Ear Protection for Dogs

Old December 19th 03, 08:06 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Ross Richardson wrote:

Check this out as one person's protection. This was at a flyin and I
captured the picture.

Those appear to be kneepads with a thick foam pad glued to them. Neat idea. They
would stay on a Scottish Terrier just about three seconds, however. I don't know
how long my coonhound would tolerate them either, but she isn't a frequent flyer
anyway.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old December 19th 03, 08:15 PM
Shirley

snowbird101 wrote:

I guess you'd need to ask those who've told
you it exists.

Yeah, that's obvious ... of course I did that. It's the typical "I've seen dog
headsets for sale somewhere, I just can't remember WHERE!"

You asked about hearing protection but IMO of
more importance is figuring out how you will
secure the dog.

*Nods* on that, too. Fortunately, mine is only 13.5 pounds and used to riding
in a small plastic dog crate in the car, so she won't object to riding in her
crate and will be safely secure and tucked-away there.

Thanks.

--Shirley

Old December 19th 03, 08:42 PM
ET

unicate (Shirley) wrote in
:

Ross Richardson wrote:

Try this. I saw at an fly-in

http://www.eaa323.org/e060802/I58.jpg

Yes! That's what was described to me. Wonder if that was "homebuilt"
or purchased? do you know? I know some dogs would hate to wear it,
feel self-conscious and all that (!!), but mine is a real Attention
Brat, she loves wearing the latest thing! Seriously, she may tolerate
the noise fine, but I'd feel better if I at least made some attempt to
protect her ears.

Thanks for posting the pic.
--Shirley

Knee pads from walmart, back in the bicycle section $10. Some kind of
foam glued to them, probably with spray-on contact cement $8.

Having the stupidest looking dog at the fly-in... priceless..... :-)

Seriously though, I wounder how much that really helped...

--
ET

(future student pilot and future Sonex builder)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams
Old December 19th 03, 11:20 PM
Jeff

I have never heard of hearing protection for dogs, mine probably wouldnt tolerate
it anyways, but our french bulldogs fly with us all the time, no problems as of
yet. My wife also usualy does not wear a headset, she prefers not to wear one
because she likes to read books while flying.

loud noice can damage hearing over time, my dogs dont spend that much time in a
plane for it to be a problem.

Shirley wrote:

"Peter Duniho" wrote:

Never heard of such a thing. I can't
imagine my dog would put up with
something like that.

Well, it *does* exist because I've had more than one person tell me about it.
And yes, it *can* affect their ears/hearing, dogs have very sensitive ears and
some airplanes are *pretty* darn loud ... ever take your headset off? Imagine
riding the entire way like that! True, some dogs don't seem to mind or be
affected, and most people probably don't bother with it ... but clearly some
dogs can't stand it, I've seen that firsthand.

If prolonged motorcycle riding or loud live music can affect a human's hearing
over time, riding in a small airplane w/no ear protection probably could too
... and even if it doesn't damage their hearing, I really doubt it would be
very comfortable! But thanks for the opinion.

--Shirley

Old December 19th 03, 11:57 PM
Ross and Paula Richardson

It was built much like the others posted. The pilot and owner does
extensive flying in his C-206 around the country. The dogs seem to be OK
with the set up.

Ross

Old December 20th 03, 12:45 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Michael 182 wrote:

Occasionally, "Let me out."

Whatever side of the door the dog or cat is on, it's the wrong side.

Old December 20th 03, 12:47 AM
Judah

I know. I was just teasing you...

"Peter Duniho" wrote in
:

"Judah" wrote in message
"3 out of 5 veterinarians don't recommend hearing protection for dogs
in airplanes..."

Well, to be fair, I have no idea what a scientifically valid survey of
vets would turn up. It was three of three of vets I consulted. But
it's entirely possible those are the only three vets in the world who
don't recommend hearing protection.

Unlikely as hell. But possible.

Pete

Old December 20th 03, 03:12 AM
Blanche

I would strongly recommend crating the dog during flight or if that's
not feasible, a harness connected to the seatbelt in the back seat so
that the dog cannot change the W&B nor surprise the pilot.

The last thing you need (and it might be the last thing you do!) is
have a dog surprise you by jumping into the front seat. No telling
what they would do to the rudder pedals or the yoke.

Mine, on the other hand, would expect to be chauffered around and would
be sitting like a Queen in the back seat.

Twin nose protection Jim Burns Owning 5 January 4th 05 07:18 PM
Soverignty Protection Fighter Charles Talleyrand Military Aviation 11 July 19th 04 11:56 PM
Leading edge protection search Tim Hickey Home Built 0 June 28th 04 02:45 AM
How much protection on approach? Michael Instrument Flight Rules 20 January 15th 04 05:58 PM
Ear Protection for Dogs Shirley General Aviation 1 December 19th 03 10:12 PM