1-26 Snowbirds

Old May 21st 16, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Clif McVay

Default 1-26 Snowbirds

On Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 7:24:21 PM UTC-4, Citrus Soaring Club wrote:
We would love to attend with our d model "480"

So that makes three Florida based 1-26s.

Any "snowbirds" interested?

For those unfamiliar with the term, a "snowbird" is a northerner who comes south to escape some or all of their cold winters back home. (To me at least, it's surprising how many snowbirds bring gliders.)
Old May 21st 16, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

#445 just moved from Colorado to X59 in Valkaria, FL and is undergoing an annual this week to get it back in the air. I think you can count on it joining the group.

Paul A.
Jupiter, FL
Old May 22nd 16, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Clif McVay

#445 just moved from Colorado to X59 in Valkaria, FL and is undergoing an annual this week to get it back in the air. I think you can count on it joining the group.

Paul A.
Jupiter, FL

So is four Floridian flyers enough to make it a date?

Let's say yes for now. But if no out-of-state interest appears I may consider changing the name to the 1-26 Florida Fly-off. (Is "fly-in" appropriate for gliders?)

See you 1-26ers on 1-26!
(Details will follow as they are derived.)
Old May 22nd 16, 02:15 AM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

I'd like to volunteer to fly tow.......we get four ropes of different lengths and I can get all four of you up at once.

Walt
Old May 22nd 16, 11:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Clif McVay

--
Walt Connelly

Walt,

I am hoping for a safer way to discount the price of tows.

Maybe just two at a time?
Old May 22nd 16, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

How about an "Around the Lake Rally" circumnavigating Lake Okeechobee as a task? Maybe we can get the club in LaBelle, Florida involved.
Old May 31st 16, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Clif McVay

OK Then...

An open invitation to all SGS 1-26 owners:

1-26 Snowbird Camp (hopefully an annual event)
1-26-2017 to 1-29-2017
Seminole Lake Gliderport, Clermont Florida

Watch our website's (www.soarfl.com) events page for details as they develop.

Clif McVay (manager of Seminole Lake Gliderport)
Old May 31st 16, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Clif whats your tow prices there and is there free tent or rv camping on the field?
Old May 31st 16, 12:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Clif McVay

Our normal tow fee is $45 for the first 2,000 ft then $15 per thousand above that. I want to discount the tows for 1-26s during the camp.

Normal camping fee is $7 per night (bathroom with shower available). RV water and power hookups are $20 per night. RVs not using hookup is $7. Again, I want to discount these rates for 1-26s.

We also rent rooms. See our website: soarfl.com

Clif
Old December 17th 16, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Clif McVay

On Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 5:56:15 AM UTC-4, Clif McVay wrote:
Would anyone be interested in creating a yearly event for 1-26s on or around January 26 ?

For all the 1-26 pilots out the

We are still planning to hold an informal 1-26 gathering in central Florida from January 26, 2017 (1-26) to January 29, 2017 at Seminole Lake Gliderport, Clermont FL.

On Thursday January 26 all SGS1-26 aircraft will get half price tows. (50% discount)

1-26 tows will be discounted 20% Friday (1/27) to Sunday (1/29).

A "fun task" will be offered each day for those pilots so inclined. Cheesy prizes will be awarded.

Send your questions and comments to Clif McVay via Seminole Lake email:

Clif

Snowbirds 2009 Maple1 Aviation Photos 0 January 16th 09 04:25 AM
Snowbirds Canuck[_3_] Aviation Photos 0 December 17th 08 02:43 AM
Snowbirds..... Canuck[_2_] Aviation Photos 10 September 6th 08 09:06 AM
Snowbirds Crash Jay Honeck Piloting 12 August 26th 05 09:51 PM
Snowbirds down tony roberts Piloting 24 December 15th 04 03:38 PM