How about worst looking airliner?

Old December 21st 03, 04:53 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"L Smith" wrote in message
ink.net...

The L-1011 may have looked "right", but I imagine the arrangement on
the DC 10 was more efficient. Didn't have to go bending the airflow this
way and that just to get it to the engine.

Yes, but this discussion is all about looks. As for inefficiency of the S
duct, I think you'd have to consider the efficiency of the installation as a
whole. How did putting the thrust line that high affect it?

Old December 21st 03, 11:07 PM
Mike O'Malley

"Andrew Burke" wrote in message
Of the current crop, I'd say the Beech 1900D. Nose wheel RIGHT at the nose,
the cockpit looks like it's from another plane, as does the passenger door,
all those appendages around the tail...

What about the Shorts 330? Throw some sailplane wings on a shipping crate, then
stick a couple of barn doors out on the tail, and you've got one uckn fugly
airplane. I of course, would be more than willing to fly one, if someone else
were to pay the bills.

The Dornier 228 isn't much to look at, the nose looks like it got caught in the
hanger door and pulled out. And then there's the Do. 28 with the motors just
kind of tacked onto the landing gear like an afterthought. Or the Do. 27, where
it looks like they glued the wing on top as an afterthought.

I know I'm getting away from airliners, but the PZL 104 is a perfect example of
form following function. Don't know what kind of short field performance it
had, but the Helio Courrier was probibly comperable, but looked a helluva lot
nicer.

--
Mike

Old December 22nd 03, 08:48 AM
Steve

Mike O'Malley wrote:
"Andrew Burke" wrote in message

Of the current crop, I'd say the Beech 1900D. Nose wheel RIGHT at the nose,
the cockpit looks like it's from another plane, as does the passenger door,
all those appendages around the tail...

What about the Shorts 330? Throw some sailplane wings on a shipping crate, then
stick a couple of barn doors out on the tail, and you've got one uckn fugly
airplane. I of course, would be more than willing to fly one, if someone else
were to pay the bills.

I took a flight from Gatwick on a Shorts thingy (might have been a 360).
While waiting on board for the flight crew to arrive, I noticed some
fluid dripping from the left engine nacelle. I pointed this out to our
stew and her bored reply was, "Oh yeah, it always does that". We were
then told that the truck hadn't arrived with the hot water for
beverages, so we were asked to vote whether to wait or to go without and
be content with alcoholic drinks. Given that we were all journalists,
guess what we decided...

When the captain boarded, I noted that he had bottle-thick glasses
(makes me wonder if he was flying on a Class 2 medical in those days)
and had trouble closing the sliding door to the flight deck. He then
introduced himself as ... wait for it ... Captain Hazard. I kid you not.

Old December 23rd 03, 05:00 PM
CASK829

Congrats. This is in the running for the biggest BS story I have heard in a
long while. Keep it up I need the laughs.

Old December 24th 03, 10:17 AM
Steve

CASK829 wrote:
Congrats. This is in the running for the biggest BS story I have heard in a
long while. Keep it up I need the laughs.

Except it happens to be true. Of course, if you care not to believe,
there's no reason why I should give a **** about that.

Old December 30th 03, 11:11 PM
Geoff Miller

Ron Natalie writes:

For the big boys, the DC-10/MD-11 Engine #2 really looked
like a wart compared to the L-1011 configuration.

I've always thought the DC-10/MD-11 #2 engine placement resembled
something that a kid might've drawn. And the plane's windshield
design makes it look like it's perpetually squinting. Despite
their similarities, I always thoughteved that the Tristar was the
better looking aircraft. Too bad I never had the opportunity to
fly on one...

Geoff

--
"While everyone was delighted that P.J. had finally spoken
his first words, 'Give me back my zweiback, cock-gobbler'
Old December 30th 03, 11:27 PM
Geoff Miller

Steven P. McNicoll writes:

[ L-1011 vs. DC-10 #2 engine placement ]

It wasn't a matter of not having room for the boom operator,
it was the effect on the receiving aircraft.

The RAF has used Tristar tankers for years. They use the
U.S. Navy-style probe and drogue refueling system, which,
if I remember correctly, appears to place receiving aircraft
at least as close to the #2 engine exhaust stream as the boom
system would've.

Geoff

Old December 31st 03, 10:01 PM
Dave

"Geoff Miller" wrote in message

Steven P. McNicoll writes:

[ L-1011 vs. DC-10 #2 engine placement ]

It wasn't a matter of not having room for the boom operator,
it was the effect on the receiving aircraft.

The RAF has used Tristar tankers for years. They use the
U.S. Navy-style probe and drogue refueling system, which,
if I remember correctly, appears to place receiving aircraft
at least as close to the #2 engine exhaust stream as the boom
system would've.

B777 - bland boring unimaginative and just dull.

Old January 1st 04, 01:17 AM
Vern

"Dave" wrote in
:

B777 - bland boring unimaginative and just dull.

Still better looking than the A320 series though... they look like a flying
math equation. I remember a time when the pointy end of a jetliner used to
be put on the front.

Old January 2nd 04, 11:13 PM
Geoff Miller

Dave writes:

B777 - bland boring unimaginative and just dull.

That's true of most airliners nowadays. Everything
looks generic, with two engines either under the
wings or stuck onto the aft fuselage. I never
thought I'd consider the once-ubiquitous 727 to be
exotic. but as far as design and appearance are
concerned, it certainly is by today's standards.

Geoff

--
"When a woman behaves like a man, why doesn't
she behave like a _nice_ man?" -- Edith Evans