Flying into West Yellowstone airport (WYS)

Old August 10th 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
M[_1_]

Default Flying into West Yellowstone airport (WYS)

We're planning to fly into West Yellowstone airport (WYS) in a Grumman
AA-5 Traveler with stock engine. The landing and takeoff will be about
200lb under gross and we plan to take off in early morning. Densitiy
altitude is of course a major concern.

Has anyone flown to that airport in similar non TC, fix-pitch
4-seaters? What's the terrain like near the airport? Any room for
climb-out?

Thanks!

Old August 10th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Newps

M wrote:
We're planning to fly into West Yellowstone airport (WYS) in a Grumman
AA-5 Traveler with stock engine. The landing and takeoff will be about
200lb under gross and we plan to take off in early morning. Densitiy
altitude is of course a major concern.

Has anyone flown to that airport in similar non TC, fix-pitch
4-seaters?

Yep, you'll have no problem.

What's the terrain like near the airport?

Wide open. Big wide valleys. Doesn't really qualify as mountain flying.

Any room for
climb-out?

More than you could ever use.
Old August 10th 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

Out of curiosity I plugged WYS into airnav to get Lat/Long, then put
that loc into Google earth (4.0)- and "flew" the approach-seemingly
useful info. All free and I've made a mental note to do this, (as well
as ask for Pireps) for travel to unfamiliar places.

Good luck.

Andy

Old August 10th 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

The tip would be: Vy or die.

When the horsepower is low, speed is everything.

Stay in ground effect until reaching Vy--in the comfort
of the runway environment.

Then when you begin to climb, you will have confidence
that squirrely winds, etc will not eat you up.

If you are slow, below Vy, trying to gain speed AND
climb all at once, the flight is in doubt. Never give up
Vy.

Bill Hale BPPP instructor Loveland CO

Old August 11th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
John Galban

M wrote:
We're planning to fly into West Yellowstone airport (WYS) in a Grumman
AA-5 Traveler with stock engine. The landing and takeoff will be about
200lb under gross and we plan to take off in early morning. Densitiy
altitude is of course a major concern.

Has anyone flown to that airport in similar non TC, fix-pitch
4-seaters? What's the terrain like near the airport? Any room for
climb-out?

I just got back from a few days of camping at WYS a few weeks ago.
WYS should be a piece of cake for you. The runway is very long and
there are no obstructions until you get to the trees, which will be
2plus miles away from where you start the takeoff roll.

Just remember to lean appropriately and you should have ample climb.
If you don't get enough climb rate to cross your intended ridge or
mountain, just make a few circles until you have the altitude. Not a
problem in that huge valley.

If you're going to camp out on the field, I've got some info on
website :

http://members.cox.net/jgalban/id29.htm

Tell the folks at the FBO that John from Phoenix says Hi.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old August 11th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

I don't know your aircraft, but my C172, 180hp, has no problem there
with 2 people, baggage and full fuel. It is in a large wide valley with
a whole lot of room to climb. I agree with newps, it really isn't what
I'd call mountain flying.

Old August 11th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Bob Gardner

Keeping in mind that Vy decreases as density altitude increases...IOW, don't
use the book Vy.

Bob Gardner

oups.com...

Old August 11th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
john smith

But Vy at altitude is not published. Vy goes down with altitude.

And Vx goes up.
Until the two come together and Vx=Vy.
Old August 11th 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Blanche Cohen

1) Terrain - do you have a sectional? WYS is a bit of a flat area,
almost in a flat pocket (elevation 6600) with a ring of 8K hills about
10-20 nm away in any direction.

2) Are you familiar with the peculiarities of high-altitude, high-density
flying?

3) TFRs at Jackson Hole -- Cheney's there most of August. Be aware.