Is it Possible to Self launch (no wingman) with CG hook??

Old November 8th 04, 04:24 PM
F.L. Whiteley

"CV" wrote in message
Bill Daniels wrote:
Instant roll control and no prop wash to deal with.

Actually, the prop wash will help, by providing some airflow
over the wings and control surfaces, giving you a certain
degree of control, even before the speed builds up.

CV

Actually, I'd contend this causes most wing drops since it's usually not
evenly distributed over both wings.

Old November 11th 04, 09:38 AM
Mark Newton

In article ,
CV wrote:

Bill Daniels wrote:
Instant roll control and no prop wash to deal with.

Actually, the prop wash will help, by providing some airflow
over the wings and control surfaces, giving you a certain
degree of control, even before the speed builds up.

We're talking about a winch, CV. You don't have to wait until the speed
builds up :-)

- mark
Old November 8th 04, 02:03 AM
goneill

You need to be "very very" quick on release if the down wing
does not move forward with the winch launch as the upper wing
starts flying and lifts up and can throw the glider/you into an
end over end cartwheel, fatalities have happened with that scenario.
The winch rapid acceleration is a two edged sword ,as long as
you get the wings both moving forward its easier than a aerotow
wingdown takeoff.
gary
"Mark Newton" wrote in message
In article ,
"tango4" wrote:

Aerotow no problem. Don't try it with a winch though!

Why not? Winch is easier than aerotow: The rapid acceleration
means you have instant roll-axis control.

(done it several times, easy as pie)

- mark

Old November 11th 04, 09:37 AM
Mark Newton

In article ,
"goneill" wrote:

You need to be "very very" quick on release if the down wing
does not move forward with the winch launch as the upper wing
starts flying and lifts up and can throw the glider/you into an
end over end cartwheel,

You don't start with a "down wing". You prop the wings so
they're level.

- mark
Old November 11th 04, 12:08 PM
Stefan

Mark Newton wrote:

You don't start with a "down wing". You prop the wings so
they're level.

I always start with a "down wing" when being alone. No problem whatsoever.

Stefan

Old November 11th 04, 05:39 PM
goneill

The point is this "cartwheel scenario" has happened before.
I believe there was a case in Europe not that long ago.

Old November 5th 04, 07:00 PM
Steve Hill

I have done this many times...I live on a private airport and many mid-week
soaring days found me and my good buddy ( ie towpilot) having to figure out
how to safely accomplish this...On grass it's a no brainer. I take about a
36" piece of
1" x 1" wood, poke it into the grass directly under the wing tip perhaps 6
inches inboard, a piece of duct tape over the sawn end keep gelcoat from
being damaged. basically you get everything ready hook up...set the wing on
the stick close the canopy and go...I have only done it using a radio for
verbal communication with the towpilot. I operated my DG this way numerous
times when the engine was out, and I have operated two other sailplanes the
same way. Make sure the stick is of a length to hold the wings approximately
level slightly low to the windward side is best and then aggressively start
the two...never yet dropped a wing. I always start with spoiler open to
maximize roll control early...the DG only has a CG hook.

Steve.

Old November 5th 04, 07:23 PM
goneill

A number of our guys come out midweek and launch on the winch
with just the winchdriver and the pilot .
They use a carpet wrapped sawhorse to hold the wing up.
If they can not find the sawhorse they have used an empty cardboard box
to hold the wing up.Our winch uses polyprop rope and when the glider
starts to move it is at flying speed very quickly.
"Jerz Rossignol" wrote in message
m...
Hi Guys,

I'm curious if any of you guys have ever tried to self launch with no
wing man on a cg hook only glider. I have skids on my wingtips as
well. Would you put the wing that's on the ground further forward at
start? What's the technique!!
I think this is why having a cg hook is a disadvantage.

Regards,

Jerz

Old November 6th 04, 01:59 PM
Mark James Boyd

In article , goneill wrote:
If they can not find the sawhorse they have used an empty cardboard box
to hold the wing up.

I like the idea of the (softer) cardboard box better than
the sawhorse. A sawhorse seems like overenginee...oops, over-building
--

------------+
Mark J. Boyd
Old November 6th 04, 04:05 PM
Eric Greenwell

Mark James Boyd wrote:

In article , goneill wrote:

If they can not find the sawhorse they have used an empty cardboard box
to hold the wing up.

I like the idea of the (softer) cardboard box better than
the sawhorse. A sawhorse seems like overenginee...oops, over-building

Who removes the sawhorse or cardboard box from the runway after the takeoff?

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

spaceship one Pianome Home Built 169 June 30th 04 05:47 AM
Vandenberg Launch, April 17 Piloting 5 April 9th 04 02:21 AM
Ground launch and the incremental vanishing of soaring Mark James Boyd Soaring 24 March 8th 04 10:50 PM
Pegasus/TRACE Launch Photos Posted Brian Webb Military Aviation 0 February 21st 04 03:50 PM
Friendly fire pilot may testify against wingman Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 October 11th 03 09:32 PM