Avgas in France has reached $7.50/gal !

Old April 24th 05, 03:02 AM
Jay Honeck

you are most likely using Windows XP. go to "start" - "run". type

"cmd"
without the hyphens - enter. now you have a black window. now type
(without hyphens): "ping 82.150.192.1" - enter. now you see your

computer
sending out packets and the time it needs. after sending 3 or 4

packtes it
shows you a summary. you should have an average time of something

like
150msec to reach this target (it is one of my nameservers here in

Austria).

Average time: 194 milliseconds.

You can by no means make this faster, because light takes it time

across
the Atlantic ocean. :-) .. but you can try "ping

www.alexisparkinn.com" -
enter. you will resolve to the IP 69.36.241.130 and might have times

below
80ms.

Average time: 154 milliseconds. It only took 40 milliseconds more to
go to Austria, versus pinging Jav Henderson's server in Southern
California.

Amazing stuff, this internet.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 24th 05, 03:21 AM
Jay Honeck

Ahem...120,000 is not now and never will be a "metro area".

Think again. In Iowa, and other Midwest and plains states, that is

downright huge metro area. Such as are the wide open spaces in the

US.
--

The feds consider a "Metro Area" to be 1 million population or more

and have
since the 60's I think.

In the Midwest, where towns can be separated by vast distances, a
metropolitan area is quite different from the traditional "big city"
metro area. Yet, because of the distances involved, you will often
find all of the things normally associated with larger cities in a
(relatively) small group of communities.

I'm always surprised to find communities like Iowa City (or places like
Rapid City, SD and Lincoln NE, to name a couple of others) that have
amenities that you just would not expect to find outside major metro
areas.

Iowa City's "hook" is our 600 pound gorilla, the University of Iowa --
but many other small Midwest communities have "Big City fare" simply
because of their isolation. They thus have a "Big City feel" combined
with all the advantages of small town life -- a perfect combination,
IMHO.

I often wonder how the internet will affect this phenomenon. Now that
it is possible to have "next-day-air" delivery virtually anywhere, and
you can order anything instantly off the internet, how long will it be
until people REALLY disperse all over the countryside, completely
dispensing with the rudiments of what we consider "community"...?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 24th 05, 03:57 AM
Jay Honeck

Yeah, I own a bunch of Delta woodworking power tools -- from back in
the days when they were made in the USA.

When I bought my Jet jointer, it was almost unbelievably expensive --
and a power planer was nearly unaffordable. Now, ALL are affordable,
and appear to be virtually identical to my tools -- with the exception
that they are now all made in China.

The amazing thing (to me) is that they can make something heavy like a
planer, ship it all the way around the world -- and STILL be less than
50% as expensive as their American counterparts. It's frightening in
a way.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 24th 05, 04:25 AM
Jay Honeck

do you really think because of your security improvements (aheeem)

since
'then' there has been no further attack by plane?

Yes.

Get a life, Jay, I really am astounded that you believe that.

I know I shouldn't ask this, but what,in your opinion,if NOT improved
security measures, has prevented another 9/11-style attack?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 24th 05, 05:20 AM
leslie

Dave Stadt ) wrote:
:
: This just in..........Chrysler (or whatever name they are going by now
: days) is openly discussing moving some manufacturing to China.
:

GM already build some Buick models in Communist China and plans to build
Cadillacs there too:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?G266514A8
General Motors Officially Launches Cadillac Brand in China

The original link, wrapped to 2 lines:

http://www.autointell-news.com/News-...4/June-2004-2/
June-09-04-p1.htm
General Motors Officially Launches Cadillac Brand in China

"General Motors Officially Launches Cadillac Brand in China
Will Redefine Luxury Segment in World's Fastest-Growing Market

"Beijing, China - During a ceremony at Beijing's Imperial Ancestors'
Temple, a symbol of ancient China, General Motors officially launched
Cadillac, its premium luxury brand for modern China.

Three new Cadillac models that will be sold in China - the CTS, SRX
and XLR - were unveiled at the ceremony. All three products embody
Cadillac's distinctive bold design, purposeful innovation and balanced
performance.

The high-performance, rear-wheel-drive Cadillac CTS luxury sedan will
enter the China market this fall. The Cadillac SRX, which features the
comfort of a luxury sport sedan combined with the versatility of a
sport-utility vehicle, will enter the market later this year. The
Cadillac XLR, the brand's flagship luxury roadster, will be available
in China in early 2005.

All three models will start as imports from GM's North American
Operations. They will be built at the company's Grand River
manufacturing facility in Lansing, Michigan, and at its facility in
Bowling Green, Kentucky. Both the CTS and SRX will be assembled soon
thereafter at Shanghai General Motors Company Limited (Shanghai GM),
making the joint venture of GM and Shanghai Automotive Industry
Corporation Group (SAIC) the only facility outside the United States
to produce Cadillacs. GM will collaborate with Shanghai GM to market
and distribute Cadillac vehicles in China.

In conjunction with the launch of the brand, GM has begun building an
exclusive Cadillac dealership network in China. A family of new and
exclusive Cadillac dealerships will begin opening in August 2004 in 11
major Chinese cities such as Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou.

The authorized sales and aftersales network is comprised of the best
dealers in China, which were selected based on a rigid set of
criteria. All Cadillac facilities in China will offer the best of the
best premium customer experience.

"We are proud to be taking GM into an important new high-growth market
segment in China," said Phil Murtaugh, Chairman and CEO of the GM
China Group. "Introducing Cadillac is part of our strategy of moving
fast to address the needs of our customers. By setting a new standard
in the premium luxury segment, Cadillac will contribute to the
continued development and industry leadership of GM in China. At the
same time, it will help create new opportunities for GM's global
operations in the world's fastest-growing vehicle market."

