Duo Discus Tech note

Old August 4th 03, 08:17 PM
Thomas Knauff

Default Duo Discus Tech note

Schempp-Hirth has issued a tech note 396-8 for Duo Discus serial numbers 165
through 389, and Duo Discus T serial numbers 1 through 78.

These Duo Discus must not be flown until the inspection and repair (if
necessary) is accomplished.

Further details of these tech notes can be found on their web site.

http://www.schempp-hirth.com

or, we can email you copies of the tech note.

Essentially, the bond between the spar and skin of the glider must be
inspected for voids.

The inspection will take 3 to 5 hours.

We are contacting USA repair shops to find out if they have the necessary
tools for the inspection and repair. Please call or email us with your
questions.

Tom Knauff
Knauff & Grove Soaring Supplies
(814) 355 2483
fax (814) 355 2633

Old August 5th 03, 04:52 AM
Caracole

Schempp-Hirth has issued a tech note 396-8 for Duo Discus serial numbers 165
through 389, and Duo Discus T serial numbers 1 through 78.

These Duo Discus must not be flown until the inspection and repair (if
necessary) is accomplished.

Tom Knauff

Neither the LBA nor the manufacturer has the authority to ground
gliders operating with
U.S. Standard Airwothiness Certificates. As of today, the FAA has not
issued an
AD requiring compliance with the Spar inspection technical note issued
by
Schempp-Hirth on the Duo Discus. There is every likelihood that the
FAA
will issue an AD regarding this.

However the factory's own web page states that,
"For security reasons a larger number of Duo Discus and Duo Discus T
have been grounded, as the exact serial numbers of potentially
affected gliders could not be determined in the short time given."

We may find that the FAA pushes the factory to determine the exact
serial numbers of potentially affected gliders, so that a more
accurate set of glider serial numbers can be included in any U.S. AD.

So for now at least, for U.S. owners, compliance with the inspection
is at their own discretion.

Interestingly, someone said to me the other day that if the potential
for faulty construction goes back at least 5 years with the DUO and it
includes CS DUOs manufactured in a different country, maybe the LBA
should consider requiring inspections on other Schempp-Hirth models as
well?

I would think that the factory would at least put up a page on their
Web site so that the DUO owners can see what the statistical results
of the inspections are as this debacle unfolds.

In the meantime, maybe the DUO owners can post to the news group with
the results of their gliders inspection and the degree of repairs
required. I'm sure the DUO owners would greatly appreciate the
information.

M Eiler
Old August 5th 03, 07:37 AM
Bruce Greeff

While it is correct that only the local Aviation Authority has the power
to ground aircraft it would be extremely unwise to ignore a safety
warning from the manufacturer.

The tech note and advice from Schemmp Hirth was correctly represented -
the factory say these aircraft must not be flown until inspected. If you
are affected by a factory defect, you might get some credit when it
comes to repair. If you (or your bereaved spouse) are the proud owner of
a pile of composite confetti, you may find the factory and your
insurance company less helpful.

Old August 5th 03, 08:02 AM
Bert Willing

Legally quite true, I guess.

However, if a manufacturer comes forward and says that serial no's x to y
are potentially not airworthy, common sense requires those aircrafts to be
grounded even if local authorities are not up to the news.

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 "TW"

om...

Old August 5th 03, 03:33 PM
Bob Mowry

Anyone see a first person account of the accident? It sounds like it
might be some good reading. I wonder exactly how the pilots were able
to regain control after the failure?

I'm assuming the accident occurred in Germany. Is there a German
equivalent to www.ntsb.gov where we can read about the accident
report?

-bob
Old August 5th 03, 12:07 PM
Mark Stevens

And of course although quick, a posting on RAS or an
update on a manufacturers web site does not mean that
everyone affected will find out...

At 07:42 05 August 2003, Bert Willing wrote:
Legally quite true, I guess.

However, if a manufacturer comes forward and says that
serial no's x to y
are potentially not airworthy, common sense requires
those aircrafts to be
grounded even if local authorities are not up to the
news.

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 'TW'

. com...

Old August 5th 03, 04:24 PM
Marc Ramsey

"Mark Stevens" wrote...
And of course although quick, a posting on RAS or an
update on a manufacturers web site does not mean that
everyone affected will find out...

You shouldn't assume those were the only ways those affected were notified. I
received a phone call from Rex Mayes at Williams Soaring Center a full 24 hours
before anything appeared on RAS or the web site. Schempp-Hirth apparently asked
him to contact all Duo owners on the west coast of the US.

BTW, Rex now has an endoscope, and is in the midst of his first inspection...

Marc

Old August 5th 03, 04:00 PM
John Galloway

I spoke to a friend and Duo owner today who visited
Southern Sailplanes (the UK agents and repairers) yesterday
where 3 Duos were examined using a small video camera
on a long pole. Apparently the inspections could be
done in 'about 10 minutes' per wing without inspection
holes being drilled in the wing skins.

He tells me that 2 Duos passed and one newish Duo failed.

John Galloway

Old August 5th 03, 05:22 PM
Markus Feyerabend

Hi Bob,that would be www.bfu-web.de, which is the web page
of the 'investigation office for aviation in/accidents'
in germany. But don´t expect any up-to-date information
there, in that respect it is not comparable to the
NTSB web page...Best regards,MarkusAt 15:12 05 August 2003, Bob Mowry wrote:Anyone see a first person account of the accident?

Old August 5th 03, 05:25 PM
Judy Ruprecht

SSA's contact at the FAA's Small Airplane Directorate
reports receiving copies of the Duo Discus TN and German-issued
AD yesterday. These documents and further information
requested of LBA/Schempp Hirth will be reviewed prior
to issuance of a US AD. No estimate on when a US AD
may be issued, but an 'airworthiness concern sheet'
(preliminary to actual AD issuance) is expected this
week.

In terms of what lies ahead, please note that when
a US AD is issued on the basis of a foreign country's
findings, it often adopts the same inspection procedures
and remedies. (So owners who comply with the LBA-issued
AD now stand a good chance of being in compliance with
the US AD whenever it is issued.)

Judy