Interior Fire Protection?

Old February 16th 05, 04:34 PM
greenwavepilot

Default Interior Fire Protection?

I have been trying to research interior fire protection for use in
homebuilt aircraft, but really haven't been able to find much useful
information. I am not talking about extinguishers which I consider
"active" protection in that you must be able to reach it and activate
it, but "passive" protection for occupants in case of a cabin fire in
flight or post accident.

Is this just something most builders don't care about?

Old February 16th 05, 05:25 PM
abripl

http://www.airtexinteriors.com/ will sell you interior fabrics and
covering materials that they use for FAA approved interiors. They are
fire rated/tested.

SQ2000 canard: http://www.abri.com/sq2000

Old February 17th 05, 01:44 AM
COLIN LAMB

Fire may occur in flight, but is more likely on the ground. Sometimes it
happens when the engine is started, in which case a fire extinguisher is
handy. The most serious fire is one that occurs in an accident. In that
event, fuel may be spread throughout the cabin. The best protection is to
not have the fuel end up in the cabin - which is a design problem.

Another consideration is the clothing of the pilot. There is no sense in
making the material in the cabin fireproof, then wear synthetic clothing
that will make you a crispy critter.

Fire protection is a full package, not just window dressing.

Colin

---

Old February 18th 05, 12:26 AM
trex

I believe prevention is the key here. Once you're on fire, you're
S.O.L. (unless you have a parachute and you could just jump out.
I'd put extra effort into a good fire wall with a fire blanket/padding.
The main reason a plane would catch on fire is because of leaking
fuel. Buy a good fuel line (not the clear, cheap crap) and don't forget
to cover your fuel line with Fire Sleeve. You can get both of these
(relatively) cheaply from Aircraft Spruce or Wag Aero.

Another thought: If you are very cleaver, you could hook up a trigger
in your cockpit to spray your extinguisher through a hose to spray
under the hood.

I heard someone say: "The only time you have too much fuel...is when
you're on fire"

Rex

Old February 18th 05, 12:58 PM
Stealth Pilot

On 17 Feb 2005 16:26:47 -0800, "trex" wrote:

I heard someone say: "The only time you have too much fuel...is when
you're on fire"

a famous quote of Sir Charles Kingsford Smith.

Stealth Pilot
Old February 22nd 05, 03:10 AM
wassbiplane

I have some dandy firewall, exhaust pipe, insulation---Fiberfrax 1/2"
blanket.
2300deg temp rating---see Rec. aviation-marketplace for details.. Jerry

Twin nose protection Jim Burns Owning 5 January 4th 05 07:18 PM
Soverignty Protection Fighter Charles Talleyrand Military Aviation 11 July 19th 04 11:56 PM
Leading edge protection search Tim Hickey Home Built 0 June 28th 04 02:45 AM
How much protection on approach? Michael Instrument Flight Rules 20 January 15th 04 05:58 PM
Ear Protection for Dogs Shirley Piloting 34 December 21st 03 12:25 AM