According to Chen Hong, President of Shanghai GM and Vice President of
SAIC, "Cadillac is an important part of Shanghai GM's multi-brand
strategy. It will take the image of Shanghai GM to a new level while
giving us the widest range of products in the broadest range of
segments. We are confident the combination of Shanghai GM's strong
competitiveness, expanding operating capacity, world-class
manufacturing capability, and industry-leading sales and aftersales
service will help ensure Cadillac's long-term success in China."

"Over the last 100 years, Cadillac has won worldwide acclaim for
setting the standard for luxury in the automotive industry. As it
embarks on its second century, Cadillac continues to set the standard
for luxury," said Mark LaNeve, General Manager of Cadillac. "China
represents a key component of Cadillac's global growth strategy. We
look forward to working with GM China and Shanghai GM to ensure that
Cadillac becomes the brand of choice among luxury vehicle buyers in
China."

Shanghai GM is a 50-50 joint venture that produces and markets
vehicles, engines and transmissions. Established in 1997, it currently
manufactures the Buick Regal upper-medium sedan, Buick Excelle
lower-medium sedan, Buick Sail small car and Buick GL8 executive
wagon. Shanghai GM has adopted many of GM's advanced manufacturing
systems and processes such as the Global Manufacturing System. Its
products have been certified equal in terms of quality to those built
by GM facilities elsewhere around the world.

Earlier today, GM and SAIC announced that Shanghai GM would increase
its annual production capacity from 200,000 vehicles to 450,000
vehicles to support its aggressive new product plans, including the
introduction of Cadillac. The expanded facility is expected to begin
operation in 2005. GM and SAIC also announced their intention to
expand Shanghai GM's engine plant.

(June 7, 2004)"

--Jerry Leslie
Note: is invalid for email
Old April 24th 05, 05:59 AM
Matt Barrow

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...

do you really think because of your security improvements (aheeem)

since
'then' there has been no further attack by plane?

Yes.

Get a life, Jay, I really am astounded that you believe that.

I know I shouldn't ask this, but what,in your opinion,if NOT improved
security measures, has prevented another 9/11-style attack?

http://capmag.com/article.asp?ID=4189

Stupid Airport Security 2
by Walter Williams (April 12, 2005)

Hundreds of readers responded to last week's column about airport security.
These were letters from Americans who fit no terrorist profile -- airline
pilots, mothers traveling with children, disabled people, elderly and other
law-abiding Americans -- and yet were frisked, groped and hassled. The
Transportation Security Administration (TSA) behaves as if all passengers
and all baggage pose an equal security threat, and that's stupid, because
not nearly all passengers and baggage pose a security threat.

////////////

Old April 24th 05, 06:00 AM
Morgans

"leslie" wrote

: This just in..........Chrysler (or whatever name they are going by now
: days) is openly discussing moving some manufacturing to China.
:

GM already build some Buick models in Communist China and plans to build
Cadillacs there too:

China is the best at making copies, and learning manufacturing methods from
other companies. It will not be making US cars for long, before they have
learned what they need, then they will be using what they have learned to
begin producing their own brands. They are the best at stealing patents,
and making what they want, under their own brands.

Just wait and see. It will not take long.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 24th 05, 06:55 AM
Peter Duniho

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...

do you really think because of your security improvements (aheeem)

since
'then' there has been no further attack by plane?

Yes.

Get a life, Jay, I really am astounded that you believe that.

I know I shouldn't ask this, but what,in your opinion,if NOT improved
security measures, has prevented another 9/11-style attack?

What, in your opinion, if NOT improved security measures, has prevented any
pink elephants from boarding commercial airline flights?

Ignoring, for a moment, that the latest GAO report indicates that post-9/11
security is not in fact improved, even if it had been improved, the lack of
any further attacks doesn't in any way suggest that it's the security itself
responsible for the lack of further attacks.

Pete

Old April 24th 05, 10:11 AM
Chris

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...

do you really think because of your security improvements (aheeem)

since
'then' there has been no further attack by plane?

Yes.

Get a life, Jay, I really am astounded that you believe that.

I know I shouldn't ask this, but what,in your opinion,if NOT improved
security measures, has prevented another 9/11-style attack?

The terrorists do not need to do another 9/11 style attack. They have
achieved their end. They have caused more difficulties for all Americans
than the 4000 killed in 9/11.

Life will never be the same again - that's a result.

Old April 24th 05, 10:45 AM
Martin Hotze

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 00:27:43 GMT, Matt Whiting wrote:

You too, Matt. Snip your posts.

Don't read 'em.

this is asocial.

your posting is ditributed to thousands of newsservers, no matter if
someone reads it or not. It might seem like nitpicking, because the posting
is only some k small (and bandwidth-costs have dropped; but you are very
welcome to start as an ISP and see the total costs involved). But keep in
mind that newsservice is mostly only running at your ISP because there is
one employee loving to keep this service running. And multiple your few k
of useless quoting with thousand newsservers with hundreds of people with
your bad attitude.

MAtt

#m
--
http://www.hotze.priv.at/album/aviation/caution.jpg

Soaring near Paris, France (Not Texas :-) [email protected] Soaring 17 November 13th 04 07:39 PM
News from France HECTOP Piloting 12 April 1st 04 01:16 AM
Russia joins France and Germany captain! Military Aviation 12 September 9th 03 09:56 AM
France Bans the Term 'E-Mail' bsh Military Aviation 38 July 26th 03 03:18 PM
"France downplays jet swap with Russia" Mike Military Aviation 8 July 21st 03 05:46 AM