Uses for a stopwatch

Old April 15th 07, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Default Uses for a stopwatch

How many uses are there for a stopwatch or similar device aboard an aircraft?
I note that a clock with an elapsed-time function is required equipment. The
only time I've had occasion to use it is for holding patterns. What other
uses are there?

Old April 15th 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Ron Natalie

Mxsmanic wrote:
How many uses are there for a stopwatch or similar device aboard an aircraft?
I note that a clock with an elapsed-time function is required equipment. The
only time I've had occasion to use it is for holding patterns. What other
uses are there?

Holding patterns, procedure turns, timing non-precision approaches from
the FAF to determine the missed approach point, partial panel turns
(you make a standard rate turn for what ever amount of degrees of
turn you need, easier than chasing the whisky compass).
Old April 15th 07, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
tom418

Dumping fuel is one reason for a stopwatch to be used.
In a B727, you're dumping fuel at ~ 2400 lbs/minute. So it's best to pay
attention to how long you've been dumping. If you were taking a practical
test for your rating, chances are you departed with an inop generator #3,
and you "lost" engines 1 and two, and returning to land, so you'll be on
your knees cranking down the gear, while looking at that little Wakmann
clock on your S/O panel. Been there, done that, got the T shirt.

Old April 15th 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
ZikZak

On Apr 15, 7:54 am, Mxsmanic wrote:
How many uses are there for a stopwatch or similar device aboard an aircraft?
I note that a clock with an elapsed-time function is required equipment. The
only time I've had occasion to use it is for holding patterns. What other
uses are there?

The most critical use is identifying the missed approach point on a
nonprecision approach.

Old April 16th 07, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
john smith[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote:
How many uses are there for a stopwatch or similar device aboard an
aircraft?

I use one to time the fuel used out of each tank.
Old April 18th 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

How many uses are there for a stopwatch or similar device aboard an
aircraft? I note that a clock with an elapsed-time function is
required equipment.

No it isn't, fjukktard.

Wroing again.

Appartently you can't read as well as not being able to fly.

Bertie
Old April 18th 07, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

"tom418" wrote in
:

Dumping fuel is one reason for a stopwatch to be used.
In a B727, you're dumping fuel at ~ 2400 lbs/minute. So it's best to
pay attention to how long you've been dumping. If you were taking a
practical test for your rating, chances are you departed with an inop
generator #3, and you "lost" engines 1 and two, and returning to land,
so you'll be on your knees cranking down the gear, while looking at
that little Wakmann clock on your S/O panel. Been there, done that,

Uh, if you're doing al that you're probably desperate enough to be
blowing it out to the standpipes anyway..

And it wa built as an FE panel, now manned by S/O's

Bertie