Lumilor

Old July 25th 17, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Lumilor

I wonder if this stuff https://www.lumilor.com/ is visible in the day
time... If so, it would make a great anti-collision paint.
--
Dan, 5J

Old July 25th 17, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 10:13:36 -0600, Dan Marotta wrote:

I wonder if this stuff https://www.lumilor.com/ is visible in the day
time... If so, it would make a great anti-collision paint.

Its difficult to know, but it may be quite dim in daylight. I get the
strong impression its for fancy after dark or indoor displays. Could be
amazing in a theatre or a rock venue.

Most of the colours, apart from orange, are blues and green. There 's no
red available and I didn't see any pics showing the orange stuff. It may
also be telling that most of the photos they show are at dusk and night
time. In the one or two bright daytime shots, of the A350-1000, I
couldn't tell whether the Lumilor was meant to be powered up or not. I
assumed these were to show that it looked OK when unpowered during the
day.

Annoyingly, the datasheets all boil down to application notes and safety
sheets: I was looking for electrical specifications, but apart from
recommending that it needs AC power at 80-200v and works best at 1000Hz,
presumably to reduce visible flicker, I couldn't find anything.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old July 25th 17, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 11:13:41 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
I wonder if this stuff is visible in the
day time...Â* If so, it would make a great anti-collision paint.

Actually, in daylight it might make great stealth paint!

See this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yehudi_lights

Perfect for dropping a leech or following the gaggle unobserved...

Kirk
66
Old July 25th 17, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

According to their FAQ page, it runs on 100 Volts to 200 Volts, Alternating Current only. If using batteries to provide AC power through an inverter, a "small" inverter will power 1 square foot (.0929 sq Meter). A "large" inverter will power 2 square feet (.186 sq meter). Current draw is 1 milliamp per square inch, so 1 square foot is 144 milliamps.

Doesn't sound practical. Intense flashing LEDs are a better bet. At least they won't require an extension cord.
Old July 27th 17, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 4:31:19 PM UTC-4, wrote:
According to their FAQ page, it runs on 100 Volts to 200 Volts, Alternating Current only. If using batteries to provide AC power through an inverter, a "small" inverter will power 1 square foot (.0929 sq Meter). A "large" inverter will power 2 square feet (.186 sq meter). Current draw is 1 milliamp per square inch, so 1 square foot is 144 milliamps.

Doesn't sound practical. Intense flashing LEDs are a better bet. At least they won't require an extension cord.

Doesn't sound practical.

Well - not so fast! Maybe it is not practical on our gliders but how about turning the backs of our trailers into one 'big-ass' stop light?
Could a 12VDC fed inverter provide enough AC juice to light up a 1m^2 surface? 1m^2 = 1,550in^2, so according to the above, one would need 1,550mA or 1.55A. That doesn't sound too bad.
Opinions?

Uli
'AS'
Old July 27th 17, 12:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Wed, 26 Jul 2017 16:54:58 -0700, AS wrote:

[...]

Nice thought!

But, one tiny niggle: is their orange paint red enough to count as a
stoplight? IIRC transport authorities tend to be picky about that.
Remember Lumilor doesn't do red because materials cost.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old July 27th 17, 01:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 7:55:56 AM UTC-4, Martin Gregorie wrote:
[...]

Ahhh - didn't think about the color but at any rate, even if the back of the trailer turns bright white at night with the stop lights functioning in their legal red, it sure would be an attention grabbing feature.
Or how about paining on a matrix with large (1in^2) pixels which would allow for all kinds of fun, like spelling out the word 'STOP' once you hit the brakes. The possibilities are endless. :-)

Uli
'AS'
Old July 27th 17, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

wrote:
[...]

Over here, anyway, I think the rozzers would have something to say about
a white or blue lightshow on the back at night. IIRC the only white light
allowed on the back is the license plate illumination, and that's
indirect in any case, since its aimed at the plate and the lamp shouldn't
be directly visible to a following driver.

Might get away with orange though. A giant orange STOP across the back
panel with an exclamation mark the full height of the fin box would be
fairly unmissable. How about writing WATCH IT and connecting it to a
distance sensor as the brakes?

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK