Question about Rear Admiral, lower half

Old September 28th 03, 03:35 PM
Pechs1

Default Question about Rear Admiral, lower half

Shows ya all how long since I retired. Does O-8, Rear Adm., lower half, wear
one star or two?

When did they stop calling same pay grade 'Commodore'? I know they did for a
while.

Do Commanders of small-ish groups of ships, smaller than a CVBG, are they still
refered to as 'Commodore'?? Even if they are O-7s?

Thanks in advance-
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old September 28th 03, 03:48 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Pechs1" wrote in message

Shows ya all how long since I retired. Does O-8, Rear Adm., lower half,

wear
one star or two?

O-8 would be upper half, two stars. O-7 is lower half, one star.

Old September 28th 03, 03:55 PM
Thomas Schoene

"Pechs1" wrote in message

Shows ya all how long since I retired. Does O-8, Rear Adm., lower
half, wear one star or two?

Lower half is O-7, not O-8 (I think you knew this, from below, but I just
wanted to make sure).

They wear one star.

When did they stop calling same pay grade 'Commodore'? I know they
did for a while.

It was Commodore Admiral in 1981-82 and just plain Commodore in 1982-85.

Do Commanders of small-ish groups of ships, smaller than a CVBG, are
they still refered to as 'Commodore'?? Even if they are O-7s?

No, an O-7 would be "admiral." "Commodore" is just a courtesy title for
captains (and very rarely lower ranks).

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Old September 28th 03, 04:36 PM
Robert Moore

(Pechs1) wrote

Shows ya all how long since I retired. Does O-8, Rear Adm.,
lower half, wear one star or two?

When did they stop calling same pay grade 'Commodore'? I know
they did for a while.

From the following web page:

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_rank

The one-star rank appeared again in 1982 with the title of
"Commodore Admiral." The rank became simply "Commodore" the
next year, and went back to rear admiral (lower half) in 1985.
At that time it was mandated that rear admirals (lower half)
would wear only one star, as the two stars authorized previously
caused some resentment among US Army and US Air Force brigadier
generals.

Bob Moore
Old September 28th 03, 05:09 PM
Ogden Johnson III

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"Pechs1" wrote in message

Shows ya all how long since I retired. Does O-8, Rear Adm., lower half, wear
one star or two?

O-8 would be upper half, two stars. O-7 is lower half, one star.

Which still, sort of, begs the thrust of Pech1's question. If a Rear
Admiral [O-7] retired when Rear Admirals of the lower half still wore
two stars, would they wear two stars when in uniform now, or do
regulations prescribe [actually, I assume they do - but remember the
old saw] they wear the current uniform of a Rear Admiral [Lower Half],
and thus one star?
--
OJ III
[Email to Yahoo addy burned before reading.
Old September 28th 03, 05:14 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Ogden Johnson III" wrote in message

Which still, sort of, begs the thrust of Pech1's question. If a Rear
Admiral [O-7] retired when Rear Admirals of the lower half still wore
two stars, would they wear two stars when in uniform now, or do
regulations prescribe [actually, I assume they do - but remember the
old saw] they wear the current uniform of a Rear Admiral [Lower Half],
and thus one star?

Pechs1's question was asked in the present tense, and did not contain the
word "retired".

Old September 28th 03, 06:16 PM
Ogden Johnson III

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"Ogden Johnson III" wrote in message

Which still, sort of, begs the thrust of Pech1's question. If a Rear
Admiral [O-7] retired when Rear Admirals of the lower half still wore
two stars, would they wear two stars when in uniform now, or do
regulations prescribe [actually, I assume they do - but remember the
old saw] they wear the current uniform of a Rear Admiral [Lower Half],
and thus one star?

Pechs1's question was asked in the present tense, and did not contain the
word "retired".

Note to self. Don't try to watch the NFL pre-game shows and read/post
to the Usenet at the same time. Therein lies the potential for great
error and embarrassment. Wait until the Redskins game has actually
started and they're blowing it again.
Old September 28th 03, 06:37 PM
John Carrier

Rear Admiral, lower half, is an O-7 (one broad stripe, one star). Rear
Admiral, upper half, is an O-8 (the big JG, two stars). Commodore was in
and out in a hurry. Used to refer to all kinds of O-6 bonus command slots
(Commodore FTG, Commodore TRAWING One, Commodore DESRON 2, etc), then they
tried it on O-7 and the flag guys HATED it (General, Admiral, Commodore?).
We're now back to the old usage of Commodore. Been that way since long
before you retired, Peaches.

R / John

"Pechs1" wrote in message
Shows ya all how long since I retired. Does O-8, Rear Adm., lower half,

wear
one star or two?

When did they stop calling same pay grade 'Commodore'? I know they did for

while.

Do Commanders of small-ish groups of ships, smaller than a CVBG, are they

still
refered to as 'Commodore'?? Even if they are O-7s?

Thanks in advance-
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye

Phlyer

Old September 29th 03, 12:12 AM
Jake Donovan

Commodore is a Title not a rank. (2003) You are correct in O7 RADM Lower and
O8 RADM Upper Half.

Commodore is actually, as a rank, a wartime designation for a one star.
Somewhere along the line, they played around with it and finally went back
to the peace time ranks. If you check with Bupers, you can find the O7
Commodore and O7 RADM Lowerhalf explanations.

JD

PS - But for the life of me, I could never understand the AF / Army Lt Gen
out ranking a Major Gen. LOL ( and before someone tries to explain it to
me, I KNOW that a Lt Gen is 3 stars and a Major Gen is 2 stars. As it is the
same in the Marines)

Old September 29th 03, 12:49 AM
Red

"Jake Donovan" wrote in message

SNIP SNIP SNIP SNIP!
PS - But for the life of me, I could never understand the AF / Army Lt Gen
out ranking a Major Gen. LOL ( and before someone tries to explain it to
me, I KNOW that a Lt Gen is 3 stars and a Major Gen is 2 stars. As it is

the
same in the Marines)

Many, many years ago I heard an explanation for this. As best I recall they
said Lt Gen was a rank in the regular army. The mounted (calvary) army
decided to be different and call their general of the same pay grade a
MajGen. Of course it wasn't long before they were trying to convince
everyone that MajGen out ranked Lt.Gen. The regular army didn't buy it.

Your fables may vary.

Red