Damp trailer

Old September 20th 11, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt RX Matt RX is offline
Junior Member

Default Damp trailer

I have a Schreder trailer that I'm having trouble dealing with mositure. It
is all metal including the floor and has good positive venting includng a
solar vent. Despite this I can open the trailer after only a week and find
evidence on my glider of signficant mositure. It may just be the dew cycle
and I think what happens is we have a heavy dew overnight and then the
folllowing days are cloudy/wet and the moisutre is not able to evaporate.
Should I install more solar fans?

I know this is an endelss debate....I have heard comments around sealing up
the trailer instead and using dehumidifiers? are there any cordless
dehumidifiers that could be placed in a trailer that would do the job.

A few more years of this are going to kill the Simtec/Prestec. It just
doesn'tlike the prolonged mositure.

Anyone else had problems with Prestec deteriortating quickly from
mositure?

The only option may be to park the trailer inside.

Old September 21st 11, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sep 20, 1:08*pm, Matt Rx wrote:
I have a Schreder trailer that I'm having trouble dealing with mositure.

I live in Florida and have an all metal trailer. A fiberglass
sailplane tucked away inside. The humidity down here is ridiculous,
the inside walls of the trailer would condense the moisure like a
glass of iced tea. I sealed up everything with weather stripping,
painted the floor and then , now this is the important part, lined the
entire interior with a 1/8" thick foam material. The same stuff they
use for headliner padding underneath. Fairly dense material that
resist water penetration. I think it ran me about $200.00. You could
go thicker as many sizes are available. What this does is insulates
the trailer from the heat and also creates a barrier that takes longer
to cool off, therefore it inhibits the formation of moisture inside. I
have not had an issue with moisure since. Took alot of measuring and
cutting and than I glued it onto the walls with contact cement. Messy,
smelly, not much fun. Definitely use a good respirator when doing this
or you'll never live to tell anyone about your project, or you'll lose
99.9% of your brain and never be able to tell anyone about your
project.
Craig