HP series landing gear info needed

Old September 22nd 11, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Default HP series landing gear info needed

Can someone familiar with the HP series of aircraft give me some info
regarding the landing gear shock strut charging process? I am about
ready to install it and need info on fluid type, amount and charging.

Thanks,
Brad
N599GK
Old September 22nd 11, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

Brad,

Here is the Schreder strut "rebuild" article from my website.
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Co...d-O-rings.html

When I owned the HP-16T currently being flown by Brian Case, the strut was
filled with 5606 hydraulic oil. When I rebuilt my HP-14 I followed Bruce
Patton's advice filled the struts with oil designed for motorcycle for
forks. (The bottle is in my hangar. If you want the exact type, I'll be
happy to go to the airport and forward you the information.) The motorcycle
oil has served me well for the past seven years.

Wayne
http://tinyurl.com/N990-6F

Old September 22nd 11, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Sep 22, 1:14*pm, Brad wrote:
Can someone familiar with the HP series of aircraft give me some info
regarding the landing gear shock strut charging process? I am about
ready to install it and need info on fluid type, amount and charging.

Thanks,
Brad
N599GK

Not an HP-18 strut, I hope. I must have rebuilt mine a dozen times.
Usually on great soaring days when it went flat on the way out to the
line. Just weld the ef'fing thing. Or cut off a couple well chosen
lengths of broom handle to fill the space. The basic problem with the
18 strut was no bearing surface and no way to maintain alignment.
When compressed, it would end up rubbing metal on metal inside the
cylinder, it would gall, the galled surface would then make short work
of the o-rings.

You filled each leg with enough auto tranny fluid to reach the piston
at full extension (rusty memory -- maybe 3" in ea leg), assemble,
then charge from N2 bottle (best) or cessnoid type strut pump borrowed
from spam-can mechanic. It takes several hundred psi. On the third
rebuild, go find a broom that needs a shorter handle.

-Evan Ludeman / T8

Old September 22nd 11, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Sep 22, 11:41*am, T8 wrote:
On Sep 22, 1:14*pm, Brad wrote:

[...]

guys, it IS an HP-18 strut...................is this typical of all
HP-18 struts? dealing with a low tire is one thing, dealing with a
defective strut is another, especially on good soaring days!

Brad
Old September 22nd 11, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

Brad,

I have owned an HP-16T and my current HP-14. They both have struts almost
identical to the HP-18. I haven't had significant problems with either one.
We also have a HP-11 in the area and that bird hasn't exhibited problems.

I initially rebuilt my HP-14 strut as part of getting it ready to fly after
a 20 year hiatus from flight. It may, or may not have needed the rebuild.
I service the strut with N2 prior to each annual condition inspection. It
will last a full year if the stored in the trailer between flights. If I
leave it tied out on the ramp it may need to be serviced midseason.

Wayne

"Brad" wrote in message news:6bfb95c6-1125-466b-b952-75c360f3cfc8@
dl27g2000prd.googlegroups.com...

Old September 22nd 11, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Sep 22, 2:54*pm, Brad wrote:
On Sep 22, 11:41*am, T8 wrote:

On Sep 22, 1:14*pm, Brad wrote:

[...]

Take a look at how the thing is built. Ask yourself what prevents
metal/metal contact in the cylinder bore. In my case I think the
piston (the very end, just past the o-ring groove) is what chewed up
the cylinder bores. I remember trying to use a brake cylinder hone to
clean things up. It might have helped a little. My ship may have had
some gear alignment issues that pushed it over the edge. Obviously,
it worked fairly well for others. I've seen other HPs with flat
struts over the years. If I were doing it over again, I really would
weld the sucker (make certain you get the alignment exactly right).
Who needs a shock strut when you land at 30 mph?
Old September 22nd 11, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Sep 22, 12:30*pm, T8 wrote:
On Sep 22, 2:54*pm, Brad wrote:

On Sep 22, 11:41*am, T8 wrote:

On Sep 22, 1:14*pm, Brad wrote:

[...]

