"Hi-jacked bomber flew to Scotland"

Old November 19th 07, 07:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dingo[_2_]

Default "Hi-jacked bomber flew to Scotland"

Just posting this as I think it may be of interest to some of you good
folks.

Apologies for posting this way, I'm still trying to get my head around my
newish PC and its assorted programs.

This clipping, which is from the UK's Sunday Express newspaper dated
28.4.74., I found inside a book that had been "lost" for more years than I
can recall.

So now we know, the Ju 88 was really a WW1 a/c vbg
~~
Dingo ;~)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S_exp1.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	19634  Click image for larger version

Name:	S-exp2.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	19635
Old November 19th 07, 10:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Robert Sveinson

"Dingo" wrote in message

Just posting this as I think it may be of interest to some of you good
folks.

Apologies for posting this way, I'm still trying to get my head around my
newish PC and its assorted programs.

This clipping, which is from the UK's Sunday Express newspaper dated
28.4.74., I found inside a book that had been "lost" for more years than I
can recall.

So now we know, the Ju 88 was really a WW1 a/c vbg
~~
Dingo ;~)

"British knowledge of German airborne interception radar was greatly
enhanced when, literally out of the blue, a Lichtenstein-equipped Ju 88R-1
D5+EV, landed at the RAF station at Dyce, Aberdeen. The pilot was
Oberleutnant Heinrich Schmitt, a veteran of the Spanish Civil War and the
Battle of Britain, the radar operator Oberfeldwebel Paul Rosenberger, and
the
flight mechanic Oberfeldwebel Erich Kantwill, and they had planned their
flight to the British Isles and their defection very carefully. Members of
10./NJG 3 stationed at Grove in Denmark, they had been temporarily
detached
to the airfield at Kristiansund on the southern coast of Norway in
response
a requirement voiced by Hitler that the nightly RAF courier flight between
Stockholm and London should be intercepted and shot down. At about 15:30
hrs. on 9 May 1943 the Ju 88 took off, ostensibly for a routine airtest,
and
shortly afterwards the radio operator, in accordance with their plan,
transmitted
an SOS message to the effect that there was an engine on fire and they
were
ditching in the sea. Air-sea rescue machines sent off in response to the
distress
call found floating rubber dinghies, but understandably no sigh of the
aircraft
itself."

From: The Other Battle Luftwaffe Night Aces Versus Bomber Command
By: Peter Hinchliffe

Old November 20th 07, 02:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Brian O'Neill

So, why did they do it? Dyed in the wool anti-fascists, or just a crew
tired of the war and the probability of getting killed? There surely is
more to the story than this, intriguing though it is.

Brian

From: The Other Battle Luftwaffe Night Aces Versus Bomber Command
By: Peter Hinchliffe

Thanks, Robert, for the extra detail. I'll have to try and find some time to
do a bit of digging on this subject in respect to the a/c's crew.

There is reference to this incident at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_Ju_88

Cheers,
Dingo ;-)

Old November 20th 07, 02:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dingo[_2_]

"Brian O'Neill" wrote in message
g.com...
So, why did they do it? Dyed in the wool anti-fascists, or just a crew
tired of the war and the probability of getting killed? There surely is
more to the story than this, intriguing though it is.

Brian

It's got me wondering to, Brian. I also wonder why the newspaper ran that
item at the time ~ 1974.
~~
Dingo

Old November 20th 07, 04:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Neil Hoskins

"Dingo" wrote in message

"Brian O'Neill" wrote in message
g.com...
So, why did they do it? Dyed in the wool anti-fascists, or just a crew
tired of the war and the probability of getting killed? There surely is
more to the story than this, intriguing though it is.

Brian

It's got me wondering to, Brian. I also wonder why the newspaper ran that
item at the time ~ 1974.

There was a load of stuff that never came to light until the nineteen
seventies, like Station X in Bletchley and Ultra. My guess is that this
would have been the thirty-year rule.

Old November 20th 07, 08:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

"Dingo" wrote in

This clipping, which is from the UK's Sunday Express newspaper dated
28.4.74., I found inside a book that had been "lost" for more years
than I can recall.

So now we know, the Ju 88 was really a WW1 a/c vbg
~~
Dingo ;~)

This "hijacking" was detailed in R.V. Jones book
"Most Secret War" published in 1978
(pages 327-330 of the 1998 edition)

According to the text, the 3 man crew was ordered to shootdown
the Civil courier flyight from Scotland to Stockholm, and since they
little sympathy with the Nazis decided to defect.they were escorted to
Dyce, and debriefed. with British preforming extensive evaluations of the
radar and the aircraft..

From: The Other Battle Luftwaffe Night Aces Versus Bomber Command
By: Peter Hinchliffe

Thanks, Robert, for the extra detail. I'll have to try and find some time
do a bit of digging on this subject in respect to the a/c's crew.

I posted my stuff before I saw part II of your photos. I do hope
that there was some extra knowledge in mine.

Old November 21st 07, 12:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Brian O'Neill

Thanks for the info on this! I've visited teh RAF museum at Hendon, and
it's nice to know where the Ju-88 came from.

Interesting, isn't it, that a Spanish Civil War veteran finally got a belly
full of Hitler when ordered to shoot down an unarmed courier aircraft.

Brian