Tracking recurring ADs, maintenance, etc. Recommendations?

Old May 20th 04, 06:19 PM
Peter R.

Default Tracking recurring ADs, maintenance, etc. Recommendations?

I just sat through my first annual as an owner of a Bonanza and learned of
the numerous recurring ADs that I will have to track.

What "systems" do you use to notify you of an upcoming maintenance event,
such as AD compliance or even oil changes? Is there software available for
the PC or Palm Pilot that makes this job more manageable?

--
Peter

Old May 20th 04, 09:12 PM
mikem

AdLog is a three-ring binder system that you can subscribe to. I have
that for my C182. It prints the "one-time" ADs with a green
border, and the "recurring" ADs on a red border. The sheets have
space for the AI to sign and date...

My AI provides a yearly print out from his software subscription
service. I use this for the PA20.

You can just help him/her pay for the sub...

MikeM

Old May 21st 04, 03:07 AM

On Thu, 20 May 2004 13:19:22 -0400, Peter R.
wrote:

I just sat through my first annual as an owner of a Bonanza and learned of
the numerous recurring ADs that I will have to track.

What "systems" do you use to notify you of an upcoming maintenance event,
such as AD compliance or even oil changes? Is there software available for
the PC or Palm Pilot that makes this job more manageable?

Pt 135 aircraft are required to have sufficient documentation for a
pilot (or an FAA inspector) to determine the inspection and AD status
at a glance. Do what they do.

It is not as difficult as you make it out to be, and doesn't have to
be anything complicated.

Make a simple form in WORD, or whatever works easiest for you and make
multiple copies. Write a simple description on each line, and leave a
blank to write in the pertinent information. It needs no signatures,
no sign offs, it just needs to reflect what's coming due when in the
maintenance records.

Put the "required" items first, then things you wanna track for
convenience, then recurring AD's in a seperate section.

Annual inspection due date ___
100 hr inspection due hours ___
Altimeter/XPDR check due date ___

Oil/filter change due hours/date ___

AD ST-UV-WX (induction air filter)
due hours ___
AD AB-CD-EF (ignition switch ops check)
due date ___
AD HI-JK-LM (frazmatat inspection)
due hours/date ___

Only include items that will come due before the next scheduled
inspection (annual for 91 ops). Your mechanic/inspector should provide
you with this information during a post-inspection de-brief. If this
isn't happening, you need to find a new mechanic/inspector.

Any time any item is updated, after the maint. logs are signed, and
PRIOR TO THE NEXT FLIGHT, grab a new sheet, update it, carry over the
other data, and throw away the old one. Get in the habit of keeping
it current, and looking it over as part of your pre-flight.

While you are getting this organized, make another simple form
containing the W/B calculations for your bird. Add a line with date
and signature space somewhere on it for your VOR comp check if you are
instrument equipped. Make room for as many calcs as will fit on the
size form you want to use, plus one VOR line. Get in the habit of
doing a "real" weight and balance. When the sheet is full, carry over
the VOR comp date, and throw it away.

We used a note-pad sized aluminum clipboard with a hinged cover to
hold this paperwork. The status sheet was taped to the inside of the
cover, and the W & B forms inside.

This is simple basic stuff that nobody does, and everybody should. You
aren't re-inventing the wheel. Be proactive, not reactive. As the
operator of the aircraft it is your responsibility under the CFR to
track these things. Your mechanic/inspector's responsibility ends as
soon as you turn onto the taxiway with intentions of flying.

The odds of you getting "ramp-ed" are slim-to-none, but if it happens,
I guarantee that if you show the inspector your license, medical, and
registration plus these stone-simple forms reflecting current accurate
info, he'll tell you to have a nice day and walk away.

Regards;

TC

Old May 21st 04, 03:46 PM
Peter R.

mikem ) wrote:

My AI provides a yearly print out from his software subscription
service. I use this for the PA20.

You can just help him/her pay for the sub...

I'll talk to the A&P about this. Thanks!

--
Peter

Old May 21st 04, 03:47 PM
Peter R.

) wrote:

Pt 135 aircraft are required to have sufficient documentation for a
pilot (or an FAA inspector) to determine the inspection and AD status
at a glance. Do what they do.

TC, excellent suggestion! Thank you very much for the time to write it up.

--
Peter

Old May 21st 04, 05:55 PM
No Spam

I guarantee that if you show the inspector your license, medical, and
registration plus these stone-simple forms reflecting current accurate
info, he'll tell you to have a nice day and walk away.

Regards;

TC

Oh, come on, TC. You know that any FFA (not a typo) Inspector isn't going to
walk away until he/she has proven his/her superiority over us commoners!

Nuk, nuk...

Really, thanks for the advise. It's mucho appreciated!

No Spam