I'm leaning more and more for a rigid strut..............instead of
welding, I like the idea of a broom handle/wooden dowel, that's
technology I can appreciate!

Brad
Old September 22nd 11, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

wrote:
On Sep 22, 12:30Â*pm, T8 wrote:
On Sep 22, 2:54Â*pm, Brad wrote:

On Sep 22, 11:41Â*am, T8 wrote:

On Sep 22, 1:14Â*pm, Brad wrote:

Can someone familiar with the HP series of aircraft give me some info
regarding the landing gear shock strut charging process? I am about
ready to install it and need info on fluid type, amount and charging.

Thanks,
Brad
N599GK

Not an HP-18 strut, I hope. Â*I must have rebuilt mine a dozen times.
Usually on great soaring days when it went flat on the way out to the
line. Â*Just weld the ef'fing thing. Â*Or cut off a couple well chosen
lengths of broom handle to fill the space. Â*The basic problem with the
18 strut was no bearing surface and no way to maintain alignment.
When compressed, it would end up rubbing metal on metal inside the
cylinder, it would gall, the galled surface would then make short work
of the o-rings.

You filled each leg with enough auto tranny fluid to reach the piston
at full extension (rusty memory -- maybe 3" in ea leg), assemble,
then charge from N2 bottle (best) or cessnoid type strut pump borrowed
from spam-can mechanic. Â*It takes several hundred psi. Â*On the third
rebuild, go find a broom that needs a shorter handle.

-Evan Ludeman / T8

guys, it IS an HP-18 strut...................is this typical of all
HP-18 struts? dealing with a low tire is one thing, dealing with a
defective strut is another, especially on good soaring days!

Brad

Take a look at how the thing is built. Â* Ask yourself what prevents
metal/metal contact in the cylinder bore. Â*In my case I think the
piston (the very end, just past the o-ring groove) is what chewed up
the cylinder bores. Â*I remember trying to use a brake cylinder hone to
clean things up. Â*It might have helped a little. Â*My ship may have had
some gear alignment issues that pushed it over the edge. Â*Obviously,
it worked fairly well for others. Â*I've seen other HPs with flat
struts over the years. Â*If I were doing it over again, I really would
weld the sucker (make certain you get the alignment exactly right).
Who needs a shock strut when you land at 30 mph?

I'm leaning more and more for a rigid strut..............instead of
welding, I like the idea of a broom handle/wooden dowel, that's
technology I can appreciate!
Brad

Brad,

Give me a call. My cell # is in my Facebook profile.

--
Android Usenet Reader
http://android.newsgroupstats.hk
Old September 22nd 11, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

Brad

Take a look at how the thing is built. Ask yourself what prevents
metal/metal contact in the cylinder bore. In my case I think the
piston (the very end, just past the o-ring groove) is what chewed up
the cylinder bores. I remember trying to use a brake cylinder hone to
clean things up. It might have helped a little. My ship may have had
some gear alignment issues that pushed it over the edge. Obviously,
it worked fairly well for others. I've seen other HPs with flat
struts over the years. If I were doing it over again, I really would
weld the sucker (make certain you get the alignment exactly right).
Who needs a shock strut when you land at 30 mph?

Brad,

You keep the dirt out with a set of BMX bike fork bellows.

The oil is Honda SS-7 5W.

Wayne
Old September 22nd 11, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

I'm leaning more and more for a rigid strut..............instead of
welding, I like the idea of a broom handle/wooden dowel, that's
technology I can appreciate!

Brad

I would avoid this if possible. Or at least try it the oil 1st.
True for 99 landing out of 100 it will be fine. But that one time you
drop in in from about 4 feet or have land in a rough feild. You will
appreciate the suspension.

They obviously can work well. I haven't had my HP16T struts apart for
at least 5 years. I charged them to about 400psi then
which is just enough to begin to compress them when fully loaded. I
did hone them with a brake hone and install X style O-rings then.
They are still holding very close to the original charge I put into
them 5 years ago.

Brian