Looking for out of service main rotor blades for testing new rotor

Old July 19th 03, 09:52 PM
Wright1902Glider

Default Looking for out of service main rotor blades for testing new rotor

Have you tried contacting one of the commercial companies like Petroleum
Helicopters or Air Logistics? Both of them are located in (or near) Lafayette,
LA. If the blades from a Bell 206 would be of use to you, they might be able
to help. Otherwise, you might also try Barnstormers.com (.net?).

Harry
Old July 19th 03, 09:53 PM
Wright1902Glider

PS: If you do inquire with a commercial company, I would recomend NOT
mentioning that they will be used for testing.

Harry
Old July 20th 03, 03:13 AM
Del Rawlins

On 19 Jul 2003 12:52 PM, Wright1902Glider posted the following:
Have you tried contacting one of the commercial companies like
Petroleum Helicopters or Air Logistics? Both of them are located in (
or near) Lafayette, LA. If the blades from a Bell 206 would be of use
to you, they might be able to help. Otherwise, you might also try
Barnstormers.com (.net?).

The local A&P school here in Anchorage has trouble obtaining helicopter
components for use in classes because they tend to be time limited items,
and once the time is expired the owners usually cut them up or return
them to the manufacturer to be destroyed.

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/
Old July 22nd 03, 03:57 AM
Wright1902Glider

Well, don't tell anyone where you heard this, but a few of the big commercial
heli companies have a tendancy to hang on to certain expensive time-sensative
parts like blades. Just in case the FAA changes its mind about the service life
of a given part.

The worst they could do is not sell to you.

Harry
Old July 22nd 03, 05:16 AM
Duke

I appreciate the ideas. I have thought about the commercial angle, but
those blades are beyond the scale we were shooting for here. Our target
goal was under 1000 lbs dry weight for the whole craft and we were looking
to pin the rotor head weight+drive train+motor under 300 lbs total w/o
blades. The bigger blades are definitely great, but they are much heavier
which leads to the requirement for a much larger rotor head than we hoped to
finish with.

I work in the Oil and Gas Industry and am very familiar with the PHI,
Airlog, etc groups. I actually tried to get a set of old tail rotor blades
from the PHI guys in Lafayette for and unrelated project, but the answer I
got from their technical guy was that they couldn't do that as they were
required to send the blades back to (someplace I can't remember anymore) for
disposal.

Thanks,
Mike
ovrlrds at swbell dot net

Old July 22nd 03, 04:16 PM
Big John

Duke

Just saw a show on the History Channel a few days ago about airplane
junk yards. Bottom line was that the had stopped selling recycled
parts due to liability and now only sold for display or movie sets (or
something like that).

Know the survival of blades in a helio accident is unlikely but you
might contact these junk yards to see if you could get some blades for
your 'mock up'.

If you can't find the location of any junk yards call the History
Channel and try to get info from the producer who put together the
segment.

Also any old timer in the business of rebulding/repairing birds will
know how to contact these 'junk yards'.

Best of luck with your project.

Big John

Old July 24th 03, 05:35 AM
Duke

Thats an interesting idea.

Thanks very much.

"Capt. Doug" wrote in message
Big John wrote in message If you can't find the location of any junk

yards call the History Channel and try to get info from the producer who
put together the
segment.

Get a copy of Trade-a-Plane. Less than $5. All the big junkyards advertise
in it.

D.

Old July 24th 03, 04:18 PM
Big John

Capt

History show said that junk yards (or at least the one(s) they had in
show) had stopped recycling parts (even if yellow tagged) due to
liability (ambulance chasers). Is this now the norm in that industry?

Big John

Old July 25th 03, 07:56 PM
Capt. Doug

Big John wrote in message Is this now the norm in that industry?

Not to my knowledge. Check out a copy of Trade-a-Plane to see the multitude
of ads from salvage yards. Additionally, if I understand correctly, many of
the used parts are older than 18 years which means that GARA will limit
liability.

D.

Old July 28th 03, 06:06 AM
Harry Burns

Ha Ha Ha... just catching up on this thread again... yeah, I know that "Tech.
Guy" in R.O. Racks at PHI... tought me everything I know... and he'd
probably be ****ed if he knew I was the one who told you to check them out...

I ran accross a set of Bell Model 47 tail rotor blades on E-bay last year for
under $300. Might wanna keep your eye open...

Harry