Sport Pilot - School Won't Offer

Old February 12th 05, 01:09 PM
Cub Driver

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 15:26:30 -0500, "W P Dixon"
wrote:

It will in fact take time for all of this to take hold. Partly due to
the fact that everything the government touches takes forever! And probably
alot of CFI's and flight schools will take there time at "getting with the
program". I can't tell you the different CFI's I talked to in this area that
had no clue as to what the "Sport Pilot" even was. Some do not even care to
know! I would hope any CFI would be like a MD , and get all the latest info

You're quite right, but a CFI with a will can cut through the garbage
and get something done.

Under sport pilot rules, recreational pilots were grandfathered
(grandsonned?) under the new ATC training procedures. The new rules
went into effect on September 1. On September 6 I had my endorsement
to fly in B, C, & D airspace, thanks to my CFI/friend and to AOPA.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
Old February 12th 05, 01:13 PM
Cub Driver

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 23:23:47 GMT, ET wrote:

You get your Sport Pilot. Fly around for 100 or 200 hours, go back and
get your night work, hood work, and towered radio work training, except
that takes VERY little time because the airplane is now almost second
nature to fly. Then choose to get your PPL.

There's also the factor that it's wise and it's fun to take additional
training. After 100 hours the local airports will all seem pretty
familiar, and you'll want a new challenge.

For me, it was spin training and bush pilot school. Last year it was
Class D airports, and I still haven't done any IFR training. Not
everybody wants to do the training in the same order.

Old February 12th 05, 01:30 PM
Cub Driver

minus long-distance flying (even with the
x-country you will have to land frequently to refuel because of limited
airplane size), ...

Oh, God, that would be awful! You mean we can't fly coast to coast at
35,000 feet without stopping somewhere?

Old February 12th 05, 06:21 PM
Helen Woods

Sounds like he has the sport pilot lisence confused with the
recreational lisence. Common mistake.

Sport Pilot is just now barely beginning to catch on in the mainstream
GA comunity. It's going to be quite a while before most schools offer
it in large part due to the lack of available planes that fit the
catagory. That is doubly so in the DC ADIZ as most of the planes now
available that fit the catagory are old 1940's trainers that don't have
an elctrical system required for ADIZ ops.

If you want to be able earn a Sport Pilot ticket at your local airport
in the ADIZ probably yuour best best is to look into buying an early
model Aercoup (later models don't qualify) and find a CFI who will work
with you. Early Aercouops fit the catagory, can suport a mode c
transponder, and are tricycle gear so finding a CFI won't be too hard.
They are also reasonably priced to buy and insure. They were originaly
built in MD so there are a lot around here as well as folks who can help
you find parts and maintain them.

Good luck.

Helen
Old February 12th 05, 06:44 PM
Helen Woods

PS. You can also burn auto fuel in that Aercoup and bring your
operating costs down to a fraction of anything you thought about reenting...
Old February 12th 05, 06:45 PM

Gary,

See http://www.sportpilot.org/, it's an EAA website. There's plenty of
information there that'll counter any mis-information you may be
hearing.

Also, it's not in MD, but see Valley Aviation in Winchester, VA, not
far from MD. They've got an Aeronca that they're using for SP
training. And, they're outside the ADIZ in the Shendendoah valley.

Some inside-ADIZ instructors I've talked to would be interesting in
teaching SP, but won't do it there since the complication factor with
Class Bravo and the ADIZ is too high in their view.

-Malcolm Teas

Old February 12th 05, 06:53 PM
Colin W Kingsbury

"Jürgen Exner" wrote in message
ET wrote:
Sport pilot is for all of us who want to just fly. Yeah you can get

Minus international flying (not recognized outside the USA), minus family
flying (limited to 2 seats), minus long-distance flying (even with the
x-country you will have to land frequently to refuel because of limited
airplane size), ...

If I had a sawbuck for every 172 that's rarely flown more than 2-3 hours
with no more than 2 seats filled and never leaving CONUS, I'd have enough
money to buy a new 172 or two.

-cwk.

Old February 12th 05, 09:30 PM
mike regish

Sounds like he has it confused with the recreational certificate.

mike regish

"Gary G" wrote in message
I started my PP training about 1 1/2 years ago, but due to some unfortunate
medical problems
in my family, have had to postpone it until this summer.

Now that the Sport Pilot license is available, I inquired with my school.
The manager basically said "it's useless" and couldn't really see why
anyone would
want it. Later in his conversation he says, "...unless someone just wants
to fly around
their airport - you can't really go anywhere..." - which is only partially
true
if one gets an endorsement on ADIZ, Class B, and Cross Country.
However, I see a great opportunity in this program, and would like it as a
stepping
stone to my Private.

Old February 13th 05, 03:07 AM
BTIZ

ET wrote:
Sport pilot is for all of us who want to just fly. Yeah you can get
signed off to fly to C and B airspace etc., but you don't need to do
that right away. At the base level sport pilot is PPL minus night
flight, minus VOR's , minus towered radio work (or any radio work at
all depending on equipment in the trainer); minus hood work.

Minus international flying (not recognized outside the USA), minus family
flying (limited to 2 seats), minus long-distance flying (even with the
x-country you will have to land frequently to refuel because of limited
airplane size), ...

I am sure I missed quite a few additional limitations

jue

Limited cross country.. based on where you are signed off to fly.. and
limited distance from "home" airport.. not a fuel thing..

also limited altitude to below 10K MSL, because the SPL does not get O2
deprivation training

BT