Owning in retirement

Old April 26th 08, 07:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Owning in retirement

Robert M. Gary wrote:
On Apr 25, 5:55?pm, wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:

On Apr 25, 3:55?pm, wrote:
Better than 99% of roads are build and maintained by government agencies,
mostly state, with a big portion of the money and standards coming from
the Federal government.
Yes, that's the problem we need to stop. Many states allow some roads
to be built, maintained, and owned by private companies.

Yes, the term for them is "Toll Road".

Since they are private, they don't have to adhere to current standards.

Locally, we just managed to get rid of one of those pieces of crap and
get it under state owenership.

I guess you don't like anything unless you are paying more for it with
the gov't running it. Maybe they'll start making McD's for you. You
can get a $20 Big Mac and feel better about it because it certified by
the US gov't. Think about the line at DMV, that will be the line for
your Big Mac.

Bunch of babbling, irrelevant, nonsense.

Public roads are built and maintained at cost.

Private roads need to show an ROI on the capital construction cost,
plus return a profit higher than the maintenance costs.

In addition, you still get to pay the taxes.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old April 26th 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Fry

"RG" == Robert M Gary writes:

RG You understand. Before we had gov't firefighters in the US we
RG had figher fighter insurance. Private companies would provide
RG fire protection for a fee (less than your taxes). It worked
RG great

Even a simpleton should be able to understand why, in fact, it didn't
work great: house A pays the fee, house B doesn't. B catches fire,
it's allowed to burn, then catching A on fire, which is put out, but
with B completely destroyed and A partly.

Putting out fires, like so many things in civil society, works a lot
better (read: cheaper overall) when everybody is involved, not just
some.

In fact government can and does many things more efficiently than
for-profit private. Here in Sacramento the public utility SMUD has
much cheaper electric rates than the for-profit PG&E.
--
I read about an Eskimo hunter who asked the local missionary priest,
'If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?' 'No,' said
Old April 26th 08, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Fry

"DD" == Drew Dalgleish writes:

DD Hey he's retired . What's the rush to get there? The RV 12
DD will get way better miles per gallon

Not necessarily. It's been demonstrated often that RVs with different
size engines get similar mpg when operated at the same power (hp)
settings. What the bigger engine gets you is a much better reserve for
climb and cruise, if you want to use it.
--
Why can't the ant and the caterpillar just get along? One eats
grass, the other eats Caterpillars... Oh, I see now.
Old May 2nd 08, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Paul kgyy

I retired a couple of years ago, but after an unusually expensive
annual on my Arrow, just decided to work enough part time to cover my
flying cost so the flying wouldn't hit my investment income/social
security.
Old May 12th 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross

Paul kgyy wrote:
I retired a couple of years ago, but after an unusually expensive
annual on my Arrow, just decided to work enough part time to cover my
flying cost so the flying wouldn't hit my investment income/social
security.

I started the post and I am coming to the same conclusion.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old June 6th 08, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
CriticalMass

Ross wrote:
We in TX do not pay state income tax either.

Nor the coveted and much sought-after "use tax".

That's got to be the most abhorrent money-grab ever conceived by man.
Old June 6th 08, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
CriticalMass

Clark wrote:
Nope, that's not my reasoning at all. All I'm saying is that
government does
have value and so we do owe some taxes. Don't even try to read anything more
into it.

Yes. We need them to build and maintain our interstate highway system
and keep the country secure from the towelheads and anyone else who
wants to do us in.

But that's it. All the rest of the crap they try (and usually fail) to
do, we ought NOT to be paying for that.