Very disappointed with SeeYou

Old June 1st 16, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU

Default Very disappointed with SeeYou

I've been a very loyal supporter of SeeYou and recommended it to many people but I'm really ****ed at what they seem to be doing now. I didn't feel the need to pay for the upgrades, I was very happy with the SeeYou I had, but as soon as my subscription lapsed, the program went all to hell and hardly works at all now. Seems wrong to program disabling functions if you don't pay up. I paid for the version I had and many versions in the past. Feels like blackmail to me. Very disappointed...

Boggs
Old June 1st 16, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 7:54:27 PM UTC-4, Waveguru wrote:
I've been a very loyal supporter of SeeYou and recommended it to many people but I'm really ****ed at what they seem to be doing now. I didn't feel the need to pay for the upgrades, I was very happy with the SeeYou I had, but as soon as my subscription lapsed, the program went all to hell and hardly works at all now. Seems wrong to program disabling functions if you don't pay up. I paid for the version I had and many versions in the past. Feels like blackmail to me. Very disappointed...

Boggs

Id rather pay the price up front and know what I have than to be in this situation. I remember many years ago a similar web based program doing this. And this is exactly why I chose iGlide along with the interface capability.
Old June 1st 16, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 4:54:27 PM UTC-7, Waveguru wrote:
I've been a very loyal supporter of SeeYou and recommended it to many people but I'm really ****ed at what they seem to be doing now. I didn't feel the need to pay for the upgrades, I was very happy with the SeeYou I had, but as soon as my subscription lapsed, the program went all to hell and hardly works at all now. Seems wrong to program disabling functions if you don't pay up. I paid for the version I had and many versions in the past. Feels like blackmail to me. Very disappointed...

Boggs

Gary:
Believe you're talking about SeeYou PC, not SeeYou Mobile as Casey thought.
You can go back to the version you liked. Save your .cup file. Uninstall 8.x, reinstall 5.x or whatever you liked. Use your old serial number and registration key. Open the .cup file.
I still prefer 5.36, but have 8.11 now. 8.11 is faster than 8.06. Best thing about 8.x is the ability to copy waypoints from one cup file to another. I find the "My Waypoints and Tasks" bit strange. Version 8.06 doesn't even make .cupx files with images. Haven't tried with 8.11 yet, but have used Cupx File Creator. A great tool.
....You did save the installation program, serial number and key for the one you liked? Or perhaps with a floating credit card trick it'll come back.
Jim
Old June 1st 16, 09:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

Perfectly reasonable to ask you to pay for upgrades. When you buy you get upgrades for 12 months without paying any more. After that you can continue to use the version you have got forever.

As said above, I guess you tried to upgrade without a subscription. If you don't have what is needed to go back to a previous version I expect that the decent people at Naviter will be willing to help you if you email them.

They need support to continue development of their software. I suggest paying the sub.
Old June 1st 16, 12:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU

No, I didn't try to upgrade. The version I had just started to self destruct along with pop ups that reminded me every time I turned it on that my subscription had run out. That's what I'm unhappy about.
Old June 1st 16, 01:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 4:40:37 AM UTC-4, waremark wrote:
... After that you can continue to use the version you have got forever.

WHat stops working when the subscription expires?
Access to "See You Cloud"? Airspace updates? Satellite images?

A subscription fee is preferable to See You becoming "Living Dead Software".

I wish Condor had a subscription fee and added features for remote flight instruction.
Old June 1st 16, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers[_2_]

On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 7:32:16 AM UTC-4, Waveguru wrote:
No, I didn't try to upgrade. The version I had just started to self destruct along with pop ups that reminded me every time I turned it on that my subscription had run out. That's what I'm unhappy about.

There are "x"s on these pop ups just close them out everytime, your software will run just fine with no issues.
Old June 1st 16, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 7:32:16 AM UTC-4, Waveguru wrote:
No, I didn't try to upgrade. The version I had just started to self destruct along with pop ups that reminded me every time I turned it on that my subscription had run out. That's what I'm unhappy about.

Who did you buy the software (upgrade) from? They should sort it out for you.