Medical deferred

Old November 26th 03, 04:09 AM
Kevin Young

Default Medical deferred

(Also posted to rec.aviation.student - apologies if you're reading it a
second time!)

My class 3 medical has been deferred to the FAA. I'd be grateful for any
advice on how to proceed and what to expect. Is this really as long and
convoluted a process as I've heard?

There are 2 companies that provide expediting services - Virtual Flight
Surgeons and Pilot Medical Solutions ... I've contacted both of them. VFS
seemed upbeat about my chances, PMS (hmm - that doesn't abbreviate well)
made it sound a lot more ominous, though I'm not sure how much that was to
encourage me to use their services. Neither are cheap. Does anyone have
experience with either of them or have any opinion on how much they can
help with the process?

Old November 26th 03, 11:15 AM
Cub Driver

Is this really as long and
convoluted a process as I've heard?

Five years ago, it was 3-6 months for two cases I know of. The shorter
one was me. I got a friend who worked at the Dept Transportation to
call and inquire about it. A few days later I got a call from a clerk
who said that one line (drugs, I think) hadn't been filled out. I told
her "no" and the medical came through in a week or so.

If it's not in your hands in a month, why don't you call the office
(there's usually one in a nearby city) of your Congressman and whimper
a bit? Congressional staff love to make phone calls on behalf of
constitutents. It doesn't take much effort, and it makes voters happy.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put CUB in subject line)

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old November 26th 03, 02:04 PM
Roger Tracy

Call AOPA and get some advice from them.

.. .

Old November 26th 03, 02:05 PM
Hap

First, go to AOPA Medical section and read all material and obtain all
available information that pertains to your situation.

Next, print out the information so you'll be able to refer to it with
your AME and in calls you'll be making.

Then contact AOPA Medical Certification Dept; 1-800-872-2672. Gary
Crump is the Director.

Be ready to state your case and any questions in a clear and logical
manner; (very much like filing IFR with Flight Service!)

Good Luck

and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Old November 26th 03, 03:09 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Kevin Young wrote:

My class 3 medical has been deferred to the FAA. I'd be grateful for any
advice on how to proceed and what to expect. Is this really as long and
convoluted a process as I've heard?

A few years ago, the typical time was running about 3 months. That went up when
the Iraq war started as two of the surgeons were called up. I saw a notice in
either AOPA Pilot or Sport Aviation a few months ago that the FAA has hired a
few new people, which is expected to reduce the delays.

There are 2 companies that provide expediting services - Virtual Flight
Surgeons and Pilot Medical Solutions ... I've contacted both of them.

I would say to save your money. It will take several weeks for them to process
your file. If you don't hear anything for 30 days, you can call the FAA in
Oklahoma City at 1-800-350-5286 to check the status of your medical. If you
feel you help, join AOPA; it's a much better use of your bread. They have a
medical advice department.

George Patterson
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that can be learned
no other way.
Old November 26th 03, 03:58 PM
Michelle P

Kevin,

You would be wasting your money.
They are just going to do what you can do on your own.

Call the FAA Aero-Medical Cert Branch a few weeks after mailing the info
off to them. You can send it Express, This helps. Make sure everything
has your social security number on it or your Medical record number if
you have one.

Their number is 405-954-4821. Their address can be found on the AOPA
website or in the front of the Printed AOPA airport directory. Join AOPA
if you are not already a member. They are about more than just getting
your medical.

Michelle (speaking from experience)

--

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Old November 26th 03, 05:10 PM
Snowbird

"Kevin Young" wrote in message ...

My class 3 medical has been deferred to the FAA. I'd be grateful for any
advice on how to proceed and what to expect. Is this really as long and
convoluted a process as I've heard?

I can only share with you my experience.

My first medical was deferred.

I joined AOPA and contacted their medical certification department.
They provided me with information including copies of the AME's
handbook entry regarding my condition.

Armed with this info, I roughed-out a letter which included
all of the info and test results which seemed relevant. My
physician then touched it up, altered it, signed it, and mailed
it off, accompanied by copies of a couple test results.

I got my medical with no further problems. It took about two
months.

I don't know about the time scale today. Since the first medical,
I have been able to write "no change since previous medical" on
my applications and have not been deferred again.

I have no experience with "pay for expedition" services, but my
guess is that all they can do is make sure you send the FAA the
info they're going to want and tell them the things they're going
to want to hear on the first go-around, and IME AOPA is pretty durn
good at helping with that.

Good luck,
Sydney
Old November 27th 03, 12:42 AM
BTIZ

you need to know why it was deferred..

then call AOPA and join

BT

Old November 27th 03, 04:16 AM
Steve

Mine was deferred for the first time four years ago. Luckily I had a
very experienced AME who listened to AOPA's advice and sent everything
to the regional flight surgeon who reviewed all of the supporting
documentation and issued my medical in about one month. I was given a
class 2 medical but it specifically stated that it was not good for
any class after one year.

The next two years my new AME (other one retired) sent everything to
the regional flight surgeon and it took two weeks each time for the
medical with the same restriction to one year. At that point in time
I wondered why everyone was whining about how long it takes to get a
special issuance medical. This year I learned how lucky I had been.

Saw the AME on 8/19/03 and his office really screwed up. In spite of
my directions and the letter they get from the regional AME every year
they sent all of my paperwork to Oklahoma City. As I type this over
three months later I still do not have a medical. My condition has
not changed at all in four years and I'm sure it would have only taken
the regional flight surgeon two weeks to issue again.

I understand from my weekly call to Oklahoma that my paperwork is now
with their "correspondance department". This means something is being
typed up to send to me but they won't tell me what. I am assuming it
is the letter that goes along with my special issuance medical every
year because the airmen registry was updated online last week to show
I have a current third class medical. I applied for a second class
and I can't wait to see what this is about. I don't NEED the 2nd
class. I very rarely ferry airplanes short distances (only thing I've
ever done with my commercial cert) and will have no problem not doing
that until next year but there isn't any reason why I wouldn't qualify
for a 2nd class.

I recommend starting to call Oklahoma City after two weeks and calling
them weekly after that. I also recommend calling your local
representative and having their office call. Talk to AOPA and make
sure ALL possible supporting documentation you will need is sent right
away. If it is not too late and there is any way to convince your AME
to send your application to the Regional Flight Surgeon ask them to do
that.

There is absolutely no reason at all for it to take three months to
review even 100 pages of medical records and make a decision about
whether you qualify. This is a basic regulatory function the FAA has
and they should be embarassed with how poorly it is done. Their
beuracrcy is only matched by the 1970's Soviet Union. (Do I sound too
bitter?

I don't want to bring you down, just want you to be prepared for the
wait and for how aggressively you may have to follow up on this.

Steve

Old November 27th 03, 04:18 AM
Steve

Oops. Meant to be a response to Kevin above.