GPSNAV problems

Old July 18th 08, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun McLaughlin

Default GPSNAV problems

I have a problem with my GPSNAV (model 20 I believe, with the external
antenna). The GPSNAV output to the screen works fine, directs me to the
waypoints etc. This shows that the GPS engine is working.

However, the output to the PDA via the serial port, and the Datacom output
to the L-Nav seems to be doing nothing. The cables are definitely OK.

I am unable to find a .cai trace on the logger after a flight, output to
the PDA is hugely intermittant- it works for a few seconds at most over a
whole flight. The L-Nav reads GPS (Wait).

Has anyone else experienced similar problems? Dickie Feakes, the UK dealer
seems to think it could be in the contact pins, but it seems odd as it is
experiencing issues with NMEA output on 2 different connector types.

The logger was overhauled with all internal parts (except the power board)
replaced roughly 3 years ago.

Any ideas on how to fix it?
I am UK based.

Cheers,
Shaun
Old July 18th 08, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

If you inadvertently put a 4-pin plug into a 6-pin hole, you will bend
the outside pins in the 6-pin hole and it wont send NMEA to your
computer. Guess how I know this to be true?
JJ

Old July 18th 08, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote:

[...]

Shaun- Hide quoted text -

From my experience with GPS-NAV, I would check the following -
1. Make sure ActiveSync on your PDA is turned off, or disabled
[prevent automatic communication through serial port whenever the
device is connected],
2. Unplug and re-connect the data cable on the GPS to verify good
contact.

Robert, OR
Old July 18th 08, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sarah Anderson[_2_]

JJ Sinclair wrote:
If you inadvertently put a 4-pin plug into a 6-pin hole, you will bend
the outside pins in the 6-pin hole and it wont send NMEA to your
computer. Guess how I know this to be true?
JJ

Read about it on the intertubes?

It's not a real bad electrical mistake unless you can't use the electronics anymore afterwards.

Sarah
Old July 18th 08, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Hoffman[_2_]

Shaun McLaughlin wrote:
I have a problem with my GPSNAV (model 20 I believe, with the external
antenna). The GPSNAV output to the screen works fine, directs me to the
waypoints etc. This shows that the GPS engine is working.

However, the output to the PDA via the serial port, and the Datacom output
to the L-Nav seems to be doing nothing. The cables are definitely OK.

I am unable to find a .cai trace on the logger after a flight, output to
the PDA is hugely intermittant- it works for a few seconds at most over a
whole flight. The L-Nav reads GPS (Wait).

Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

I have has *exactly* the same problem with my LNAV-GPS20 setup. I
finally gave up and bought a Garmin Vista GPS to run my PDA. I would be
very interested in any solutions to this problem. I know the GPS20 is
internally working fine because on its readout all information is
correct. I just can't get a signal from the GPS20 DB9 output to run my PDA.

-Doug
Old July 19th 08, 07:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Wyld[_2_]

At 21:29 18 July 2008, Doug Hoffman wrote:
Shaun McLaughlin wrote:
[...]

Shouldn't you be looking for the NMEA datastream on the 6way
'telephone' socket, not the DB9 serial port?

If you have the GPS20 connected to the LNAV via this port, you can take a
tap from it to run the PDA.

Old July 19th 08, 01:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun McLaughlin

Shaun McLaughlin wrote:
[...]

Hi Peter- I guess you could split the cable- In my case, I use the Serial
port for the PDA, also for downloading traces via connectMe etc.

JJ- how easy is it to check and re-allign the pins if needed?

It just seems odd that both of the ways to output the NMEA stream have
problems at exactly the same time... But the NavScreen still directs me to
the TP

Cheers,
Shaun
Old July 19th 08, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian Reekie

Shaun McLaughlin wrote:
[...]

I seem to remember from configuring my Cambridge GPS model 25 that the
NMEA data on the 6 way port is a subset of the NMEA data available via the
DB9 connector. If you examine the data stream output, it is missing
certain important NMEA sentences inc GPS altitude.(which is not required
by a LNAV, but is required by PDA programs)
The DB9 connector is the correct one to use when connecting to a PDA, but
the PDA program has to first send a "NMEA" command to the GPS to send
out data on this port. This occurs when when PDA software eg Seeyou mobile
starts up.
The DB9 connector is also required if you wish to upload tasks and
download logs.

With regards to your NMEA problems from the Cambridge, does this occur
without a PDA connected ?

Rgds
Ian

Old July 19th 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Hoffman[_2_]

Peter Wyld wrote:

Shouldn't you be looking for the NMEA datastream on the 6way
'telephone' socket, not the DB9 serial port?

If you have the GPS20 connected to the LNAV via this port, you can take a
tap from it to run the PDA.

I called Cambridge tech support in July 2007. Talked with someone named
Gary. He said emphatically that I should *not* use the 6-way Datacom
port and that I should use the DB9 for a PDA. He also gave me the DB9
pin#s that I should use. It did not work. However, the DB9 works just
fine for uploading/downloading files from my PC to/from the GPSNav-20.

Regards,

-Doug

Old July 20th 08, 06:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian Reekie

At 22:15 19 July 2008, Doug Hoffman wrote:
Peter Wyld wrote:

Shouldn't you be looking for the NMEA datastream on the 6way
'telephone' socket, not the DB9 serial port?

If you have the GPS20 connected to the LNAV via this port, you can

take
tap from it to run the PDA.

I called Cambridge tech support in July 2007. Talked with someone named

Gary. He said emphatically that I should *not* use the 6-way Datacom
port and that I should use the DB9 for a PDA. He also gave me the DB9
pin#s that I should use. It did not work. However, the DB9 works just
fine for uploading/downloading files from my PC to/from the GPSNav-20.

Regards,

-Doug

The DB9 port is the correct port for a PDA as it can provide File
communications and also output full NMEA data, but only if requested by
the PDA.
To output NMEA the PDA has to first send the initialisation command word
"NMEA" to the DB9 port. Therefore the PDA software has to have been
written to specifically support the GPSNAV and have a GPSNAV connection
mode.
In for example Seeyou Mobile when you set the Hardware setting to GPSNAV,
Seeyou Mobile sends this command to the GPSNAV at startup and the NMEA
stream commences.
Almost certainly the reason you could not get your PDA Software working on
the DB9 port was either;
1)The PDA software does not specifically support the GPSNAV, and does not
send the NMEA command word at startup.
2) You have not set the software to be configured for a GPSNAV.
3) You connect/start up your Cambridge and PDA in an order that does not
allow the GPSNAV to receive the NMEA initialisation command. Eg Start the
PDA program first then power on the GPSNAV or start the PDA software then
plug it into the cradle.

Hope this helps
Ian

LNav, GpsNav 20 For Sale Jim[_18_] Soaring 1 February 13th 08 01:25 PM
FS GPSNAV 10 with DIsplay hans Soaring 0 January 25th 07 12:24 AM
GPS Problems near CHD.. Dan Piloting 7 August 7th 06 10:46 PM
Will Cambridge GPSNAV score in 2k6 OLC? Stewart Kissel Soaring 1 October 30th 05 05:52 PM
FS Cambridge LNAV/GPSNAV system scooter Soaring 0 March 12th 05 11:08 PM