Characteristic airplane injuries

Old November 25th 03, 06:36 PM
Ben Jackson

Default Characteristic airplane injuries

The fuel selector in my Comanche is ringed by the pushbuttons that
let you read the quantity in tanks other than the selected tank. My
index finger is just long enough that I manage to scrape my knuckle on
one of these each time I switch tanks in a counter-clockwise direction.

In a Cessna 172D I used to rent I had a habit of smashing a finger
(come to think of it, the same finger) between the flap lever release
button and the lever itself (it's a very tall button).

Anyone else have any injuries they tend to get over and over from an
airplane?

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old November 25th 03, 06:50 PM
Jay Honeck

Our oil dipstick access door has a spring-loaded button in the center that
you must press to release it. Both Mary and I have found that it's way too
easy to break fingernails backwards on that stupid button...

And I've jammed the wing-tip strobe light fixture into my ribs about a
zillion times, walking around the end of the wing...

And while cleaning the bottom laying on a rolling cart, it's easy to prong
the top of your head into the pointy aft end of the stupid nosewheel pant...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 25th 03, 07:30 PM
Sridhar Rajagopal

Bending your head down to avoid the wings, but forgetting about the
lowered flaps.

-Sridhar

Old November 25th 03, 07:50 PM
Bob Gardner

How about the characteristic diamond pattern on the foreheads of
pilots/instructors who walk into the trailing edge of a Cessna single's
wing?

Bob Gardner

Old November 25th 03, 08:40 PM
mikem

Bob Gardner wrote:

How about the characteristic diamond pattern on the foreheads of
pilots/instructors who walk into the trailing edge of a Cessna single's
wing?

Bob Gardner

Or how about the barked shins (on a spring-steel gear Cessna)

Old November 25th 03, 10:08 PM
Thomas Lembessis

Yes, Ben, the "Stopwatch" feature of the Wakmann wind-up clocks on the
B-727.
The stems are a b*tch to press in when starting and stopping the
elapsed time feature. Geez!

Thomas Lembessis

Old November 25th 03, 11:01 PM
Dave Stadt

"Ben Jackson" wrote in message
The fuel selector in my Comanche is ringed by the pushbuttons that
let you read the quantity in tanks other than the selected tank. My
index finger is just long enough that I manage to scrape my knuckle on
one of these each time I switch tanks in a counter-clockwise direction.

In a Cessna 172D I used to rent I had a habit of smashing a finger
(come to think of it, the same finger) between the flap lever release
button and the lever itself (it's a very tall button).

Anyone else have any injuries they tend to get over and over from an
airplane?

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/

Didya ever check compression and forget to hold the prop? All kinds of
possibilities.

Old November 26th 03, 01:21 AM
Chris Nielsen

After not flying Cessnas for a while (sticking to low-wing Pipers), I forgot
last weekend that when you get out of a 172, step OVER the wheel fairing
when turning to walk off - tripped over the wheel and dislocated my knee
(makes a frightful POP noise!) :-(

Painful to fly 3 hrs home after doing that!

cya

chris

Old November 26th 03, 02:47 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Ben Jackson wrote:

Anyone else have any injuries they tend to get over and over from an
airplane?

Yeah. I keep hitting my head on the flap hinges. I would love to cover them up
with some fairings (saw some nice ones at Sun'n Fun years ago), but there's no
STC for it. Hey, Jim! Would those be minor cosmetic changes?

George Patterson
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that can be learned
no other way.