Owning more expensive than renting

Old December 18th 04, 06:10 PM
John Kunkel

"Jon Kraus" wrote in message
Well I have only been an airplane owner for a few months but so far
owning is more expensive than renting. I must say that the convenience
of having your own airplane to go to when ever you want is worth a few
bucks. Has anyone found owning more expensive than renting? :-)

If it flies, floats or f**cks, you're better off renting. ;-)

Old December 18th 04, 07:01 PM
Cecil Chapman

Shhh...... Jon, you are not to post that statement anymore,,,, don't want
my wife to see it grin

'Sides, have to figure out how to stress how 'practical' owning my own plane
will be GRIN wink....

Someday... most definitely!!! :0)

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL-IA
Student - CP-ASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -

bucks. Has anyone found owning more expensive than renting? :-)

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA
Student Mooney Owner

Old December 18th 04, 07:05 PM
Jon Kraus

OK Cecil, I've got it... I won't post it any more... I wondering if my
first instructor had it right when he told me "flyings expensive. I've
found that putting the reciepts in a box and not looking at them works
for me". I think sometimes the old "head in the sand" thing probably
isn't a bad idea... :-)

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA
Student Mooney Owner

Old December 18th 04, 07:07 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Jon Kraus wrote:
Well I have only been an airplane owner for a few months but so far
owning is more expensive than renting.

Absolutely. A big part of the savings for me would have been not flying
the trips I wanted to fly with a rental due to availability! Plus, with
no expectation of being able to go on multi-day trips I probably wouldn't
have gotten my instrument rating.

There's no way it will work out for you over a few months. I think I've
come close to breaking even vs theoretical renting over the last calendar
year. Of course if I follow through on my plans to install new side windows
and a 6-channel egt/cht + fuel flow instrument then I will be in the red
for sure!

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old December 18th 04, 07:08 PM
Jon Kraus

Hey, ya gotta have some bells and whistles too. I've found that I really
like our engine analzer. You will to.

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA
Student Mooney Owner

Old December 18th 04, 07:15 PM
PaulaJay1

In article ,
"Vaughn" writes:

I find walking out to a rental airplane that someone else has already
washed, fueled, fixed, annualed, etc. etc. etc. pretty damn convenient.
There
are two sides to every story.

And perhaps landed HARD and had trouble with one of the instruments and choose
not to say anything.
It's that knowledge of "who landed my plane last" that caused me to buy my
Archer 8 years ago and I have had no regrets though the cost for the 1000 hrs
during that period have cost about $74 per hour on cost alone. BUT I have
added a 430 and a 330 transponder and wingtip lights and secondary air and
maybe some other things that don't come to mind right now. Subtract these
costs and you get about $60 per hour. Not bad for an Archer that is always
waiting for you!

Chuck
Old December 18th 04, 08:12 PM
Richard W. Graves

Doug,

Just one suggestion. Take the log books out of the airplane and keep
them in a safe place. If, God forbid, you were to have an accident that
destroyed the logbooks, that wouldn't be a good thing. You probably would
want them available to the accident investigators and the insurance
company.

Rick Graves
N34759 - 1974 C177B

On Sat, 18 Dec
2004 07:57:26 -0800, Doug wrote:

I carry my aircraft keys in my pocket. My headsets are in the plane,
plugged in. My logbook is in the plane. My charts are right where I
need them, in their special place, in the plane. My sunglasses are
tucked away into their place, in the plane. If I feel like it, I drive
out to the airport, push it out of the hangar and away I fly! I don't
have to ask anyone's permission, sign any forms or any of that rental
stuff. It's about FREEDOM!!!!!

Old December 18th 04, 08:22 PM
C J Campbell

"Jon Kraus" wrote in message
Well I have only been an airplane owner for a few months but so far
owning is more expensive than renting. I must say that the convenience
of having your own airplane to go to when ever you want is worth a few
bucks. Has anyone found owning more expensive than renting? :-)

Of course it is more expensive. You now have to pay for a whole airplane
instead of just a tiny part of it.

Old December 18th 04, 08:45 PM
Roger

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 08:42:47 -0800, "BTIZ"
wrote:

a study at one time showed that the break even point for most light
singles.. was closer to 400 hours per year

That sure sounds high.
Flying 130 hours a year in a Debonair was running me around $79/hour
including ALL costs. That includes an unexpected top.

Adding a 3-blade Hartzell brought the costs up into the $90 range over
about 7 years. So, I've been flying a 260HP, high
performance/complex/retract for about the same as they rent a 172.

However, I have not flown nearly as much the last couple of years
which is rapidly offsetting those savings. Currently it's running a
bit over $110 USD/hr.

Fixed costs per hour get reduce with more hours flown, insurance,
hanger/tiedown, financing (financing also includes cost of $ lost if not
invested elsewhere).

In that case I made/saved a *lot* money by purchasing the Deb as this
was during the Dot Com bust and that cost me far more than the Deb
including the operating costs.

It "all depends" on the amount of maintenance and upgrades as well as
the hours flown. There is no figure set-in-stone but for normal
expenses it's probably going to be in the 100 to 150 hour range. A
good portion of that can come from interest on the financing.

You may, or may not use *potential* investment gains as not everyone
is an active investor. If they are not an investor and have to borrow
the money the investment losses would not count. Besides, counting
investment losses from money you didn't invest is sorta, like, coulda,
shoulda, woulda.... It's imaginary. Just like I made money today
because the market went up. I didn't make or lose a cent
because I didn't sell. There are only two days that mean anything
when you are investing. The day you purchase the stock and the day
you sell the stock. You could have purchased it for a buck, it could
have gone to a 100,000 and back to two bucks on the day you sell. You
made a dollar.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Variable costs, fuel, engine maint fund, oil, replaceable items like tires
etc, does not necessarily vary with additional hours flown.

BT

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Well I have only been an airplane owner for a few months but so far
owning is more expensive than renting. I must say that the convenience of
having your own airplane to go to when ever you want is worth a few
bucks. Has anyone found owning more expensive than renting? :-)

Owning is always more expensive than renting, until you get to a high
number of hours flown annually.

The old "100 hours per year break-even point" is about right -- until you
do a major interior upgrade, or replace a cylinder. Than *poof* --
renting looks mighty fine. I'd bet the "real" break-even point (over
time) is closer to 150 hours per year.

But you're right -- owning is worth every penny.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Owning Update mindenpilot Owning 9 November 23rd 04 02:13 PM
What is missile defense? An expensive fraud Bush needs Poland as a future nuclear battlefield Paul J. Adam Military Aviation 1 August 9th 04 08:29 PM
Buying a plane versus renting RD Owning 35 March 5th 04 09:42 PM
Legality of owning ex-military intercontinental aircraft. Bill Silvey Military Aviation 71 October 15th 03 09:50 PM
renting plane out to flight school - profitable? David Megginson Aviation Marketplace 1 October 13th 03 02:36 AM