True Cost of Owning an Old Bonanza

Old April 24th 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default True Cost of Owning an Old Bonanza

Hello,

I'm interested in hearing from people who have 'real' first-hand
knowledge of the true costs of owning an older (early 50s) V-tail
Bonanza. I've heard all the horror stories about the outrageous costs;
but the thing is that I heard the same stories before I bought my
*last* plane (a 1963 Beech Musketeer). The Musketeer turned out to be
much cheaper to own and operate than most people told me to expect.

A buddy of mine is looking at buying an older (but very well cared-for)

C-35, and I'm considering buying in. Obviously we'd have a VERY
thorough pre-buy done by a good Bone mechanic. But I'd really be
interested in hearing some info from owners who have been through
owning these old birds for a while. Insurance isn't a problem (I'm a
CFI, and he's 2000+ with a ton of IFR time), and we're both already
quite familiar with the ups and downs of owning a plane; but we've
never owned anything complex before. This would be my second plane, and

his third. Old birds don't scare me, if they are take care of...but is
an old Bone *really* a different animal? If so, why?

So...any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Cap

Old April 24th 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

wrote:

I'm interested in hearing from people who have 'real' first-hand
knowledge of the true costs of owning an older (early 50s) V-tail
Bonanza.

Guess that describes me. Have owned a '49 A35 now for 12 years.

I've heard all the horror stories about the outrageous costs;

The stories are true. It just depends upon what you need. For
the early planes, parts are for the most part not available new
unless they happen to fit a later model as well.

The pre-G model planes all came with Continental E series engines
which were only used in the Bonanza, some Navions and maybe the
odd Stinson. The engine is an orphan now. I was able to get
cyliners 10 years ago, but that may not be the case now. Its the
rare shop though that can do a proper overhaul of one properly.

Also watch the prop. The Beech electric prop is the best for
performer for the plane (especially with 88" blades) and it has
no ADs on it. Unfortunately, it has parts that just are not
available (pitch change bearings, especially). The other choice
is a couple of flavors of Hartzels. Depending on the exact
model it may be very AD ridden.

The upside is that the airframe (if rust free) is very robust.
When things are working, they tend to stay working.

Obviously we'd have a VERY
thorough pre-buy done by a good Bone mechanic.

Probably should be extra careful about this. These planes are
older than most of the people working on them. What works on
a mid 80's model 36 does not work on a mid-50s model 35.

his third. Old birds don't scare me, if they are take care of...but is
an old Bone *really* a different animal? If so, why?

Probably a little different. Think about what other high performance GA
planes were flying in the early '50s. The Bonanza, the Navion and what?
Its a pretty small list.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old April 24th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

wrote:
[...]

If you subscribe to Aviation Consumer you can go to their online
archives and read reviews of several models, including one titiled
"Bonanza: The trouble with old Bo's", which is mainly about tail
flutter and maint. costs.

just fyi...

Old April 24th 06, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I've been pondering the question. I'd like to get something that's
better for traveling than my citabria and an older Bo or older Mooney
that's been well maintained seems like a good choice. Insurance isn't
as bad as I thought it would be. I joined the American bonanza
society, ABS, www.bonanza.org. They have a ton of information on their
website. They're monthly magazine has some good information also. One
thing that's not clear to me is the latest Raytheon SB regarding the
carry through inspections. It seems to be a pretty onerous problem.
I'm not sure but I think G models and older are exempt. You can read
about that on their website.
Dave

Old April 24th 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Few can competently work on them.

So one requirement would be that YOU take all ownership
of mainenance... that is YOU need to be the expert. There
are plenty of resources to allow YOU to become that expert.

Stutzman is an example of one of those resources. Lew Gage's
articles in the ABS magazine are must reading. If you don't just
devour them, you aren't a candidate for this.

YOU must be willing to do this. If YOU don't, you may find it an
unplesant experience. You can't just "take it in!"

Most old ones need a LOT of defered items corrected. Be
careful.

If they are nice, it doesn't a lot to keep them that way and
they are splendid airplanes. And they will run on car gas!

Bill Hale BPPP

Old April 25th 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I've owned a D35 for 11 years and it's been great.
As any older aircraft, if I had to pay somebody to work on it, I
couldn't afford it.

If you find one that's up to snuff, it can be a fairly light maintenance
aircraft. But as with any aircraft there are going to be some gotchas
along the way.
Again as others have said, get a good pre-buy.

The E225 is a pretty good reliable powerplant. It's much the same as the
early O-470's.

The propeller is a rarity. I'd get an electric prop before the hydraulic
conversion.

Can't beat the performance per dollar. It's comfortable and if you can
get the right fuel tank options, it can go a long way between fuel stops.

I flew a 2500 mile trip last summer and averaged 9.4 gph on autofuel. I
have 80 gallons.

It's easy to fly, but having an autopilot during instrument conditions
makes life easier.

Hope this helps

Dave

Frank Stutzman wrote:
wrote:

Few can competently work on them.

So one requirement would be that YOU take all ownership
of mainenance... that is YOU need to be the expert. There
are plenty of resources to allow YOU to become that expert.

Stutzman is an example of one of those resources. Lew Gage's
articles in the ABS magazine are must reading. If you don't just
devour them, you aren't a candidate for this.

Huh? You talking about me, Bill?

I'm just a guy who happens to own one of these old planes. Keep
pouring the money into it because I'm too dumb to unload it
and get something newer. I like to think that I know something
about my particular plane, but I'm hardly an expert on the early
Bonanza models in general. Am certainly not in the same class
as Lew Gage.

You are certainly correct with your point about the owner taking
charge of the maintenance on these early Bonanzas.