Merry Christmas and Lawn mowers

Old December 27th 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

Default Merry Christmas and Lawn mowers

"C J Campbell" wrote

We do have the water and mud cleared out of the house now, mostly, and the
driveway is finally clear of the 18 inches of muck that was deposited on
it.

Several of the neighbors are using portable generators or tractors, trying
to clear silt deposited almost a month ago.

Count your blessings.

Indeed I shall, CJ.

If a person thinks he has it bad, look around, and he can always find
someone worse off.

Did it force you to move out, and if so, are you back in yet?

A few years ago, a guy down the street lived by a small stream that would
occasionally back up when the water was up, because of a bridge built with
two small of a culvert.

It was a split foyer, so the front door was above the high water mark. The
garage doors were not, so the water would rush in underneath and around the
garage doors, and put a foot or so of water in the lower level.

The owner wanted to know if I had any solutions, and I thought outside of
the box and came up with one.

I made a 2 foot tall temporary dike out of 2 x 6 and plywood, and drilled
into the floor and installed lag bolts, and lag bolted some angle iron into
the wall beside the garage door and bolted through the dike. I put some
thick closed cell rubber weather strip material on the dike where it
contacted the wall and the floor.

All the owner had to do when it looked like possible flooding, was to drag
out the dikes, and bolt them down. He has used it a few times, and said it
worked like a charm, with barely a little water getting around it, but
easily sucked up with a wet vac.

So, thinking out of the box can pay off. I wish you strength of body and
spirit, and determination to make it past this stretch of happenings, and a
return to normal life.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 1st 08, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
LWG

I bought a snowblower attachment for my string trimmer. I looked at thing
in the store, and thought that can't possibly work- it looks like a toy. To
my surprise, it is fantastic for light work. I have a 150 ft driveway with
a 20% slope, and I've done the whole thing in a few minutes with up to 4" of
snow. I was amazed at how well it worked.

I like the new snow shovels with the funky handles that allow you to work
standing up straight. I have a very bad back, (two unsuccessful
surgeries) so that is the first consideration!
A spud bar and a flat scraper is what I use on ice.

Old January 1st 08, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-12-26 17:55:40 -0800, "Morgans" said:

"C J Campbell" wrote

We do have the water and mud cleared out of the house now, mostly, and the
driveway is finally clear of the 18 inches of muck that was deposited on
it.

Several of the neighbors are using portable generators or tractors, trying
to clear silt deposited almost a month ago.

Count your blessings.

Indeed I shall, CJ.

If a person thinks he has it bad, look around, and he can always find
someone worse off.

Did it force you to move out, and if so, are you back in yet?

We spent one night at friends. You really find out who your friends
are. We had more than 30 people here who just showed up over a period
of two weeks and cleaned everything up. One thing that slowed me up was
my pressure washer chose that moment to go on the fritz, so I had to
get it repaired quick.

What really concerns me are some of the neighbors who have gone south
for the winter. I am sure they have no concept of what their house
looks like. About a mile down the road is a house with a carport with a
beautiful '70s GTO parked in it -- and it has baseball size gravel
pushed up all around it up to the windows. Now, that is just plain
heartbreaking.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old January 1st 08, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-12-26 17:36:46 -0800, "Morgans" said:

Best of all, in NC, if you wait one or two days, 90% of the time, the snow
will remove itself!

That is true around here in the Puget Sound area, too! Actually, our
weather is often compared to that of Atlanta, GA, only not so hot in
the summer. We get more rain, especially last year. :-)

Old January 1st 08, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Mazor[_2_]

"LWG" wrote in message
. ..
I bought a snowblower attachment for my string trimmer. I looked at thing in the store,
and thought that can't possibly work- it looks like a toy. To my surprise, it is
fantastic for light work. I have a 150 ft driveway with a 20% slope, and I've done the
whole thing in a few minutes with up to 4" of snow. I was amazed at how well it worked.

Which model is that?