CFI without commercial?

Old March 1st 05, 03:42 PM
Jay Honeck

Default CFI without commercial?

What are the rules nowadays for getting your CFI? Is a commercial rating
required before you can become a CFI? I imagine it is, since you're
"flying for hire"...?

I know you *used* to be able to get your CFI without an instrument rating,
but I understand that is no longer allowed, right?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 1st 05, 03:54 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

What are the rules nowadays for getting your CFI? Is a commercial
rating required before you can become a CFI? I imagine it is, since
you're "flying for hire"...?

A flight instructor certificate requires either a commercial pilot or
airline transport pilot certificate. You're only flying for hire if you
charge for your instruction.

I know you *used* to be able to get your CFI without an instrument rating,
but I understand that is no longer allowed, right?

Right.

Old March 1st 05, 04:07 PM
Bravo8500

You're only flying for hire if you
charge for your instruction.

Oh no, here we go.

Old March 1st 05, 04:10 PM
Jim Burns

Here ya go Jay:

§ 61.183 Eligibility requirements.
To be eligible for a flight instructor certificate or rating a person must:

(a) Be at least 18 years of age;

(b) Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language. If
the applicant is unable to meet one of these requirements due to medical
reasons, then the Administrator may place such operating limitations on that
applicant's flight instructor certificate as are necessary;

(c) Hold either a commercial pilot certificate or airline transport pilot
certificate with:

(1) An aircraft category and class rating that is appropriate to the flight
instructor rating sought; and

(2) An instrument rating, or privileges on that person's pilot certificate
that are appropriate to the flight instructor rating sought, if applying
for-

(i) A flight instructor certificate with an airplane category and
single-engine class rating;

(ii) A flight instructor certificate with an airplane category and
multiengine class rating;

(iii) A flight instructor certificate with a powered-lift rating; or

(iv) A flight instructor certificate with an instrument rating.

Sorry for just cutting and pasteing the FARs... hope this helps.

Jim

Old March 1st 05, 04:17 PM
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 09:10:30 -0600, "Jim Burns"
wrote in
::

Sorry for just cutting and pasteing the FARs...

Why?
Old March 1st 05, 04:19 PM
Jim Burns

....and why I just quoted the regs

oups.com...

Old March 1st 05, 04:22 PM
Bob Moore

"Jay Honeck" wrote

What are the rules nowadays for getting your CFI? Is a commercial
rating required before you can become a CFI? I imagine it is, since
you're "flying for hire"...?

Come-on Jay, I thought that you were an English Major.
It's a "commercial certificate", not rating, and CFIs
don't "fly for hire", they "instruct for hire". :-)

Bob Moore
Old March 1st 05, 04:47 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Bob Moore" wrote in message
. 121...
"Jay Honeck" wrote

What are the rules nowadays for getting your CFI? Is a commercial
rating required before you can become a CFI? I imagine it is, since
you're "flying for hire"...?

Come-on Jay, I thought that you were an English Major.
It's a "commercial certificate", not rating, and CFIs
don't "fly for hire", they "instruct for hire". :-)

Bob Moore

True enough , but doesn't "for hire" carry the implication that some actual
money must change hands? :-)))
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot; CFI; Retired
dhenriquestrashatearthlinktrashdotnet
(take out the trash :-)

Old March 1st 05, 04:54 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
link.net...

True enough , but doesn't "for hire" carry the implication that some
actual money must change hands? :-)))

I think bartering would still be considered for hire. But if I instruct my
son in my own airplane and receive nothing in return but the joy of sharing
something I love with my child it is definitely not "for hire".

Old March 1st 05, 05:09 PM
Bravo8500

You can get paid all you want instructing, and don't even have to have
a medical unless you are acting as PIC, then only a 3rd class. You not
acting as a commercial pilot instructing, even though the regs say you
need it for the exam.