Rodent Deterrent, Part Deux

Old January 28th 08, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

Default Rodent Deterrent, Part Deux

Thanks to all for suggestions on keeping rodents out of gliders and
glider trailers.

So far, so good. No signs of "Mickey Mouse" today.

A couple or three weeks ago, I did the following:

1. I removed all food from the glider and the trailer. I had a
pretty good supply of crackers and granola bars in there.

2. I cleaned up all traces of mouse habitation (well, maybe not all)
in the glider and in the trailer with combinations of compressed air,
vacuum cleaner, and wash water. The trailer is VERY CLEAN now! And
so is the inside of the glider. It's the cleanest it's been in years.

3. I placed some clothes dryer fabric softener sheets in the cockpit
and in the trailer.

And the piece de resistance:

4. A plastic tub with pure ferret poop placed on the trailer floor
right at the rear of the trailer.

I still have to run a pressure/vacuum check on the pitot/static
system, though.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Old January 28th 08, 07:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Ferrets Rule!

Hugo and Rocko are pleased!

Brad

Old January 28th 08, 08:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cats

On Jan 28, 1:08*am, rlovinggood wrote:
Thanks to all for suggestions on keeping rodents out of gliders and
glider trailers.

So far, so good. *No signs of "Mickey Mouse" today.

A couple or three weeks ago, I did the following:

1. *I removed all food from the glider and the trailer. *I had a
pretty good supply of crackers and granola bars in there.

2. *I cleaned up all traces of mouse habitation (well, maybe not all)
in the glider and in the trailer with combinations of compressed air,
vacuum cleaner, and wash water. *The trailer is VERY CLEAN now! *And
so is the inside of the glider. *It's the cleanest it's been in years.

snip

A weak solution of biological washing powder is really good for that
sort of job, though of course you have to rinse properly. Use tepid
water, give it some time to work.

If you can work out where they are getting in, block the hole. They
can get through really tiny holes - 1/4 inch - use wire wool to plug
it and squirt that expanding foam over it from as many sides as you
can.
Old January 28th 08, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Meade

Mice lay trails by dribbling urine at virtually every step. This
shows up in the right UV light. You'll have to do a search for it,
but you can buy the UV flashlights and find out where the vermin are
moving.

Moth balls or flakes are another deterent.

Rodent Deterrent? rlovinggood Soaring 20 January 7th 08 06:22 AM
Nothing but F-8s, Part 2 - F8P.JPG (1/1) [28K] Netko Aviation Photos 0 February 23rd 07 03:22 PM
503 part name Dean Scott Home Built 5 November 1st 06 04:01 PM
Would you fly this one? (part II) Flyingmonk Piloting 3 April 30th 06 01:01 AM
Looking for an LS-3/4 part Gaines Paul Soaring 0 July 16th 03 03:16 PM