Katrina fall-out

Old September 8th 05, 10:50 PM
sfb

Please stop trying to give the Louisiana Congressional delegation a
pass. They have full control on where and what money is spent in the
state. Apparently, they know how to get money for bike paths, but not
for levees.

"James Robinson" wrote in message
. 97.142...
"sfb" wrote:

Most, if not all the fault, with failing to upgrade Levees lies with
the Louisiana Congressional Delegation. There a report in today's WSJ
that they were able to get a $400,000 for the Mississippi River Trail
and Bikepath and $3,200,000 for bike and pedestrian crossings of the
Washington-Palmetto Canal in this year's highway bill. Obviously, the
locals have a problem setting priorities and would resent any attempt
by
the Bush administration to force them to rethink where Federal monies
are best spent.

They don't get a choice about where to spend that money; It has to be
spent where the bill designates. It's also a far cry from the
estimated
$15 billion required for mitigation according to the Army Corps of
Engineers proposals.

Old September 9th 05, 01:38 PM
Dan Luke

"Doof" wrote:

These are just the major highlights. If you REALLY want to know the
facts, rather than Jessie Jackson's spin and the left/MSM slurping it
up, read "The Economics and Politics of Race" by Thomas Sowell.

I have not read much of Sowell, but always thought he was not
descriminating enough. Most of all, I think he is a crypto-blame
shifter: that is, at bottom he is no different from Jackson, blaming
whites for the problems of blacks. The greatest blame, in my opinion,
must fall on American black leaders of the last 40 years who have
inculcated the ideas of entitlement, reparation and irresponsibility
into black culture in the United States. If he has hit this point hard
enough, I have missed it.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old September 10th 05, 11:53 PM
Flyingmonk

Lavish tastes of card-carrying lowlifes

Profiteering ghouls have been using debit cards distributed in the wake
of Hurricane Katrina - intended to buy essentials for evacuated
families - in luxury-goods stores as far away as Atlanta.

"We've seen three of the cards," said a senior employee of the Louis
Vuitton store at the Lenox Square Mall in affluent Buckhead, who asked
not to be named. "Two I'm certain have purchased; one actually asked if
she could use it in the store. This has been since Saturday."

The distinctive white cards were distributed by the Red Cross and the
Federal Emergency Management Agency and carry a value of up to $2,000.

"It doesn't say anything on the card other than alcohol, tobacco and
firearms cannot be purchased with it," the store employee told me.
"There's nothing legally that prevents us from taking it,
unfortunately. Other than morally, it's wrong."

The source told me that the two women who had made purchases with the
card each bought a signature monogrammed Louis Vuitton handbag in the
$800 range.

"They didn't look destitute by any stretch. You would never have said,
'They must be one of the evacuees.' ... The one that I dealt with
yesterday was 20. She'll be 21 next month." The source described the
reaction of other store-keepers in the mall - which includes luxury
brands Ferragamo, Burberry, Judith Leiber and Neiman Marcus - as
"outrage."

"It doesn't say anywhere on there, but it would have to be a good
amount to be shopping in here," the source said with a dark chuckle.

source: http://nydailynews.com/front/story/345030p-294601c.html

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

Old September 11th 05, 01:12 AM
Flyingmonk

pictures of Katrina damages

http://www.plaqueminesparish.com/Eme...orePhotos.html

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

Old September 11th 05, 04:16 AM
Jay Honeck

Profiteering ghouls have been using debit cards distributed in the wake
of Hurricane Katrina - intended to buy essentials for evacuated
families - in luxury-goods stores as far away as Atlanta.

This is news? Anyone with half a brain knew that there would be rampant,
massive fraud associated with the government handing out $2K debit cards to
Katrina victims.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 11th 05, 03:12 PM
john smith

The New Louisiana Purchase
Wouldn't it be more cost effective and cost the taxpayers less money for
the Federal Government to just pay all the property owners 10% over
appraised value for all the real estate in New Orleans and turn the area
into a big coastal National Park?
Old September 11th 05, 03:15 PM
sfb

New Orleans is a major port exporting grain from the Midwest to the
world so they just can't walk away.

Old September 11th 05, 03:53 PM
Doug Carter

In article SZWUe.1946$b37.1338@trnddc04, sfb wrote:
New Orleans is a major port exporting grain from the Midwest to the
world so they just can't walk away.

Not insignificant but hardly crucial; New Orleans ranks #14 in the top
20 U.S. Ports:

(http://www.bts.gov/publications/us_i.../table_13.html)

Still, a grain terminal could be maintained without risking a million
people.
Old September 11th 05, 04:58 PM
sfb

Nice try baby, but your chart is ranked by container shipping. Grain are
bulk cargos. Levees are needed to maintain water depth for navigation.

ire.net...

Old September 11th 05, 06:06 PM
Doug Carter

In article iuYUe.649$YI6.353@trnddc05, sfb wrote:
Nice try baby, but your chart is ranked by container shipping. Grain are
bulk cargos. Levees are needed to maintain water depth for navigation.

Ahhh, try reading the posts. New Orleans is is _not_ an insignificant
port overall and _yes_ it is important to grain exports with some nine
of the twelve central gulf coast elevators with deep draft channels.

This could be why I suggested rebuilding the grain terminals.

What fraction, do you suppose, of the now displaced or dead New
Orleans population was devoted to grain shipment?

Fall Photo Shoots Arnold Sten Piloting 7 October 8th 04 04:29 PM
Windsocks ,. Great fall special $ 15 for 1 or $ 25 for 2 GASSITT Aviation Marketplace 0 October 6th 04 05:12 AM
Tomcats gone by fall of 2006 Mike Weeks Naval Aviation 48 June 22nd 04 02:32 PM
NE fall foliage report Cub Driver Piloting 0 October 19th 03 12:25 PM
Fall Colors Flights! Jack Cunniff Piloting 2 October 15th 03 10:06 PM