An actual post related to flying

Old March 3rd 07, 12:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_4_]

Default An actual post related to flying

We're still in the throes of winter here in Wisconsin- low ceilings, ice,
snow encrusted taxiways and ramps. One plane is gone for a month for an
avionics upgrade, while the other sits waiting for the return of the prop.
No flying for a while. Perhaps I'll organize my tools.

So, how about a new poll- how many screwdrivers does the average airplane
owner own?

Who makes the best screwdrivers?

What's your personal favorite tool? (Mine is the Snap on ratchet screw
driver. It has a great action and feel, and in fact we use their same
mechanism in the operating room for placing bone screws)

So, back to aviation- let's hear your responses!

Old March 3rd 07, 01:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Viperdoc" wrote:

So, how about a new poll- how many screwdrivers does the average airplane
owner own?

hmmm, lessee:

Cordless screwdriver
set of 8 small jeweler screwdrivers
3 stubbies
at least 8 other screwdrivers of varying sizes.

not counting drywall driver bits, etc.

Who makes the best screwdrivers?

Not a clue

What's your personal favorite tool?

small pancake compressor

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old March 3rd 07, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc

I have concerns about using an electric screwdriver on my plane- don't they
chew up the heads?

Have you ever skated across the paint with an electric?

Old March 3rd 07, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tony

You don't want to get confused about what you're working on, though.
Just because it's a Snap On tool in your hand doesn't mean it's a
manifold, and that's a suture, not a safety wire.

I had an odd thought about your home office -- sectionals, and frozen
sections. pacemaker leads tangled with sparkplug ones. Eclectic
interests lead to interesting bookshelves -- on mine, IRB Polices is
next to the Handbook of Chemistry and Physics. Nearby is the DSM IV..

As for my most effective tool? I'm sorry to say it's a four letter
word -- Visa. The little screwdriver on my keychain has come in handy
aloft, however, refastening knobs that somehow became disconnected
(speaking of safetywire, or Grip Tight).

The crank shaft bone is connected to the piston rod bone. . .

Old March 3rd 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Viperdoc" wrote in message
I have concerns about using an electric screwdriver on my plane- don't they
chew up the heads?

Have you ever skated across the paint with an electric?

I don't know if you have the options of choosing the type of heads on the
screws you are using, but for my money you can't beat torx and square socket
screws.

THEY don't let bits jump out, or cam out.

I have come to despise Phillips head screws, and I won't even talk about
straight slots! g
--
Jim in NC

Old March 3rd 07, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

:
: So, how about a new poll- how many screwdrivers does the average airplane
: owner own?
:
: Who makes the best screwdrivers?
:
: What's your personal favorite tool? (Mine is the Snap on ratchet screw
: driver. It has a great action and feel, and in fact we use their same
: mechanism in the operating room for placing bone screws)
:
: So, back to aviation- let's hear your responses!
:
:

Hmmm, do you want to include the replacement tips for the Makita? There must be thirty some screwdrivers around this
place. I really like the Craftsman Professionals; they seem to grab on real well to the stubborn screws and the tips
seem to last well...

Dan D.

Old March 3rd 07, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

So, back to aviation- let's hear your responses!

My favorite tool, above all else, is...my pocket Leatherman. The kind
that attaches to your keys.

This danged little tool, by virtue of being handy, has risen above all
others, beyond my $1500 Jet planer and my wonderfully versatile
cordless drill(s).

It doesn't do any one thing particularly well, but I find myself using
it all day long at the hotel, tightening door knob screws, scraping
paint off carpet, jimmying stuck drawers -- it's remarkable. I
actually bought Mary one, and she uses hers every day, too.

It's the best $25 I've ever spent.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 3rd 07, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Morgans" said:
I don't know if you have the options of choosing the type of heads on the
screws you are using, but for my money you can't beat torx and square socket
screws.

THEY don't let bits jump out, or cam out.

Do Americans "do" Robertson screws? Back when I was a college student,
one of my buddies did his work term at SPAR Aerospace, and they sent an
engineering sample or ground simulator of the Canadarm down to NASA, and
got an urgent call to send down screwdrivers that fit these funny square
socket screws.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
It's the _target_ that supposed to go "F00F", not the processor.
Old March 3rd 07, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim B

I have a Craftsman screwdriver with a reversible shaft which has reversible
bits in each end of the shaft. So I've got both #1 and #2 Phillips and #1
and #2 straight, all in one screwdriver. It was my favorite tool until the
#2 Phillips bit broke.

Best screwdrivers? Snap-On. Not for the name but for the bit and the
comfortable handle. The have bits that are both hard and tough.

Electric? We've got an Aztec. The stainless steel screw kits have over
1500 screws. You're darn right I use an electric. I just set the clutch
down to #1 or 2 and use low speed, then hand tighten. I'm not afraid to
toss out old bits and buy new, they are cheap. I try to get the ones with
the variegated faces for extra griping power. If they don't loosen with a
low clutch setting, I loosen by hand, rather than twisting the head off the
screw.

Jim
(still looking for a portable tool box that is compact yet large enough)

Old March 3rd 07, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Jay Honeck" said:
So, back to aviation- let's hear your responses!

My favorite tool, above all else, is...my pocket Leatherman. The kind
that attaches to your keys.

This danged little tool, by virtue of being handy, has risen above all
others, beyond my $1500 Jet planer and my wonderfully versatile
cordless drill(s).

I find the screwdriver on the end of the fuel sampler gets the most actual
work. It's very handy to tighten up access panels while pre-flighting.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
"Almost any animal is capable of learning a stimulus/response association,