Ely

Old July 30th 17, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Ely

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 8:15:06 AM UTC-7, Dan Mockler wrote:
I just returned from a week in Ely and I wanted to report on the weather,
facilities and such.

The weather while not epic was phenomenal.
I managed 5000 kilometer in seven days, two of which were considered 1\2
days.

The towplane was exceptional and pilot a pro. I had complete confidence at
all
times.

I was reacquianted with people I had not seen in decades and meet many
people for the first time. All said, a great group.
All worked together to pull off smooth operations, which worked.

Bottom line, a class act, great facilities, and an excellent operation.

Already looking forward to next year!

Dan Mockler
3M

It was nice to land at Ely and meet new and old friends. Lot's of state of the art aircraft there.
The tow out of there the next day was unreal. Dust devils all over the place. I had one of the strongest thermals of my life. 15 knots on the averager for over 4,000' gain.
Old July 30th 17, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru

I climbed from 10K to 18K in 4 minutes there one time. It was so fun I almost wanted to open my spoilers and do it again!

Boggs
Old July 30th 17, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Sounds like fun.
Best climb I ever had was 14+knots on the averager in a thermal just NW of Mifflin at 15M Nats(?) maybe 12 years ago. Went from "picking field height" to cloudbase (5K climb?) fast. Fred Schmidt(sp?) and another were a mile away at "only" 12 knots.
Ballpark was 400' per circle!
In PA!

The same day DJ was flying around with "yellow ice" on the bottom of his LS-6 due to temps at cloudbase and his pee system.