Mystery of crashed glider in Arizona

Old December 9th 09, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

Default Mystery of crashed glider in Arizona

"Steve Koerner" wrote in message ...

.... Snip ...

Bob knew the internal construction without seeing it. Is Bob the
builder of this glider? If so, he is likely feeling sad to see her
now in such a state.

Bob purchased all the items in Dick Schreder's warehouse several years ago. He has the wrights to the HP brand. He also has the records of all the HP/RS kits ever sold. His company is HP Aircraft, LLC (http://www.hpaircraft.com) and he is in the process of producing a composite kit which is being called the HP-24.

Bob has owned a HP-11 and built a HP-18. I believe his knowledge of the wreckage is derived from Dick Schreder's kit sales records.

Wayne
http://tinyurl.com/N990-6F

Old December 9th 09, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Dec 8, 8:50*pm, gen wrote:
Possibly Oldshaw O-2 or its variant? I saw one at Soaring Museum at
Moriarty.

http://picasaweb.google.com/gens2000...36093452847633...

-Gen

Anybody else want to add any more V-tail gueses here?

That is another standard class. This wreck has big time flaps and was
certainly not all-wood construction.

It looks "pretty" gotta be some those HP genes in there. C'mon Bob
tell us about her...

Darryl
Old December 9th 09, 05:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Dec 8, 6:41*pm, Steve Koerner wrote:
BTW, I think Bob K knows more then he is telling us.

I think so too. * Bob's earlier speculation on the wing construction
matches precisely what I observed.

Tell us, please Bob.

Sorry to disappoint, but I'm pretty sure I've already told about as
much as I know. I think I've seen pictures of it in an old Soaring
magazine, maybe along with an old Homebuilders Hall article. But
looking through my copy of the Collected Works of Stan Hall, the
closes thing I can find is the Moba 2C, which is in Australia and
accounted for. It also dates to the late 1970s, probably too late to
be our mystery ship. I sure wish I could ask Stan about it, I'd be
pretty sure he'd know it.

What I think I recall of the pictures in Soaring showed a cross-
section of how the aluminum box spar was sized to fit into the
airfoil, and how the foam blocks were cut and nested onto the spar. I
probably saw the pictures around 1980 when I was working at Sky
Sailing and someone left us several cartons of old Soaring magazines
ranging from about 1960 to about 1977. If I was to start looking
through old Soarings, I'd start at 1967 and then widen the search both
ways.

If it seems odd that I identified the wing construction, please
understand that I've been interested in sailplane structures since
about as far back as I can remember clearly. Whenever I saw a picture
of something like that, I'd be all over it, figuring out how it could
be done, what the advantages are, what the disadvantages are. I know
just about every way there is to build a glider. I even know a few
pretty good ways.

Furthermore, I recall that there were several similar projects in the
late 1960s. It seems natural to want to combine predicable, well-
understood riveted aluminum primary structure with easily-shaped foam
and fiberglass secondary structure.

As for my quip about the pilot buying a Libelle, that was an offhand
remark based on two things: For one, it seems evident from the photos
that whatever incident placed that glider there was eminently
survivable, and the pilot probably walked away from it. For another,
my bet is that that glider, like too many homebuilt ships, was too
hard to assemble, too hard to disassemble, too hard to seal, and
probably embodied other disappointments as well. And it probably had a
lousy trailer. So when the pilot did walk away, he probably couldn't
face the idea of another disassembly and reassembly, so he just took
the instruments and left it there, vowing his next glider would go
together much more easily. The lesson there is probably that having a
good trailer is possibly more important than having a good glider.

As for having been involved in the construction, I'm flattered, but
I'm not quite that old. Guessing that that glider was built around
1967, I would have been four or five years old at the time.

Here's a list of all the people I'd ask for more information:

Fred Jiran
George Applebay
Jim Marske
Vern Oldershaw
Alex Sim

Thanks, and best regards to all

Bob K.
www.hpaircraft.com
Old December 9th 09, 06:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Dec 8, 6:41 pm, Steve Koerner wrote:
BTW, I think Bob K knows more then he is telling us.

I think so too. Bob's earlier speculation on the wing construction
matches precisely what I observed.

Tell us, please Bob.

Sorry to disappoint, but I'm pretty sure I've already told about as
much as I know. I think I've seen pictures of it in an old Soaring
magazine, maybe along with an old Homebuilders Hall article. But
looking through my copy of the Collected Works of Stan Hall, the
closes thing I can find is the Moba 2C, which is in Australia and
accounted for. It also dates to the late 1970s, probably too late to
be our mystery ship. I sure wish I could ask Stan about it, I'd be
pretty sure he'd know it.

The answer to the mystery most likely is contained in a dusty old file
at the FAA in Oklahoma City. I don't know the FAA policy regarding
public access, but AOPA has access to those files.

Old December 9th 09, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Dec 8, 8:58*pm, "Wayne Paul" wrote:
I believe his knowledge of the wreckage is derived from Dick
Schreder's kit sales records.

Unfortunately, that's not the case. But if I had a name, I could
probably find it if it's in the files. The tailboom looks too slender
to be any HP except the HP-18; if it is so it would date the mystery
ship to no earlier than about 1974. The V-tail surfaces look taller
than standard HP stuff, but that might just be an artifact of the
camera angles.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old December 9th 09, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I wonder if it is visible on Google Earth? Exactly what airstrip is
this?
Craig
Old December 9th 09, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

wrote in message ...
I wonder if it is visible on Google Earth? Exactly what airstrip is
this?
Craig

Been there tried that. The field is Serene Strip. Its' coordinates are 32.9970N, 112.2723W. If I strain my eyes and use a bit imagination, I think I can see it near the north end of the runway along the eastern boundary fence.

Wayne
Old December 9th 09, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Yes, it is near the north end of the main runway along the eastern
boundary fence.
Old December 10th 09, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terry[_3_]

On Dec 9, 4:21*pm, Steve Koerner wrote:
Yes, it is near the north end of the main runway along the eastern
boundary fence.

Could it be a one off HP-17 by Ken Bawden?
Old December 10th 09, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Dec 9, 9:17*pm, Terry wrote:
On Dec 9, 4:21*pm, Steve Koerner wrote:

Yes, it is near the north end of the main runway along the eastern
boundary fence.

Could it be a one off HP-17 by Ken Bawden?

The current airport owner is listed as Dale J. Bawden. Link?

Mike

IO-540 mystery Paul Tomblin Owning 27 August 31st 07 08:59 PM
glider transport chicago - arizona BB Soaring 0 February 11th 07 12:01 AM
Mystery Propellor M Pengelly Restoration 7 November 1st 04 08:42 PM
GPS Mystery tony roberts Owning 5 February 3rd 04 12:54 AM
Eta crashed Erich Kohlenberger Soaring 33 October 6th 03 11:56 AM