Good Instructors...

Old November 12th 04, 05:15 AM
PJ Hunt

Hey CJ, is 'verticalreference' yours or am I mistaken?

PJ

Old November 12th 04, 06:11 AM
C J Campbell

"PJ Hunt" wrote in message
Hey CJ, is 'verticalreference' yours or am I mistaken?

What is that?

Old November 12th 04, 06:14 AM
C J Campbell

"PJ Hunt" wrote in message
Hey CJ, is 'verticalreference' yours or am I mistaken?

Oh, I see. Are you talking about Ray Madrid's helicopter web site? If so, I
have never flown in a helicopter and never heard of verticalreference before
today. Looks interesting, though.

Old November 12th 04, 09:13 AM
Roger

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 16:46:47 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
wrote:

"doc" wrote in message
are awfully hard to find.

I just "interviewed" a couple at local flight schools by taking little
flights with them, ostensibly just for rust removal.

snip
Bottom line.....in your quest for a GOOD instructor......be
aware........be advised.......and be alert. Observe the whole picture.
Then when you're certain you have considered it all, make your decision.
I'm just passing this on to you because I've seen many a mistake made by
students going into these things with preconception. Not to say that
preconception isn't a good idea...it is. But it also has to be tempered
and flexible to be an effective tool.

In my rather limited experience I think there are a lot of good
instructors out there. Sure, there are some that aren't, but I think
it is as important that the instructor and student personalities are
compatible. It takes a good match of a number of characteristics for
the teaching and learning procedure to proceed at the best possible
pace.

We now have close to 8 or 9 instructors on the field. None are full
time, all have "other jobs", all teach because they want to, and all
have pretty good success ratios. OTOH you can find students that will
swear by any particular instructor and you will find those they sear
at.

We even have one who was recently banned from the field because the
inexperienced person working in the terminal building got scared
watching them do emergency procedures and wrote them up. (long story)
I'd still fly with him any day and I'd be surprised that the lawyers
don't get him back on the field soon. OTOH we have an award winning
instructor with whom I refuse to fly. It's more of a
personality/ethics thing, but that person is known as a good
instructor.

We had a husband and wife team take some mountain flying dual out in
the Rocky Mountains this Summer. They flew with an instructor for not
much over an hour each and each had to switch instructors. He has
quite a few students, but as experienced pilots, his teaching style
was one of those that grated the wrong way.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Best of luck in your quest,
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
for email; take out the trash

Old November 12th 04, 06:52 PM
Robert M. Gary

"Peter MacPherson" wrote in message news:dBLkd.496080$mD.366210@attbi_s02...
Owning a plane and flying it all over the place is one way to get this
experience. Flying 135 could be another.

Agreed, but instructors can also fly "all over the place" with their
students. Like someone else said, the x-c's don't have to be 1000 miles
to get good wx experience.

I 100% disagree with that. You just don't run into the situation of
real world cross country weather in the training environment. You
aren't crossing weather fronts very often and you aren't flying long
enough that forcasts get old. You just aren't crossing enough weather
boundries on little 200nm training flights.
Having lived in both environments, I really see a difference between
flying 200nm around your "back yard weather" and flying around the
country experiences other pilots' "back yard weather".

A lot of part 135 pilots don't tend to
fly very far. As another example, Cape Air which flies from Boston
to the Islands(Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard) and other short hops,
probably have some of the best wx pilots around. They fly through
all New England wx....fog, ice, etc.. and they probably never fly
more than 150 miles. So if these pilots are able to get this experience
(difference in equipment noted) why do instructors need to be going
"all over the place" to give their students some great wx experience?

They fly in pretty predictable weather. They know when and where the
ice will come. If they were flying some longer cross countries they
would experience a different type of weather that they would be less
equipt to predict.

I don't agree that with teaching you either have it or not. I think
if you have the aptitude, over time you become a better teacher every
day you teach. I doubt that the best teachers you know were that good
on their first day because "they had it".

That may be true but I've never actually seen it work that way. Some
people have the patients and personality to teach adults and some
people don't. I've never seen a poor teacher because a good teacher.
I've seen a poor teacher become on okay teacher.

-robert
Old November 14th 04, 05:21 AM
Les Ward

I just recently talked to a CFI about doing a BFR and during the
conversation he stated that his " job " would be to stress me out.
You know cross wind landings etc. Here where I live CFI,s are rather
limited. I sure didn,t think that was the way to begin a
student/Instructor relationship!!!
Aloha, Les Ward

doc wrote:
are awfully hard to find.

I just "interviewed" a couple at local flight schools by taking little
flights with them, ostensibly just for rust removal.

There's no way I'd hire them for instrument training. It is
tough to find an instructor who really knows his stuff, is a good
teacher and is congenial enough that I'd be willing to spend 10's of
hours in a cockpit with him/her.

Just an observation. I don't expect anyone to have a solution.

Old November 14th 04, 03:33 PM
Hankal

I just recently talked to a CFI about doing a BFR and during the
conversation he stated that his " job " would be to stress me out.

I would politely shake his hand and tell him that he is not the kind of
instructor that you prefer for any kind of instructions or BFR.
To me he sounds like he should take some training in being an instructior.
Hank 172 driver
Old November 18th 04, 07:30 PM
Gene Whitt

Y'All,
One thing I do about instruction for as certain as I can be about anything
is...

A good instructor knows best of all what he can't teach.

Old November 18th 04, 08:04 PM
Journeyman

In article et, Gene Whitt wrote:
Y'All,
One thing I do about instruction for as certain as I can be about anything
is...

A good instructor knows best of all what he can't teach.

You can't teach what you don't know. Paradoxically, you never learn
a subject as well as when you try to teach it to someone else.

Morris