Selecting landout airports

Old May 27th 16, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Selecting landout airports

Understood.

However, years back my partner and I launched our LS-6a (no tip wheels)
unassisted, though using a stick for a wing stand. I was in the tug and
he was in the glider. We had to make a couple of attempts due cross
winds causing the wing to rise and the stick to drop. Circumstances of
the day did not allow a trailer retrieve so I flew out to get him. I
wouldn't do that routinely...

On 5/26/2016 7:30 PM, Tom Nau wrote:
It's not possible in my ship, a '28, without a wingtip wheel.
Tom

--
Dan, 5J

Old May 27th 16, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt

Another trick is to carry a cheap old fashioned toilet plunger. Stick the suction cup under the wing with the wood dowel slightly screwed in. The dowel drops off as you roll.
Craig

On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 7:24:45 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Understood.

However, years back my partner and I launched our LS-6a (no tip
wheels) unassisted, though using a stick for a wing stand.Â* I was
in the tug and he was in the glider.Â* We had to make a couple of
attempts due cross winds causing the wing to rise and the stick to
drop.Â* Circumstances of the day did not allow a trailer retrieve
so I flew out to get him.Â* I wouldn't do that routinely...

Old May 28th 16, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Setting a wing on a traffic cone that happens to be sitting next to the runway works too, but you can't always count on somebody leaving a traffic cone behind for you. That 8 bucks I invested in my temporary wingtip wheel has been a good investment.
Old May 28th 16, 07:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Another trick for an unassisted take-off, often practiced by pilots behind the Iron Curtain when towing back from a real field landing: use a really short towing cable (15 meters or less). When the towplane revs up with brakes on, there should be enough wind generated by the propeller to lift the wing at 0 kts. Jou need to take into account the side the slipstream will be going (propeller rotation + crosswind). But you need training to tow with such a short cable.
Old May 28th 16, 01:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 4:27:25 PM UTC-4, Craig Reinholt wrote:
Another trick is to carry a cheap old fashioned toilet plunger. Stick the suction cup under the wing with the wood dowel slightly screwed in. The dowel drops off as you roll.
Craig

Please don't leave debris on a runway!

In a difficult case (narrow, tall lights for snow country) we used two springy finger sized branches cut off a nearby tree, one under each tip, backed all the way up to the end of the runway. Technically the sticks littered the runway, but not a useful part of the runway.

Evan / T8
Old June 2nd 16, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Evan: I hear that runway was very much littered already, with moose droppings... Although it looked fairly clean when I stopped by there last fall.

I've gotten towed un-assisted out of a narrow runway with lights more than once, and was told to place the glider about 50 feet before one set of lights. The idea was that you can't hit that set of lights, since it takes some distance to travel far enough off the centerline (or from a bit downwind of the centerline), and it's a whole 200 feet until the next set of lights, by which point you'll have enough airspeed to control the roll path. (It's also easier with 12.6m wings.)

selecting wheels and tyres jan olieslagers[_2_] Home Built 4 March 11th 10 09:47 AM
Another Cherokee II Landout [email protected] Soaring 2 September 22nd 08 04:36 AM
Dry Lake Landout Hal[_2_] Soaring 1 July 9th 07 09:23 PM
U.S. & ISRAEL SELECTING TARGETS FOR CRUISE MISSILE FIRST-STRIKE ATTACK dontcowerfromthetruth Naval Aviation 7 August 8th 06 02:22 PM
Landout Laws Charles Petersen Soaring 90 February 26th 04 03:09 AM