! - New stealth fighter Chris Gumm Piloting 34 October 13th 04 05:09 PM
Mystery Movie Plane is F/A-37 Talon robert arndt Military Aviation 8 July 15th 04 08:12 AM
GPS Mystery tony roberts Owning 5 February 3rd 04 01:54 AM